DIY: Replacing wiper blade inserts

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's been almost a year and I noticed that the wiper blades have started to go streaky. They have worked very well until now so instead of replacing the whole blade like I have done in the past; I decided to just replace the inserts.

When I went to replace them I looked up a few videos and they all seemed to be for different blades. They refer to removing some metal inserts that hold in the blades which the new blades don't seem to have. I decided to figure it out myself so here is what I found. It's actually much easier that it seemed to be in the past.

The first step is to remove the blade from the wiper arm so that it's easier to work on. You remove it just like you would with any universal blade. You pull up the arm, flip up the blade, press on the tab, and pull out the blade. I took a picture of the basic process, though I couldn't get the phone to focus on the right place.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Replacing wiper blade inserts IMG_20161001_022058

Once you get the blade out you pull the rubber insert back from the edge

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Replacing wiper blade inserts IMG_20161001_022200

Then you pull the rubber insert up and out. It pulls out pretty easily. Once it's removed you insert the replacement

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Replacing wiper blade inserts IMG_20161001_022322

You pull the insert all the way in

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Replacing wiper blade inserts IMG_20161001_022352

Then you keep pushing it in so it's a bit compressed

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Replacing wiper blade inserts IMG_20161001_022421

Finally you slide the rest into the edge of the blade and put it back on the arm.

I realize the pictures don't cover the entire process, but I'm sure you will find it's quite easy once you start. I don't know if it makes a difference which side of the blade you use to replace the insert or if it makes a difference which side of the insert goes in first. Maybe someone who knows better can chime in.

Parts:
Driver's side insert: 76622-TZ3-A01
http://www.collegehillshonda.com/product/76622-TZ3-A01.html
Passenger's side insert: 76632-T6L-H02
http://www.collegehillshonda.com/product/76632-T6L-H02.html

Tools: Your hands!

Last edited:

GARz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Hatchback 2017 EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What's up with this silver residue that son the new replacements? Should I remove it?

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The silver residue is the lube I believe so that they slide in easier. The 8th gen ones were easier than these. You just pulled off the end cap and slid the old one out and the new one in and put the cap back on. These are more of a PITA to put new ones in.

Hakuro

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue CTR
Country flag
Same what is with this silver stuff? Is it good or bad? I remember wiping a ton of smudge off my wipers when i first washed the car after delivery but don't remember if it was silver. Here's a photo of that first set now (left) and a new set (right)
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Replacing wiper blade inserts PXL_20210629_030533689

yhkwok

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 Galant ES 2.4, 18 Sienna XLE (FWD), 18 FK7 ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just a little contribution here. If anyone wants silicone inserts, PIAA in Japan does make them.
These are the part numbers for my hatchback:
Front long: SMFR650
Front short: SMFR350
Rear: Use the front long one and cut it to the right length, since they don't have one with the exact length.
Sponsored