DIY replacing stock rear dampers, and front outer tie rod

conbrio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback 6MT SGP sport touring
Country flag
Hello everyone,

I took my car to Kal Tire for an alignment and they said they couldn't do it because I needed new rear shocks and a new front left outer tie rod. They wanted almost $300 (CAD) for labour alone for these jobs, so I did some research and it looks fairly straightforward to do myself. I do my own oil changes, have done other jobs like brake pads and flush, adding aftermarket parts to the transmission shifter cables/base, so figured to try replacing the rear shocks and front tie rod on my own. I already ordered the parts and am going completely OEM with the new parts.

Could anyone here confirm the ease/difficulty of replacing rear shocks and front outer tie rod? Rear shocks looks like it just requires 2 bolts at top and one at the bottom (I ordered new bolts too); outer front left tie rod looks like just one bolt holding it on. Thanks all.
Sponsored

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
To remove the rear shock you will have to unbolt the lower control arm and remove the rear spring on the corresponding side. Maybe if you're on stock springs you can pull the bottom bolt out through the spring but if you can't, then you have to remove the spring. After that it's just two bolts on the top perch. Very easy indeed.

OP
OP
conbrio

conbrio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
To remove the rear shock you will have to unbolt the lower control arm and remove the rear spring on the corresponding side. Maybe if you're on stock springs you can pull the bottom bolt out through the spring but if you can't, then you have to remove the spring. After that it's just two bolts on the top perch. Very easy indeed.
Thanks for your reply. When I look up the damper remove and replace instructions, it doesn't say anything about removing the rear springs (which are all stock), it just says this:

1.Raise and support vehicle, then remove rear tire and wheel assembly.
2.Position a floor jack under lower arm B, Fig. 2.
3.Raise floor jack until suspension begins to compress.
4.Remove damper lower mounting bolt (A) and washer (B). Use a new flange nut during reassembly, Fig. 3.
5.Remove damper upper mounting bolts (A). Do not let damper/spring drop down under its own weight, Fig. 4.
6.Remove damper unit (A). Be careful not to damage body, Fig. 5.
7.Reverse procedure to install

Do I still need to remove the spring?

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I never tried removing it with the stock springs. With lowering springs the bottom bolt hits the spring before you can pull it out to allow the shock to come off. It really isn't hard either way, so you'll know when you start removing it.

pinhead66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Odyssey EX-L
Country flag
With stock springs you can remove the bottom bolt without removing the spring first. I had to remove my rear shocks before to replace the top hat and had no issues. But even if you did have to remove the spring it's very easy.

OP
OP
conbrio

conbrio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
How on earth do I remove this top bolt??? I am stuck, help!

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY replacing stock rear dampers, and front outer tie rod IMG_5223

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag
I'm not sure, but have you looked at the service manual? It is available in the maintenance section of the forum.

websitesdown

First Name
Bee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI , 2023 Civic Sport
Country flag

IMG_5223.jpeg

Impact wrench should get it. If it's under tension don't aim it at your self, your ankle for example etc..

pinhead66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Odyssey EX-L
Country flag

IMG_5223.jpeg
If I recall I used an impact to get it off and then to get it back on you have to use an allen key or allen socket to keep the rod from spinning while torquing the nut.