DIY Subwoofer Rattle Fix

cjar17

_cjar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring // Lunar Silver Metallic | 2001 Lexus IS300 // Onyx Black | 1994 Honda Civic Accord Coupe
So I got my touring back in December and needless to say I've seen some small fixes (whether it was local dealership/shops) to the annoying rattle from the subwoofer (Standard on all Touring Models). SO I've been debating for awhile on whether to take her in or just DIY. Called a few dealerships and they told me there was no "real" fix but they could take a look and see what they could do. Not wanting to really spend an arm and a leg (I usually do my own work on my cars to begin with) I decided to just mock up a DIY to fix it.

Heard a lot about reputable uses of Dynamat's, so I decided to purchase a sheet specifically this one:

Dynamat 10425 18" x 32" x 0.067" Thick Self-Adhesive Sound Deadener with Xtreme Wedge Pack
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Subwoofer Rattle Fix 31BPYCAZBML

http://www.amazon.com/Dynamat-10425...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

So took about 2 days to come in (Amazon Prime offers free 2 day shipping) and decided to go at it. About 30-40 US Dollars

Tools needed:
1. Box Cutter
2. Small Roller (You can pick up from Home Depot)
3. Sharpie (Trace the speaker/bolts)
4. Rubber Mallet (Just to really seal everything)

Took about an hour of work just trying to figure out where exactly the rattle was coming from (I surrounded the subwoofer, The trunk light area, and the space between the trunk light (you'll see it where the trunk light cord follows through, its hollow in between 2 sheets of metal).

It came out great! Almost little, to no rattle at all. I took a short clip just to show the sound result. (This was with the Subwoofer all the way, and the volume at 30, and my phone at full (Bluetooth connected). I surrounded the speaker because thats where the rattle was coming from aside from behind the trunk light (where a lot of people have been reporting to hear rattling as well).

Clips:
Sponsored

Last edited:

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for the write up. Glad it worked out for you. I'm surprised you didn't have to do anything around the brake light, I find that's where the majority of rattling came from. Recently I noticed the rattling came back so I took a look. The cheap foam the dealer used had either fallen out or deteriorated. I replaced with some sponge neoprene and the rattle was gone again.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
This post is featured on the front page!!

...but it looks like the Admin has made a humorous mistake lol
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Subwoofer Rattle Fix IVXSKDk

OP
OP
cjar17

cjar17

_cjar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring // Lunar Silver Metallic | 2001 Lexus IS300 // Onyx Black | 1994 Honda Civic Accord Coupe
This post is featured on the front page!!

...but it looks like the Admin has made a humorous mistake lol
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Subwoofer Rattle Fix IVXSKDk
Haha that autocorrect is killing us all. I had to go back and fix my thread multiple times because "Dynamat" kept self correcting to Dynamite:lol:

OP
OP
cjar17

cjar17

_cjar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I mean if it comes down to it, a little Dynamite might help that annoying rattle for some of our members who are dealing with it..:lol::dance:

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Dynamite would technically fix the rattle... i mean... no more car, no more rattle... right? haha :D

OP
OP
cjar17

cjar17

_cjar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dynamite would technically fix the rattle... i mean... no more car, no more rattle... right? haha :D
Thats one way to make your car into a coupe..:headbang::rofl:

Harry Da Hamster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
First thing i noticed were the tiny magnets on the speakers. If you're spending "Touring" money, you should at least get decent speakers (and memory seats but that's another thread!)

Thank's for the mini write up

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
Last edited: