MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Honda Civic EX, 2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Does anyone know if cutting out the front vents would be bad for somebody who has a PRL intake? I remember people saying that it's not good if it takes on too much water, which I imagine could be from underneath from rainwater, so I was wondering if it would be equally as bad coming through the front vent.

I live near Sacramento, so we don't get really heavy rains often, but I was curious regardless.
Sponsored

rflkptr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 FK7 Sonic Grey, '15 Outback Limited
Country flag
Does anyone know if cutting out the front vents would be bad for somebody who has a PRL intake? I remember people saying that it's not good if it takes on too much water, which I imagine could be from underneath from rainwater, so I was wondering if it would be equally as bad coming through the front vent.

I live near Sacramento, so we don't get really heavy rains often, but I was curious regardless.
I can speak to that, anecdotally.

I have all four vents cut, with a PRL CAI. I drive the vehicle very rarely (7k miles, 2018).

I drove through the worst rainstorm of Chesapeake, Va this year in the one day I actually decided to take the car out. Torrential. Freaking awful.

Took a flashlight to the car after I pulled back into the garage. Water was dripping off the cone. Not cool.

Bought a Spectre filter sock. Gives me some peace of mind.

All that to say that I drove through a rainstorm that put a lot of water on the ground and sideways through the air. Even though it was soaked through, I was fine. Purchased filter sock afterwards. Anecdotal, like I said. Hope this helps! :)

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I can speak to that, anecdotally.

I have all four vents cut, with a PRL CAI. I drive the vehicle very rarely (7k miles, 2018).

I drove through the worst rainstorm of Chesapeake, Va this year in the one day I actually decided to take the car out. Torrential. Freaking awful.

Took a flashlight to the car after I pulled back into the garage. Water was dripping off the cone. Not cool.

Bought a Spectre filter sock. Gives me some peace of mind.

All that to say that I drove through a rainstorm that put a lot of water on the ground and sideways through the air. Even though it was soaked through, I was fine. Purchased filter sock afterwards. Anecdotal, like I said. Hope this helps! :)
It certainly does, thanks! I'm curious to see what the filter sock looks like, and whether it has to be put on prior to installation?

Also, when people mention the water thing, I wasn't sure if it's only a problem when the intake is in major use (like WOT), or if it's at any point and time... such as when my car is parked and I'm washing it.

rflkptr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 FK7 Sonic Grey, '15 Outback Limited
Country flag
It certainly does, thanks! I'm curious to see what the filter sock looks like, and whether it has to be put on prior to installation?

Also, when people mention the water thing, I wasn't sure if it's only a problem when the intake is in major use (like WOT), or if it's at any point and time... such as when my car is parked and I'm washing it.
1 - It is a black mesh filter cover with an elastic collar. Seven bucks, I think, on Amazon.

2 - I slipped it right over the cone after removing the vent cover. Easy, just takes a sec

3 - water won't travel all the way up your intake while you're washing it. Wouldn't worry about that. WOT is not something I did during that storm, so I have nothing for ya there, apologies

fc1_lani23

First Name
Lani
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FC1 CD5
Country flag
I don't want to be offensive but I think they're worth $150 each with lights. Considering parts and tools and labor. I'm probably too proud of my work. I had about 6 hours milling and shaping the bezels and had to buy a finger sander and parts for the project and use my father's mill and and bandsaw, dremel ect. Used the eBay 3d mesh and a few hours cutting and sanding and glueing that up. The iJDM sequential LEDs are awesome! Get these even if you don't do the vent cutout. I'll supply wago electrical connections so you can snap the wires right together. I heat shrinked and insulated ferreled the wires. The nightmare of the project is cutting the fake vent. Even with a perfect fixture in a full size vertical mill it is so hard to cut. I would also also ask for your OEM so can sell the car of course. I'll also include the black laser cut plastic piece that conceals the front passenger vent hole. I have the template saved if anyone is interested in that piece cut to fit si perfect. I can make them for $10.
Any chance you still have them for sale? I know im a bit late to this lol.

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 si sedan, FZ1, CR450R, Shadow 750
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I like the metal mesh. You scored junkyard bumpers for the project? Why did you tape off that rear vent if you sanded it and need to paint it? I think ours look better when finished vs 20s. The front are okay but even if you open the new rears the bezel looks too large.

EtRtcarguy

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic
Country flag
I like the metal mesh. You scored junkyard bumpers for the project? Why did you tape off that rear vent if you sanded it and need to paint it? I think ours look better when finished vs 20s. The front are okay but even if you open the new rears the bezel looks too large.
I taped it to keep from scratching it or have an accident with cutting wheel. Junk yard was nice enough 4 me to test fit garnishes. Im gonna practice painting it anyways half gloss and half flat black and see what happens. These were just playing around pcs to have to have fun wirh. Cut hole out for intake and give it a mad max look or something.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY rear bumper fake vent conversion 20200517_163444

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY rear bumper fake vent conversion 20200517_173444

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brian17Si

Brian17Si

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I taped it to keep from scratching it or have an accident with cutting wheel. Junk yard was nice enough 4 me to test fit garnishes. Im gonna practice painting it anyways half gloss and half flat black and see what happens. These were just playing around pcs to have to have fun wirh. Cut hole out for intake and give it a mad max look or something.

20200517_163444.jpg

20200517_173444.jpg
Awesome work. When u get a final pick send it here and I’ll add it to the front page.

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Do you think it would be worth just buying new garnishes on the side and playing with/cutting those out, then just replacing them with my stock ones when I'm good and ready? That way the project can be on the side, and if I screw up any then I can learn on it and use the stock ones if need be. Not to mention if I don't like the look, I can always go back if needed.

It would probably cost about $150 for all four garnishes, though.

Last edited:

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Do you think it would be worth just buying new garnishes on the side and playing with/cutting those out, then just replacing them with my stock ones when I'm good and ready? That way the project can be on the side, and if I screw up any then I can learn on it and use the stock ones if need be. Not to mention if I don't like the look, I can always go back if needed.

It would probably cost about $150 for all four garnishes, though.
If you take the garnishes off and cut the bumper right away it doesn't look too bad naked with the big hole. That is the easy part and if you use a brand new razor blade the bumper cuts like butter. I rode round with just holes on the rear for the week.

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Looks great, EkSean!

If you wouldn't mind mentioning your process at all (or tools used), that would be great! I always love hearing how everyone else went about it so I can look toward my most appropriate method. Also curious how long it took in general.

Also, wondering what you painted black on the inside there? I know that my 2019 has a bumper portion (that as someone else just mentioned, you can cut into a little bit). Is yours the same, but instead of cutting it, you painted it? Or did you paint everything on the inside? Not sure what kind of paint would/should be used and whether it stays on after a car wash or something either.

Thanks!

EDIT: Oh, I see that the inside probably has some white as part of the body still, gotcha.
Sponsored

Last edited: