First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic Si sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’ll be installing Whiteline springs this weekend (if I’m not working) and was looking for any advice b4 I tackle it.

I have jack stands, a decent tool set, a non-technical helper or 2, and all weekend. I’m relatively handy; exhaust, RMM, acuity bits, all were easy-peasy.

What sort of time am I looking at?

Anything you wish you knew beforehand?

Any special tools worth the bang for buck?

The Si as it is now:
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY spring install “what did you wish you knew b4 it?” BDBC612B-A979-488D-91A1-96C5B2AB4DA8
Sponsored

Kotaas

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What sort of time am I looking at? It took me about 5 ish hours mainly because I had to do it by myself.

Anything you wish you knew beforehand?
How annoying it is your first time doing it by yourself ?

Any special tools worth the bang for buck? Basic set of tools and a pry bar will help maybe even an extra jack stand to hold the control arm so it doesn’t hang there.

it should be easier with multiple people but you need a spring compressor to take off the spring safely.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I actually just did my sportlines yesterday, first time ever doing springs and did it alone. Took me basically all day.

+1 on spring compressors. I know some people do without but I don't mess with loaded springs.

Rears were super easy. Disconnect sway bar endlinks on both sides. Remove the 17mm bolt holding the lower control arm while supporting it with a jack. Slowly release the jack to release spring tension. They fall right out. If you want to trim the bump stops it's just two 12mms and one 17mm holding the strut on.

The fronts are a bitch. Remove the 3 14mm on the strut tower and leave one loosely connected to support it. Remove the swaybar endlinks, knuckle pinch bolt, and 3 lower control arm bolts. Make sure to remove the endlinks on both sides. Use a breaker bar to loosen the top hat nut a bit before removing the strut but leave a few threads still on for safety. Lube up the strut a bit where it meets the knuckle and just beat and push on that thing until the strut pops free. It's a lot of work and I wanted to quit several times but I managed.

Swap the springs and throw it back together. Reassembly is so much easier. Having an impact gun, even cordless, helps a ton.

Just got back from my alignment. Decided to skip the rear camber arms.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY spring install “what did you wish you knew b4 it?” 20210119_194052

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I can do them in about 3 hours tops with jack stands now, probably hour and half if I had a lift. The first time it took about 5-6 being real careful. The CTR is much harder than the Si or other trims. I use to unbolt the 3 bolt ball joints under the hub before, but now I leave them in and it makes reassembly go back together much easier and quicker. An electric impact gun was my best investment, saves my knuckles and hands.

OP
OP
jimmyreal

jimmyreal

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic Si sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks all.

I just ordered rear camber arms, the install looks simple but a PITA, is it easier to do alongside the springs or does it not matter if it's done at the same time?

Kotaas

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks all.

I just ordered rear camber arms, the install looks simple but a PITA, is it easier to do alongside the springs or does it not matter if it's done at the same time?
Might be easier to do em at the same time since you’re already down there tbh

Kane666

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
check the upper front mounts. mine squeaked a lot and never went away. grease them and check them.
Sponsored