DIY: Trunk Lid Sound Dampening

civicxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring - White
Country flag
Hi Guys,

I made a quick guide on how to sound dampen the trunk lid for the 2016 Civic. This (along with a few other sound deadener additions which I will post guides to later) has really had a positive impact on my stock sound system.

Step 1: Remove the 9 clips that hold the material liner to the metal trunk lid. These clips have two side indentions that let you pop out the middle which will release the clip without damage. The liner should then pop off without issue.
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Trunk Lid Sound Dampening 9 Clips.JPG

Step 2: Begin strategically adding your sound deadener of choice. I ordered Noico (props to Bworks3) from amazon but you can always go with Dynamat or something else.

• Caution: Be sure to not cover the holes used for clipping the interior piece back on.
  • Caution: Be sure that you stay inside the covering area of the fabric for the best look. (Notice on my last picture that I had to push up the bottom edge because I went to low.)
  • Caution: Be aware of the weight of the sound deadener you are adding. After 2 or 3 pieces I would close the trunk and reopen it. Keep doing this to ensure that you are not overloading the hinges of the trunk lid.
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Trunk Lid Sound Dampening Before Noico.JPG
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Trunk Lid Sound Dampening After Noico.JPG
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Trunk Lid Sound Dampening Fixed bottom lip.JPG

Step 3: Reassemble! Those clips you removed earlier should click and lock the liner back into place.

Good luck guys!

Noico that I used
http://www.amazon.com/Noico-Self-adhesive-Deadening-Automotive-Insulation/dp/B00URUIKAK
http://www.amazon.com/Noico-Black-Self-adhesive-Automotive-Insulation/dp/B00PCLPXXQ

-X

View attachment 5390

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:

timothyjay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, will look more into doing this. I somewhat fixed the rattle in my vehicle by stuffing foam into the 3rd brake light area, which turned out great - helped a lot, but I'm always looking to try to make the sound better.

Did you use the whole 36 sq ft? I noticed there's one that's half the content (18 sq ft) and I wanted to see if that was enough, or is the whole 36 sq ft needed.

OP
OP
civicxxx

civicxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Come to think of it, I actually ordered the 18 sq ft as I was unsure at the quality of the Noico. I used about 2 of the 9 sheets on the rear lid (roughly 4 sq ft.) so the 18ft should be plenty for a few small projects. The only downside was that the 18 ft only comes in silver and I would prefer to use the black in the future. This is just a cosmetic preference as the seams of the black adhesive edges and imperfections would blend in better.

timothyjay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
I think I may have over done it? Lol. It definitely sounds better, especially when seated in the back seat. The sound is also not as "annoying" from the outside, which is always something I worry about.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Trunk Lid Sound Dampening ima

Last edited:
OP
OP
civicxxx

civicxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Wow nice job! I really like the satisfying thud the trunk makes now on mine. How many sheets did you end up using for that?

timothyjay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Only 2 1/2. I still have 6 full sheets left. It definitely didn't need that many sheets at all, and I kinda like the extra weight of the trunk. It doesn't feel as flimsy as before, and it seem to close itself with a light thud.

With that many sheets left, I feel like wanting to dampen a few other areas that would benefit from it. Have you thought about doing any other areas?

Wow nice job! I really like the satisfying thud the trunk makes now on mine. How many sheets did you end up using for that?

micha3lwin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CBP EX-T, 2013 CRV EX
Country flag
Thanks for stepping up and making a DIY for us! This is going on the list of mods for my Civic :thumbsup:

OP
OP
civicxxx

civicxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

timothyjay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Nice! I might play around with some more in the trunk as well. It's actually sounded so much better with the dampening and rattle fix that members have mentioned in this forum, that I'm honestly almost 100% happy. There would be sometimes when I'd play a song really loud that would have some sort of vibration in the low frequency, but it's manageable.

@timothyjay: As a matter of fact I'm planning on doing more areas on the sides of my trunk today! (They seem like they would be really east to get to.) I've also already done the metal under-panel for the back row of speakers similar to this post by Hondo - http://www.civicx.com/threads/touring-subwoofer-rattle-fix-and-dampening.1297/#post-29669
It seemed to help with the resonating on certain frequencies.

Underspeakers1.JPG
Underspeakers2.JPG
Underspeakers3.JPG

@micha3lwin Glad to help! Good luck with your projects!

CanadiaegeanBlue

First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan - Aegean Blue Metallic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Perfect thread to find as I just got 36sqft of Noico sound deadening / insulation delivered yesterday from Amazon!

Bought that quantity to reduce some drone in my Si sedan from the muffler delete by lining up the trunk bottom, but I should have extra left to place on the trunk lid and rear decklid as you folks have :)

KYRGYZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic LX, 18 Model X 100D
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
@timothyjay: As a matter of fact I'm planning on doing more areas on the sides of my trunk today! (They seem like they would be really east to get to.) I've also already done the metal under-panel for the back row of speakers similar to this post by Hondo - http://www.civicx.com/threads/touring-subwoofer-rattle-fix-and-dampening.1297/#post-29669
It seemed to help with the resonating on certain frequencies.

Underspeakers1.JPG
Underspeakers2.JPG
Underspeakers3.JPG

@micha3lwin Glad to help! Good luck with your projects!
I noticed there is an air trapped under your sound deadening.. try to make deadener flat as possible and release trapped air, I just did my civic as well, day and night difference, no more rattling
Sponsored