DIY: retrofit Hondalink to LX/Sport

Zed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6MT FK7 (Sold), 991.2 Carrera S, 3rd Gen Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi, all. Did anyone ever figure out how to get the reverse camera to work automatically without splicing into that wire near the peddles?

The original head unit accomplished this using one of the wires in the OEM harness, right? Would it be possible to feed the signal from that wire into the new unit?
You have to splice into the wire at the kick panel. There is no other way.
Sponsored

Zed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6MT FK7 (Sold), 991.2 Carrera S, 3rd Gen Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So is this possible for someone who has 0 experience whatsoever with this type of stuff? Not as far as removing the interior pieces and etc.

But changing the connectors and stuff? I want to give this a go, but seems like it takes an experienced and knowledgeable person to tackle this

In SoCal and willing to pay somebody to do this lol
You can't really mess anything up as long as you pay attention to what wires go where and have a basic understanding of circuits. I am in SoCal and have completed the swap if you need any help.

DGriffin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
You have to splice into the wire at the kick panel. There is no other way.
I've since completed my install and I did end up splicing the wire. Thanks for the reply though. And thanks to everyone else in the thread.

Alexis

First Name
Alexis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
You can't really mess anything up as long as you pay attention to what wires go where and have a basic understanding of circuits. I am in SoCal and have completed the swap if you need any help.
I'm having trouble getting power to the head unit. The radio fuse keeps blowing so I know I'm definitely doing something wrong. I'd be willing to pay you if you would be willing to help. I live in Chino not far from Orange.

lldbswlghll

First Name
Jiho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Country flag
I have a 2020 Civic LX that I bought about a month ago with a standard 5" display.
I really want to do this, but I would want someone to watch over so I can get this done the right way and have the standard functionality still available. Anyone in Minnesota / North Dakota / DFW area that I could get some help with?

Romo_emy

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
Hi everyone – I've successfully retrofitted a Hondalink (ex and above radio) into my LX. It completely changes the driving experience, and it has been working great for the past 2 months or so. IF you are looking for an OEM retrofit, upgraded audio quality, and NO modifications to original wiring, this is for you. Having the Hondalink also allows you to customize the convenience features on the car (locks, lights etc) All in all, I believe I've spent a little over $200 in parts and a further $200 in tools and cables/accessories etc.

IMG_20170805_192914919_zpsupjjyzer.jpg

Following is a brief explanation of what you will need, I think this is best described as a 2 stage process: (i) Bluetooth, Android Auto & Apple Carplay, (ii) Adding AM & FM. Potentially, you can add-on LaneWatch, XM radio, Amp, digital cluster at a reasonable cost.

Worth noting there are variants and sub-models, ie. some equipment have native XM and HD radio, some have Nav,etc . I went for the barebones one, which is what you will see in the pictures below (no XM/HD no Nav/no Amp). I've not yet enabled the rearview camera (there is an extra wire which needs to be connected at the interior Fuse Box (have not yet found in which of the fuse box’s connectors to add).Further, steering wheel controls work perfectly (despite not having up/down function, which is present on the EX+)

As always, any modifications you do to your property is of your own responsibility, this tutorial is for information proposes.

1. Materials:
1.1- Basic Set-up (only native Bluetooth, USB connection, Android Auto and Apple CarPlay):
• 1 - “Tablet” - ~$700 New;~30 to 100 Ebay; part no 39710-TBA-305
• 2- Head UnitBrains - ~1200 New ~150 to 250 Ebay; part nos 39101-TBA-A21 (barebones No HD/XM and no Nav), 39101-TBA-A31 (HD/XM), 39101-TBC-A71 (Fully Loaded)
• 3- GPS Antenna - $15 - part no 39835-TBA-A01 (alternative google Honda GPS antenna)
• 4 (Optional)- Secondary USB - $30 - part no 39114-TBA-305
• 5 - Blue connector-Harness from “tablet to Brain” (often is included when you buy either #1 or #2) - $25 - part no39725-TBA-A01

1.2-Adding AM/FM module Set-up:
• 1 - Tuner - $80 - part no 39800-TBA-A11(AM/FM) or 39800-TBA-A21 (AM/FM/XM radio)
• 2 -Small Male Antenna Connector x2 - $10 - part no Mobilistics adapter for 2016 Civic
• 3 -Single Male Antenna Connector - $10 - part no39835-TBA-A01
• 4 - Double Male Antenna Connector - $10 - part no METRA 40-HD22
• 5 - Motorola-style M-M Connector x2 - $5

1.3-Additional parts, tools, and connectors:
- $10 per day to access the Honda diagrams and specifications https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/logon.aspx

- On ebay, buy connectors and harnesses for Hondas (anything from 2010 onwards are reasonably similar, independent of the model, as the specifications are very similar). This will allow you to customize the connectors and have a solid mechanical OEM Fit. Also, this will serve to re-use OEM-quality cables and terminals.

- On amazon, buy a 635 pcs Dupont Connector, M-M, M-F and F-F Dupont (same as used for Arduino). This kit comes with wiring, solderless male and female terminals and different housings b/w 1 and 10 pins. These are sufficient caliber to conduct the amperage and have a decent grip to the connectors.

2. Bench Procedure:
This portion will be all about creating the additional wiring harness, which basically consists of 3: (i) back of the radio 16 pin connector (aka E connector) (Required) (ii) tablet straight 5 pin connector (Required) (iii) AMFM module straight 10 pin (optional). Below are the diagrams:

2.1 16 pin E connector
upload%2016%20pin_zps69ijebxc.jpg

2.2 Tablet Connector
uploadtabletconnector_zpsnbk6xeex.jpg

2.3 10 Pin AMFM module connector
upload%2010%20pin_zpsbxcwn8g8.jpg
Sorry if this seems like a dumb question.. I've never done this before. For the AM/FM module I'm having trouble finding #5 labeled the "Motorola-style M-M Connector". Can anyone help me find it? It seems like thats the only one I'm not having any luck with. Thanks in advance.

Moeqasem

First Name
Mohammad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic LX 2017
Country flag
guys fast question I want to add a backup camera, to the head unit (5 inches) do I connect the 7 wires from the backup camera direct to the head unit, or is there anything else i should do ?

JacCry22

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Hi everyone – I've successfully retrofitted a Hondalink (ex and above radio) into my LX. It completely changes the driving experience, and it has been working great for the past 2 months or so. IF you are looking for an OEM retrofit, upgraded audio quality, and NO modifications to original wiring, this is for you. Having the Hondalink also allows you to customize the convenience features on the car (locks, lights etc) All in all, I believe I've spent a little over $200 in parts and a further $200 in tools and cables/accessories etc.

IMG_20170805_192914919_zpsupjjyzer.jpg

Following is a brief explanation of what you will need, I think this is best described as a 2 stage process: (i) Bluetooth, Android Auto & Apple Carplay, (ii) Adding AM & FM. Potentially, you can add-on LaneWatch, XM radio, Amp, digital cluster at a reasonable cost.

Worth noting there are variants and sub-models, ie. some equipment have native XM and HD radio, some have Nav,etc . I went for the barebones one, which is what you will see in the pictures below (no XM/HD no Nav/no Amp). I've not yet enabled the rearview camera (there is an extra wire which needs to be connected at the interior Fuse Box (have not yet found in which of the fuse box’s connectors to add).Further, steering wheel controls work perfectly (despite not having up/down function, which is present on the EX+)

As always, any modifications you do to your property is of your own responsibility, this tutorial is for information proposes.

1. Materials:
1.1- Basic Set-up (only native Bluetooth, USB connection, Android Auto and Apple CarPlay):
• 1 - “Tablet” - ~$700 New;~30 to 100 Ebay; part no 39710-TBA-305
• 2- Head UnitBrains - ~1200 New ~150 to 250 Ebay; part nos 39101-TBA-A21 (barebones No HD/XM and no Nav), 39101-TBA-A31 (HD/XM), 39101-TBC-A71 (Fully Loaded)
• 3- GPS Antenna - $15 - part no 39835-TBA-A01 (alternative google Honda GPS antenna)
• 4 (Optional)- Secondary USB - $30 - part no 39114-TBA-305
• 5 - Blue connector-Harness from “tablet to Brain” (often is included when you buy either #1 or #2) - $25 - part no39725-TBA-A01

1.2-Adding AM/FM module Set-up:
• 1 - Tuner - $80 - part no 39800-TBA-A11(AM/FM) or 39800-TBA-A21 (AM/FM/XM radio)
• 2 -Small Male Antenna Connector x2 - $10 - part no Mobilistics adapter for 2016 Civic
• 3 -Single Male Antenna Connector - $10 - part no39835-TBA-A01
• 4 - Double Male Antenna Connector - $10 - part no METRA 40-HD22
• 5 - Motorola-style M-M Connector x2 - $5

1.3-Additional parts, tools, and connectors:
- $10 per day to access the Honda diagrams and specifications https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/logon.aspx

- On ebay, buy connectors and harnesses for Hondas (anything from 2010 onwards are reasonably similar, independent of the model, as the specifications are very similar). This will allow you to customize the connectors and have a solid mechanical OEM Fit. Also, this will serve to re-use OEM-quality cables and terminals.

- On amazon, buy a 635 pcs Dupont Connector, M-M, M-F and F-F Dupont (same as used for Arduino). This kit comes with wiring, solderless male and female terminals and different housings b/w 1 and 10 pins. These are sufficient caliber to conduct the amperage and have a decent grip to the connectors.

2. Bench Procedure:
This portion will be all about creating the additional wiring harness, which basically consists of 3: (i) back of the radio 16 pin connector (aka E connector) (Required) (ii) tablet straight 5 pin connector (Required) (iii) AMFM module straight 10 pin (optional). Below are the diagrams:

2.1 16 pin E connector
upload%2016%20pin_zps69ijebxc.jpg

2.2 Tablet Connector
uploadtabletconnector_zpsnbk6xeex.jpg

2.3 10 Pin AMFM module connector
upload%2010%20pin_zpsbxcwn8g8.jpg
So after you put the new head unit in, does the factory backup camera still work?

Kirov

First Name
Alexander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi guys!

So I did everything by instructions on 1st and 2nd pages and everything works fine. Except one question: I don’t have Sound. Even when I tap on sound bar (or on wheel) I don’t even get any notifications on screen about sound changing. Any advice about it? Also wheel buttons are working (at least change track)

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: retrofit Hondalink to LX/Sport 239B3242-0DE0-4C77-AFE4-DFC4E4567A51

I don’t have tuner, AM/FM module installed, could it be reason? I did all instructions for not installing AM/FM.

Also, any advice how to get camera working on rear mode?

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: retrofit Hondalink to LX/Sport 3AD4C777-3804-4BBB-A3C0-8F5E9E6F52F7

Last edited:

Kirov

First Name
Alexander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just made a new thought: my HU model is 39101-TFK-G72-M1. Maybe it has external amplifier? If so, could you please share with me part no I need to buy to get things working? And also need an advice: is it easier to buy amplifier or should I just buy HU with internal one?

kotarou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda FC2 - FFV
Country flag
I think its easier to get one with the built in. Less wires and simple.

If your HU has the double "antenna plug" in the middle it requires the external amp.
This photo is upside down but it's fine to understand.
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: retrofit Hondalink to LX/Sport 1612052073953

This uses SPDIF2 for the amplifier.
The built in model does not have it.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: retrofit Hondalink to LX/Sport 1612052104091

Kirov

First Name
Alexander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think its easier to get one with the built in. Less wires and simple.

If your HU has the double "antenna plug" in the middle it requires the external amp.
This photo is upside down but it's fine to understand.
1612052073953.png

This uses SPDIF2 for the amplifier.
The built in model does not have it.

1612052104091.png
Yes, it has double antenna plug. Got it, thanks.

kotarou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda FC2 - FFV
Country flag
In this case you need the external AMP or change the HU for one that does not requires the amp.

kidshback

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX hatchback
Country flag
I have a 17 Civic LX I'm retrofitting with a 2019 Civic SI head unit. After getting the necessary parts I think im ready to install. My only question is the rearview cameras issue. I compared the LX wiring and SI/EX wiring. In the 24p connector of the LX, space 23 had a red wire going into it. Red is for models without the ACC (adaptive cruise control...I think) diode. Is there a chance space 23 could either be tapped and ran to space 15 of 32p SI/EX connector to get the rearview camera to work. This would mean no tapping of the light green wire at the fuse panel. Or am I completely missing something. The LX camera worked before the retrofit and this is the only wire not accounted for in the SI/EX wiring. Thanks.

Kirov

First Name
Alexander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Haven't found any suitable topic, so Im going to write it here.

Anyone retrofitted restyle dashboard to old Civics?

So I got 17 Civic Sport and I have this dashboard (photo from the Internet):

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: retrofit Hondalink to LX/Sport 1612626652798

And I bought & dream to retrofit this one:

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: retrofit Hondalink to LX/Sport 1612626716350

So any manuals or advices?