DIY Request: Brake Fluid Change

somarilnos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Has anyone done this on their Civic yet who is willing to provide a write-up on the subject? It's due with my next oil change and this is something I've never done on my own before. Any advice on the subject would be appreciated.
Sponsored

OP
OP

somarilnos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
That looks like a good video - thanks for sharing. Once I got past the thick Philly accent in a stretch where he said "water" like 20 times in a minute, it was smooth sailing. Should be helpful in doing this!

OP
OP

somarilnos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
15535579_720023001495021_1306466843136884736_n.jpg
ChrisFix is awesome. I watch him even tho I know how to do all that stuff already lol
It's a well done video, and I appreciate that he goes into the additional explanation as to why this is important. More than just being able to do these things, I like being able to understand what's going on, and it helps for that.

davidgostbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex-t 2016
Country flag
I’ll attempt to do a video today. Make sure you do the brakes in this order for our car Driver front, passenger front, passenger rear, driver rear. After doing all that pump brakes 5 times and drain passenger rear and driver rear once more. Might also want to lube up your brake caliper pin with silicone paste since you have everything off.

https://www.civicx.com/threads/brake-fluid-code-7-after-only-33k-highway-miles.20247/page-4
Look for a comment by BaldHeadRacing, he graciously provided us with Honda’s brake fluid instructions

Last edited:

Phylanx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 CRV, '17 Si Sedan
Country flag
Love watching ChrisFix's videos. It helped me with changing out the rotors and pads on the CRV.

Frixos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MINI Cooper R56, 2016 Civic EX
Country flag
Does anyone know how much brake fluid would be needed to change all the brake fluid?

RedGiant217

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Accord
Country flag
Does anyone know how much brake fluid would be needed to change all the brake fluid?
I've never needed more than 32oz on any car I've done. (Trucks and SUVs might need more since the lines are a little longer.)

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
No more than a couple of pints.. its in the manual.. under fluid capacities. Honda uses DOT 3 fluid. Quantity depends if you are doing a full flush/vacumn or just a bleeding.

Dimitron84

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI
Country flag
I feel like I can never get it perfect when I do it myself, it always ends up feeling spungy and not the same, I let the dealer do it and then bitch at them

augustus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatch EX Lunar Silver
Country flag
I can't find where it lists the brake fluid capacity in the manual, can you guide me to that?
thanks!
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Request: Brake Fluid Change 1596806006228

vtecr

First Name
FK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7 GT-Spec Daily, EP3 Type-R, EP1 Project, EU7 Beater (+ others I care less about...)
Country flag
I'm not sure if the exact quantity needed, but it'll be less than a litre (Dunno what that is in Americanese).
You don't need to worry about the order of bleeding unless you have drained them and have air in the system. Just attach a bleed bottle/hose and pump the pedal a few times while keeping the reservoir topped up. Keep the end of the hose below the surface of the fluid too, so that no air is introduced.

You may need to siphon some off at the end, depending on how much meat you have left on the brake pads. If your pads are low, the fluid level should be a little under the max too, otherwise it'll overflow at the next brake service when the pistons are wound in.
Sponsored