DIY Request: How to remove interior dash trim

Rowen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' Civic Touring, 07 BMW e90
Country flag
Hi guys,

I'm trying to carbon wrap my interior trim on dash, door panels & shift knob pad. Has anyone ever removed the trim to make it easier to wrap them? I've noticed most of the people here have just cut out the vinyl and installed it on the trim like a decal.

If anyone could write up a DIY that would be awesome for all the members here. The OEM trim is nasty. I'd like it to match the center carbon fiber like on our seats :)
Sponsored

jcoil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Kinda agree...they should have given it a carbon wrap look like the insert in the seats.

Zx1truth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 300ZX, 2010 Camaro SS2, 2013 Chevy Equinox, 2016 Civic EX
Bump .......for this DYI!!!! Anyone?????

frnkp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Si and 2016 Civic LX Coupe (6spd)
Vehicle Showcase
I removed all of my panels to wrap them but I'm not sure this would be a DIY kind of job unless you're very familiar with how cars come apart.
Start by removing console side panels, unscrewing the shifter trim, unsnap the ac controls, remove the radio and then using a small right angle hook tool carefully pry the left ac vent and panel out little by little; once this is done you can move the work bench (mine is covered in carpet) to unscrew the silver trim panel.
the small panel to the left of the radio just pops out.
the vent on the far left is similar to the panel on the right, just using the right angle hook tool carefully go between the vent and the dash until the vent is loose..

I installed car stereo for a living for more than 15 years so as my wife says "I make it look easy"
the whole job start to finish for me was about an hour.

Dead Pool1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring (Black on Black)
I removed all of my panels to wrap them but I'm not sure this would be a DIY kind of job unless you're very familiar with how cars come apart.
Start by removing console side panels, unscrewing the shifter trim, unsnap the ac controls, remove the radio and then using a small right angle hook tool carefully pry the left ac vent and panel out little by little; once this is done you can move the work bench (mine is covered in carpet) to unscrew the silver trim panel.
the small panel to the left of the radio just pops out.
the vent on the far left is similar to the panel on the right, just using the right angle hook tool carefully go between the vent and the dash until the vent is loose..

I installed car stereo for a living for more than 15 years so as my wife says "I make it look easy"
the whole job start to finish for me was about an hour.
You can get the idea of it from this video. It shows the stereo removal. Just be aware that you remove the dash trim by lifting the lower section up then pulling toward you to release the upper clips. I used a panel remover to start the corner and then put a 3 inch putty knife behind the trim to evenly pry up. Once the radio is out you can pop the silver trim off. I will note that I could not separate the silver trim pieces without fear of them breaking. So wrapped the vinyl and used a plastic blade to push it between the pieces. It took about two hours. But I'm relatively new to vinyl. So I pulled two pieces off and started over. Sorry I didn't video. I guess I was too excited. Good luck.

kyle_agronick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sensing
Country flag
If you find the manuals for installing the accessories (lighted door sills, auto dimming mirror, wireless charger) they detail what needs to be done to take out all the panels for whatever it is installing.

Sammymatik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic Sport 6MT, 91' miata, 02' beater DD civic hybrid
Country flag
I was thinking of making some actual carbon fiber replacements.... I love carbon, work with it everyday, seeing these fake trim pieces annoys me.... I'm a bit leery about taking apart the dash though. Anyone remove these pieces yet? The easiest thing to do would be to get a full set of replacements rather than use the ones from my car. Knowing me I"ll remove them then take way too long to make the molds and my wife will bitch about it every time she gets in the care... :-(

Fanoflive

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Coupe EXT 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was thinking of making some actual carbon fiber replacements.... I love carbon, work with it everyday, seeing these fake trim pieces annoys me.... I'm a bit leery about taking apart the dash though. Anyone remove these pieces yet? The easiest thing to do would be to get a full set of replacements rather than use the ones from my car. Knowing me I"ll remove them then take way too long to make the molds and my wife will bitch about it every time she gets in the care... :-(
I have removed mine and done the vinyl wrap. You will have to follow the instructions for removing the stereo, then I used interior trim under the silver trim and popped it up to remove the whole piece. I made a YouTube video but it was late and it is dark due to poor lighting.

Sammymatik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Very cool! Is that a special tool your using? Also, how do the trim pieces attach? Looks like tabs click fit in? And screws?

I did manage to find the replacement trim pieces. Ill probably have to buy a set to make a mold off of so i don't leave my car taken apart.

Yours looked nice, can you take some pics in better light? I love the carbon look but detest fake carbon... if i can get in gear, ill try to make a set. I might be a bit slow to move.

Fanoflive

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Coupe EXT 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Very cool! Is that a special tool your using? Also, how do the trim pieces attach? Looks like tabs click fit in? And screws?

I did manage to find the replacement trim pieces. Ill probably have to buy a set to make a mold off of so i don't leave my car taken apart.

Yours looked nice, can you take some pics in better light? I love the carbon look but detest fake carbon... if i can get in gear, ill try to make a set. I might be a bit slow to move.
I have more pictures in my garage. The trim tools I got from Advanced Auto, like 15 dollars. Other than removing the stereo, all the trim pieces are clips, and tabs. The pieces I wrapped are attached to the dull silver by screws.

Sammymatik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Id be interested in your other pics. Im gonna order a set of tools, found some on amazon for $9.

Though i think im gonna buy a set of trim pieces so i can try to mold them. The hard part will probably be the tabs. Ill bet im gonna have to 3d print them most likely. But id love to make then a drop in type replacement. Id imagine if o had some, theyd sell pretty easily. The stock ones arent cheap though....

All talk right now but, ill keep thinking about this project. Just got my car, so i have a few things planned. And i love the carbon look, just would love it more if it were real.

If you could post the other pics you have, it may be helpful

Sammymatik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Id be interested in your other pics. Im gonna order a set of tools, found some on amazon for $9.

Though i think im gonna buy a set of trim pieces so i can try to mold them. The hard part will probably be the tabs. Ill bet im gonna have to 3d print them most likely. But id love to make then a drop in type replacement. Id imagine if o had some, theyd sell pretty easily. The stock ones arent cheap though....

All talk right now but, ill keep thinking about this project. Just got my car, so i have a few things planned. And i love the carbon look, just would love it more if it were real.

If you could post the other pics you have, it may be helpful

c0572325

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX
If anyone could write up a DIY that would be awesome for all the members here. The OEM trim is nasty. I'd like it to match the center carbon fiber like on our seats :)
There is a great video from ProCivic's short throw shifter install that shows them removing all the interior column trim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dit7KpQiNSE

Sammymatik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag