CivicEX18

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex Sedan, 2015 Lexus IS250 FSport
Country flag
6/11/22 - Recharged system with 1 can. There was a little left over but didn’t want to overdo it. It’s cold again! I hope it will last at least a year. I will report back once it needs a refill.

Long story short; dealer stated it wasn’t the condenser but the evaporator. Weird thing is he didn’t do a leak test. Stealership! Like many others, passenger side cool and driver side hot.

Here’s a good video on the evaporator:

Sponsored

Attachments

fuhongl

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016
Country flag
Damn! This is the thread I have been searching.
Same boat here. Blow warm air but dealer says it is not condenser so no warranty.
Went to a different dealer, charged a can and it's been 1.5 months and counting, still cold.
I think the speed of leaking depends on how big the hole is, but also maybe how much you drive?
For those who don't drive a lot, maybe it leaks slower?

Anyway, I am confident now next time I can DIY it.

thecivicguy

First Name
Bhargav
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX
Country flag

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
Filled mine with a can last month, only lasted about 10 days.

OP
OP
Shtumpa

Shtumpa

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
Filled mine with a can last month, only lasted about 10 days.
Yeah it depends how bad the leak is. If the pressure goes down in a few days then it's prob a bad leak.

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
If you have doubts about the AC getting cool enough you could get an AC thermometer.
https://www.amazon.com/InterDynamics-Conditioner-Thermometer-Fahrenheit-TH-27/dp/B002G1PBHI?th=1

I checked my AC the other day to see how cold it gets on a really hot day. Inserted the AC thermometer into the center dash vent immediately to the left of the hazard warning button. The car thermometer indicated outside temperature was 94°F. Humidity was high as it rained the night before & there was still some standing water.

Climate control on auto & set to 68°. Driving around 40-45 mph for about 2-3 miles and the AC thermometer indicated about 48°. It’s difficult to read the small thermometer, especially while driving. System was in recirculation mode & the fan was 2 squares shy of full speed

Turned the climate control all the way down to LO and lowered the fan speed to just 2 squares lit up. System still in recirculation mode. The AC thermometer eventually just touched 40°.

thecivicguy

First Name
Bhargav
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX
Country flag
Yesterday I checked the pressure was reading 40 in the meter. So I didn’t fill it up. I suspect that there is no leak but not sure why it is blowing hot air at the driver’s seat. Should I go to the dealership and get it checked ?

OP
OP
Shtumpa

Shtumpa

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
Yesterday I checked the pressure was reading 40 in the meter. So I didn’t fill it up. I suspect that there is no leak but not sure why it is blowing hot air at the driver’s seat. Should I go to the dealership and get it checked ?
This was with the compressor running (a/c on) I'm assuming - yeah I would take it to dealer. Make sure you didn't add r134 or it's gonna be a big headache.

thecivicguy

First Name
Bhargav
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX
Country flag
This was with the compressor running (a/c on) I'm assuming - yeah I would take it to dealer. Make sure you didn't add r134 or it's gonna be a big headache.
Yes Shtumpa, Checked it when the compressor running. I tired with Honeywell A/C Refrigerant R-1234yf.

Nessism

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Civic
Country flag
Great thread.
Dealer charged me $350 to recharge and add dye to the system. What a rip. On review, I could have bought a new condenser, vacuum pump and gauge setup, and some refrigerant cans for about that much money. Too late now, but if the system craps out again, and it's not the condenser, I'll be following the lead in this thread.

Hercules Rockefeller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic hatchback
Country flag
Called my local Honda dealer and gave them my VIN. It was a VIN within the range of the TSB but since my car has a rebuilt title, they said it wasn't eligible to be covered.

Not sure why that makes a difference as the car is insured, on the road and has a rebuilt title from a state saying it's road worthy. E-mailed Honda corporate and they said the same thing.

Likely my last Honda I'll buy as I see this as them not standing behind their product.

I recharged the system with one can of 1234fy and it's been about 3 weeks now. It's holding up and blowing cold air. I'll keep the car until it holds up and keep recharging until the winter when I'll get rid of it.

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
It was a VIN within the range of the TSB but since my car has a rebuilt title, they said it wasn't eligible to be covered.

Not sure why that makes a difference as the car is insured, on the road and has a rebuilt title from a state saying it's road worthy. E-mailed Honda corporate and they said the same thing.
When a vehicle is declared a total loss, the manufacturer voids all warranty. It's not just Honda, they all do it.

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
Go and watch the video again. You car has to be on. The system has to be running. I have done this twice. 1st time lasted 8+ months. Second time just did a few weeks ago, still going strong in horrible humid heat.
Sponsored