ClintFK7

First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK7 EXL
Country flag
I wanted to share my method of what I think is a necessary upgrade for anyone looking to do prolonged spirited driving with a CVT. I upgraded the entire cooling system on my FK7 but the real DIY part revolves around the CVT cooler as I ended up building my own kit.

I experienced CVT slip at 17K miles due to hot fluid temps with nothing more than a PRL intercooler, Ktuner stage1 (18 psi) base tune for 87 octane, and a K&N drop in air filter. Just before this happened I had noticed my coolant temps had climbed up to 219 after several hard pulls at the end of a 40 mile commute on a 91 degree day. Once the coolant temps came down, I made another pull and instead of holding at 6K rpm, the engine bounced off the rev limiter. In hindsight the engine oil and transmission fluid had not been able to shed the stored heat in the same way the engine coolant had, so I have no way to know how hot they had gotten from earlier. I eased the car home without further issue. After thoroughly changing the CVT fluid, the transmission held torque just fine, so for now it appears no damage was done.

Given I don't want to baby the car everytime it's hot outside, I looked into engine oil coolers and CVT cooler options. While there are multiple oil cooler options for 10th gens as the turbo tends to heat the oil under serious driving, there really wasn't much out there for the CVT likely because the 6MT gets all of the love.

I found that PRL had discontinued their CVT kit before it ever even took off. I found a few custom jobs on random Facebook pages, but nothing for sale as a kit until I came across the ETL kit available on Two Step Performance. There wasn't a lot of information in the product description and I only found 1 writeup with a picture of the mounted location on the forum but I decided to pull the trigger as it was my only option for a complete kit.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Ultimate CVT Cooler with pics 244003-FFCV_1024x1024

I ended up ordering the kit, but I did not think the cooler would get enough airflow behind the bumper where ETL intended to mount it similar to where the Spanish or Turkey factory CVT Civics have them. I also couldn't use that location because I needed to start running a PRL Cobra cold air intake in that location because my previous 27Won airbox had to be removed once I added the PRL intercooler as it would not clear the charge pipe and even my stock air box had never fully cleared the charge pipe causing the two to work together but always rub each other.

I decided to mount the trans cooler behind the grille, which also narrowed which oil cooler kits I could use. MAPerformance makes a beautiful engine oil cooler kit but I knew it took up too much of the factory grille to also run a trans cooler. That's when I noticed that the Sirimoto Oil Cooler kit from PRO Car Studio appeared to take up exactly half of the radiator, leaving the other half open for an identical sized cooler. That's when I found that Derale made a 19 row stacked plate transmission cooler with AN-6 fittings for 3/8 hose barbs that was the same size as the 19 row engine oil cooler. This was not only the right size, but had identical mounting tabs, and can shed more heat than a tube and fin style cooler. I picked up some Evil Energy 90 degree AN-6 to 3/8 barb fittings to make routing the lines from the cooler a bit easier.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Ultimate CVT Cooler with pics PXL_20210829_183904316

I also knew I needed to get more airflow through the grille than the factory solid bar grille would allow, so I picked up a Pro Car Studio open mesh grille.

I did not like how easily the factory engine coolant temps would spike from 185-195 during normal driving and now I was going to be blocking the entire surface area of the radiator with 2 coolers in front of the AC condenser so I decided to upgrade the radiator. I reached out to Unity Performance and picked up a Koyorad 2 row aluminum radiator. I also decided to run the 3 piece silicone radiator hose kit from MAPerformance.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Ultimate CVT Cooler with pics PXL_20210827_150645945.MP

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Ultimate CVT Cooler with pics PXL_20210827_150526888

Lastly adding these coolers would give me a way to mount temperature sensors for these two fluids that Honda didn't bother to monitor from the factory, so I picked up a pair of glowshift gauges.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Ultimate CVT Cooler with pics PXL_20210828_020720251

Once I mounted the engine oil cooler, it was apparent that I could use longer bolts on the inner mounting brackets to mount the transmission cooler as the bolt patterns are the same. I used some aluminum spacers from McMaster Carr to overlap the mounting tabs and I made two brackets from a sheet of stainless for the outer mounts of the trans cooler. The upper bracket is a basic L bolted to a threaded hole in the radiator support that Honda left unused. For the lower bracket, I just made an exact replica of Sirimoto's outer bracket.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Ultimate CVT Cooler with pics PXL_20210829_185225296

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Ultimate CVT Cooler with pics PXL_20210827_155812182

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Ultimate CVT Cooler with pics PXL_20210827_203634744

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Ultimate CVT Cooler with pics PXL_20210827_195225812

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Ultimate CVT Cooler with pics PXL_20210827_195239319

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Ultimate CVT Cooler with pics PXL_20210827_195243292

I also purchased a thermal bypass valve, but have not installed this yet. I still needed to know which line was hot for installing my temperature sensor as I wanted my gauge to read the temp from the hot side. I installed the trans cooler and used an infrared thermometer to see which line was hotter and which line was cooler. The bottom line from the ETL adapter block was hotter which tells me it is going to the cooler and the top line is lower temp so it was the return after the cooler. A few cheap aluminum hose spacers and some Earle's Vaporguard clamps help to protect the 3/8 rubber lines.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Ultimate CVT Cooler with pics PXL_20210829_183806458

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Ultimate CVT Cooler with pics PXL_20210829_180558222

I will watch my temps without the bypass and as we head into winter I will decide if I want to install it. I was going to use the bypass valve Derale makes but after test fitting it in every possible location, it's just too big for how tight everything else is on these cars. I ended up getting a TruCool by Long and it is much smaller, lighter, and therefore doesn't need a bracket. Again, I may not install it unless I see my temps are staying too cold in winter.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Ultimate CVT Cooler with pics PXL_20210829_184627908

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Ultimate CVT Cooler with pics PXL_20210829_184711126

When all was said and done, the ETL adapter block is the only part I used from the whole CVT cooler kit, but I'm happy with the end result. I do wish ETL had made their adapter block with a tab to hold the trans filter further in like the OEM warmer block has. I tested how far back the filter would be allowed to pop out when flush with the cooler adapter block and it did not appear to be able to travel beyond the full seat of the o-ring but I always like to see aftermarket parts retain factory fitment when possible.

The two coolers completely disappear behind the grille.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Ultimate CVT Cooler with pics PXL_20210827_222332735~2

I mentioned above that the PRL Cobra CAI was a necessity for me due to space issues with my PRL intercooler charge pipe. For this reason I can't attest to how much room the ETL adapter block would have behind the factory airbox as it does push the factory CVT warmer forward about an inch. I did have to bend the lower coolant line coming out of the warmer back a little to give more clearance to the back of the charge pipe. Given the necessary CAI, I went with a race MAF and adjusted my tune accordingly. I also cut the back out of the dummy slot on the driver side fake vent so some cool air can make it's way to the air filter. The hole is above the Lane Watch Sensor so it remains protected. I also added a shield to the front of the air filter so no direct road spray rain can hit the filter.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Ultimate CVT Cooler with pics PXL_20210821_140111117.MP

I plan to keep enjoying this CVT and the +3 psi base tune certainly won't kill the transmission provided I can keep the fluid cool enough to do it's job...mission accomplished.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Ultimate CVT Cooler with pics PXL_20210829_185653039

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Ultimate CVT Cooler with pics PXL_20210827_233739325

Last edited:

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Nice write-up. FYI you can log CVT temp with KTuner now. You may already know that, but it is a somewhat new feature.

OP
OP
ClintFK7

ClintFK7

First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK7 EXL
Country flag
Nice write-up. FYI you can log CVT temp with KTuner now. You may already know that, but it is a somewhat new feature.
Thanks. That is interesting. I didn't know that. I do know that my KTuner program on my laptop wanted to update when I recently reflashed but I didn't have time to update that day. I also had sent KTuner an email a while back asking if they were working on CVT monitoring and they responded with declining to comment on the matter.

Are you saying KTuner can now monitor CVT temps from a factory sensor or only log temps after adding an aftermarket sensor?

OP
OP
ClintFK7

ClintFK7

First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK7 EXL
Country flag
You can monitor it with the factory sensor. Update your KTuner unit and use the latest version of TunerView.
Thanks! I will update it tonight!

I literally asked KTuner about this in email on July 22, 2021 and they replied with refusal to comment on development.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think the CVT temp update has been out since before you asked. I get over 200 Fahrenheit at times on normal driving in 100 degree days in AZ so you may have boosted past that.

OP
OP
ClintFK7

ClintFK7

First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK7 EXL
Country flag
I think the CVT temp update has been out since before you asked. I get over 200 Fahrenheit at times on normal driving in 100 degree days in AZ so you may have boosted past that.
I updated and there it is.
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Ultimate CVT Cooler with pics PXL_20210901_005912593~2

This would have been useful to let me know I needed a cooler before experiencing slip, or at least to let me know when to stay out of the throttle. I'm glad the readout is available to all the CVT owners now!

OP
OP
ClintFK7

ClintFK7

First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK7 EXL
Country flag
Given the car has a factory trans temp sensor, do you think it stored any logs that I could access via the specialty menus in the rooted head unit? I'm really curious to know how hot the fluid temps got.

Tobiman

First Name
Oluwatobi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Sport Hatch
Country flag
Do you think there's space in front of the radiators to mount fans to boost cooling further?

Civii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Here’s the real question, how are your CVT temps after you added the cooler?If you don’t have a comparison since you didn’t have the update, what are your current temps and ambient temp?

OP
OP
ClintFK7

ClintFK7

First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK7 EXL
Country flag
Do you think there's space in front of the radiators to mount fans to boost cooling further?
There is room, but not with the bracket arrangement I used. You would need to mount the coolers farther back towards the condenser. Based on my temps, extra fans don't seem to be needed. Not only do they have unobstructed airflow, but they also benefit from the stock fan behind the radiator.

OP
OP
ClintFK7

ClintFK7

First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK7 EXL
Country flag
Here’s the real question, how are your CVT temps after you added the cooler?If you don’t have a comparison since you didn’t have the update, what are your current temps and ambient temp?
For ambient temps of 87-89 degrees, the transmission temp gets up to about 140F-150F within the first 5-10 minutes. After that it's a gradual climb to 160F and then only goes higher with aggressive driving. This holds true for even an hour of driving. Highest I have seen with hard pulls is 183F.

For ambient temps of 67-72 degrees, it takes about 10-15 minutes to reach 150F and then it hangs there. Can see 160F with aggressive driving.

All of this is without the use of a thermal bypass. I don't drive the car hard until trans temps are at least 150F.

Engine oil stays 140F-150F and driving style doesn't seem to cause this to fluctuate as much.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Ultimate CVT Cooler with pics PXL_20210830_212427414

My daily commute is about 40 minutes so my car rarely sees short trips. I'm okay with these temps but in the winter I will be watching to ensure things are getting warm enough.

Last edited:

Tobiman

First Name
Oluwatobi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Sport Hatch
Country flag
There is room, but not with the bracket arrangement I used. You would need to mount the coolers farther back towards the condenser. Based on my temps, extra fans don't seem to be needed. Not only do they have unobstructed airflow, but they also benefit from the stock fan behind the radiator.
Nice! I noticed that adding the ETL CVT adapter brought the CVT warmer too close to your intake pipe. Wouldn't it have been a better idea to connect a bypass valve in parallel to the CVT warmer and run your cooling system in series? That way, you could have returned your ETL CVT cooler for a refund, and you wouldn't have to worry about your CVT warmer sticking so far out.

OP
OP
ClintFK7

ClintFK7

First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK7 EXL
Country flag
Nice! I noticed that adding the ETL CVT adapter brought the CVT warmer too close to your intake pipe. Wouldn't it have been a better idea to connect a bypass valve in parallel to the CVT warmer and run your cooling system in series? That way, you could have returned your ETL CVT cooler for a refund, and you wouldn't have to worry about your CVT warmer sticking so far out.
There might not be any clearance issues with a factory charge pipe. After adding a little more bend to one of the factory hose barbs on my CVT warmer, I ended up with adequate clearance for the PRL charge pipe.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean about running the bypass valve in parallel to the CVT warmer and run my cooling system in series. It sounds you believe the aftermarket cooler could be installed onto the factory hoses that run to the CVT warmer.

Based on this, I'm wondering if you understand the design of the factory CVT warmer block. The two factory lines going into the front of the warmer are carrying engne coolant and not transmission fluid. The warmer block allows heat transfer from the engine coolant to the transmission fluid without mixing the two fluids. To run a transmission cooler you need an adapter that provides outlet and inlet ports for the transmission fluid to flow through. That was the critical piece I used from the ETL kit.

Does that make sense or did I misunderstand the cooler configuration you had in mind?
Sponsored