Ghernandez42

First Name
Giovani
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord, civic
Country flag
Installed my stereo today, and I'm happy to report it's working right. I couldn't get the reverse signal to work at the fusebox, so I took my wire down to the kick panel and had success splicing into the turquoise wire there. Next step is to cough up the money for an AM/FM tuner, then I can install that and I'll be all set.

I'm working on a set of very comprehensive instructions-- with photos. Hopefully they will make the difference if you want to do this and don't feel confident. It's not as hard as it looks.
Should I post my guide in two parts, or wait until I put in the AM/FM tuner and post the whole thing at once? (I do live in the LA area, but with the right guide I don't think you'll need to call me.)
where did you get the male connector that connects next to the blue connector onto the screen
Sponsored

Ender

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX Sedan
Country flag
where did you get the male connector that connects next to the blue connector onto the screen
I bought this piece from Digi-Key: JAE Electronics MX34005SF1
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/MX34005SF1/670-2284-ND/2044195
It's a perfect fit for the 5 pin port that goes into the tablet.

For the 16 pin connector, I also recommend JAE Electronics MX34016SF1
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/MX34016SF1/670-2290-ND/2044201
This is the "E" connector that goes right next to the 24 pin "A" connector (which is the one already in your car). The control wire that comes out of the 5 pin on the tablet goes into the E connector, so you'll need this even if you don't install a tuner.

You might also want some of these: JAE Electronics M34S75C4F2
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/M34S75C4F2/670-2006-1-ND/1969249
These are the pins to fit in these housings. It's a good idea to use a crimping tool with them.

I'm working on the full list of parts and tools for the tutorial I'm writing up, but I haven't actually got around to buying an AM/FM tuner for myself. Since nobody's requested the how-to yet, I'm thinking I'll wait and post it all at once later.

Ender

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX Sedan
Country flag
Nice work, man! Definitely a far cleaner solution, and I applaud how many pictures you included. I think your work will help make this possible for a lot of people. I would extend an invitation to buy you a drink for your efforts, but... well, you know.

I'm probably still going to throw together yet another how-to for anybody that wants to stumble through the wiring themselves. (Even if does wind up being 20+ pages into this thread.)

Hdale85

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford F-150
Country flag
Hi, I've been trying to research this for my Cousin as he bought a 2017 Civic that has the base radio in it and has now decided he wants Android Auto. What I'm unsure of is do you HAVE to replace the radio part? Or can you just replace the screen part? I've done this in fords before and generally unless you want to upgrade radio features you just need to swap out the screen and APIM on those cars to get Sync 3. So I'm just verifying that both need to be done or if we can just upgrade the screen itself if we're just trying to add android auto.

Ender

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX Sedan
Country flag
So, the best way I can explain this—the LX stereo is not two parts. It's a single chunky double DIN nugget that's all one piece of hardware. The HondaLink stereo is two separate pieces, and there are more (and different) connectors on the back of the headunit itself. Even if you did manage to remove the screen from the LX stereo, the ports and pins you need just aren't there. (I am oversimplifying here, there are many other differences in the software and hardware.)

Tl;dr is no, replacing this stereo is all or nothing.

It's not a small investment, but I honestly think it's worth every dollar.

Adelao88

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
For anyone interested, plug and play harnesses are available, as are a set of comprehensive installation instructions.

https://www.civicx.com/forum/thread...o-upgrade-plug-and-play-wiring-harness.64732/
[/QUOTE
For anyone interested, plug and play harnesses are available, as are a set of comprehensive installation instructions.

https://www.civicx.com/forum/thread...o-upgrade-plug-and-play-wiring-harness.64732/
How can I purchase a harness??

eyenthesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 LX MT
Country flag
Many thanks to all...just did this upgrade and it works like a charm! To carry it further, can anyone shed light on the LVDS2+ cable and if its worth getting it connected, if possible. Txs

ThatInternetGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
I've got mine just about done with custom wire harness installed. However, my screen won't dim at all. Impossible to drive with at night with how bright it is. I have wired Pin 3 of the Center Display Unit Connector A (5p) to the Pin 6 on the Climate Control, but to no sucess. Otherwise, I am all done. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

AmariRadiance

First Name
Mari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
I had no prior experience to anything related to this kind of install but the installation guide made it pretty easy along with the harnesses. Just need to get the backup cam working when I have time but everything else is perfect.

yunghro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
I had no prior experience to anything related to this kind of install but the installation guide made it pretty easy along with the harnesses. Just need to get the backup cam working when I have time but everything else is perfect.
Any updates ?

yunghro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
I still didn’t comeplete the backup camera connection but I am going to try again tomorrow. Any tips if you’ve completed it?
Yeah it’s not clear what greenish color it is, it was tricky for me because there’s like 3 of the same colors

PistolPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
I've got mine just about done with custom wire harness installed. However, my screen won't dim at all. Impossible to drive with at night with how bright it is. I have wired Pin 3 of the Center Display Unit Connector A (5p) to the Pin 6 on the Climate Control, but to no sucess. Otherwise, I am all done. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I’m having the same issue - the brightness control doesn’t seem to have any effect, and the screen doesn’t auto dim with the headlights on. Did you ever get a resolution to this problem?
Sponsored