DIY: retrofit Hondalink to LX/Sport

yunghro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
Can someone do this for me? I’m willing to pay you for the installation.. I’m in the Los Angeles area!! . I’ll buy everything that’s needed before hand thanks!!

Paolo1007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic lx
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi I’m not good in electronics i have the 2018 head unit from type-r that i want to install on my LX I bought the gps and the wire to the tablet but i cant figure out the wiring i need to power the unit please help me im from socal

yunghro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
Does anyone have any links on where I can buy the 5 pin and 16 pin connectors ?

Wisch

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Hatchback
Country flag

yunghro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
Is it possible to just put in the dupont connectors inside the unit without buying these socket housings?

edit: I did this for the 5 pin... is this ok?
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: retrofit Hondalink to LX/Sport 9C5FB0E9-BA61-4F06-9BFB-53BDECC4BDDA

Edit2: I couldn’t get the unit to power on... my old unit still powers on perfectly

Last edited:

Ender

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX Sedan
Country flag
Real quick, does anyone know the difference between the 39101-TGG-A21 headunit and the 39101-TEG-A81 headunit? They should both be compatible with the 4button+knob LG tablet.

kotarou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda FC2 - FFV
Country flag
Does anyone know if it's possible to just swap the screen from a unit without knob to one with it?

kotarou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda FC2 - FFV
Country flag
Yeah, but I don't know if my idea is crazy. I would like to swap just the tabet display and keep the unit. I'm not sure if this is possible.

MrRicer

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback LX
Country flag
So is this possible for someone who has 0 experience whatsoever with this type of stuff? Not as far as removing the interior pieces and etc.

But changing the connectors and stuff? I want to give this a go, but seems like it takes an experienced and knowledgeable person to tackle this

In SoCal and willing to pay somebody to do this lol

Fred

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
I haven’t got my fm tuner yet but I did figure out the wiring for the back up camera. So there is a wire loom behind the kick panel in the driver side footwell and there is a light green/turquoise wire for the reverse lights and if you splice into that you can run the wire up to the head unit

This is the wire you need to splice into, be careful in my car there were two that were the same color but the first one I tried wasn’t for the back up camera.
R3K5POv.jpg

I used a blue remote wire for an amplifier I used one of those blue things to splice into the reverse light wire.
VDF8a9K.jpg

Ran the blue wire up and behind the head unit
pkZMe1i.jpg

This is the wire harness that you will run your wire to
Rx5g1Ax.jpg

Shove the reverse wire in this slot number 15
GT2rXfV.jpg

Wire shoved in slot 15 and taped together so it stays put for now
j1renLU.jpg

It works lol
mgj0xZB.jpg
I successfully retrofitted an EX radio to my LX, I tapped on the green reverse lights wire and blew the meter fused attached to it, then cluster went blank. I am leaving the rear cam disconnected for now till I find a better solution. New cars do not like any voltage drops or overloads. Any other solution pls post.

DGriffin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
Hi, all. Did anyone ever figure out how to get the reverse camera to work automatically without splicing into that wire near the peddles?

The original head unit accomplished this using one of the wires in the OEM harness, right? Would it be possible to feed the signal from that wire into the new unit?

ColKaizer

First Name
Los
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda 2019 Hatchback sport
Country flag
Here are photos of the completed swap in my 2018 LX hatchback:
FM/HD Radio:
20200223_174906.jpg
SiriusXM:
20200223_174922.jpg
Working vehicle integration:
20200223_174956.jpg
Android Auto:
20200223_175113.jpg
Reverse Camera:
20200223_175142.jpg

Thanks to everyone that paved the way on this!

Next mod, variable wipers :thumbsup:
This is amazing bro. Can you do a before and after?

astrazinca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC LX SPORT
Country flag
hi
just want to know where is the best location that i can fix my AM/FM module because after installation and putt near dashboard very noisy while on

circuit.heart

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Sport (Si converted), '94 525i x2
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
hi
just want to know where is the best location that i can fix my AM/FM module because after installation and putt near dashboard very noisy while on
I glued mine to what feels like an A/C vent underneath the passenger side of the dashboard. Locking down all the wires helps big time to quell vibrations since you're unlikely to be making a factory style harness when doing this mod.

I finished mine this morning, including the reverse camera trigger.

If I can add one thing, anyone attempting to do this mod should avoid using wire taps. Unstable voltage on the + line was preventing my screen from turning on. As soon as I wrapped and soldered the wires in, everything worked perfectly.

Last edited: