DIY rear bumper fake vent conversion

TheBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CTR Boost Blue, '21 Mazda 3
Country flag
I hear ya. I not a fan of "complex" shapes on vehicles and all the resulting, impossible-to-get-to nooks and crannies. So far, I've probably washed my Si a dozen times in the last 2-1/2 months and haven't found the fake vents to be a problem. The biggest issue was the water they retain after drying, but the secret there is just pressing a folded towel against them for a few seconds to wick the water out of the hexagons.
I cheat...I use a leaf-blower to dry my cars & bikes...for that 'spot-free' shine :) You still can't get ALL of the water, but a lot more than a towel gets (the neighbors just stare at me...).
Sponsored

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
I cheat...I use a leaf-blower to dry my cars & bikes...for that 'spot-free' shine :) You still can't get ALL of the water, but a lot more than a towel gets (the neighbors just stare at me...).
I do the same thing when I'm in a hurry (which is rare). :) I got the suggestion from watching one of Junkman2000's detailing videos on YouTube a while back.

Apostolis

Greek
First Name
Apostolis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Project Complete :thumbsup:
I love the result. Here is another thought for discussion. Would it accelerate the rust progress of the metals in the inside of the bumper in areas with heavy precipitation ? I live in Canada, Alberta and we get a lot of snow during the winter season.

NeoDragons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EXT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

OP
OP
Brian17Si

Brian17Si

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I love the result. Here is another thought for discussion. Would it accelerate the rust progress of the metals in the inside of the bumper in areas with heavy precipitation ? I live in Canada, Alberta and we get a lot of snow during the winter season.
Thank you and everyone for the great feedback. No, it will not accelerate rust because they're already exposed through undercarriage and treated. The concern is vents are directly behind rear tires. Pontential rocks, ice chunks, debris could kick up into vents. My autobody guy made great point to get mud flaps/splash guards to prevent this. After I said "so these vents are active" he laughed and said "Yes, they are." Design required a focus on reinforcement and preventing high resistance contact. I'm proud to say it miraculously feels like OEM quality. It's best for summer and weekend warriors but with flaps I'm not worried. I live in US with heavy snowfall but only drive when plowed. Chemicals plows drop eat away cars like acid so it's priority to get under car wash with Rustoleum Rust Preventor frequently.

Your a life saver. i am currently opening up the driver side fog lamp area for a CAI vent. i was looking for a mesh grille and this looks perfect.
Welcome, yes very strong and high quality. I recall it being 1/4 inch thick ABS plastic with a firm flex.

So just curious, if someone were to punch this with a fist, would it easily break?
Each OEM vent frame still contains factory 2 bolts and 7 strong molded clips that securely locks abs mesh into place. I also reinforced everything with epoxy glue. It won't easily break and mesh would trash hand. But sure if something was to hit it hard it could break or get damaged.

Last edited by a moderator:

jpuhl777

First Name
Jp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe (WOP)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
if anything that is one ULTRA CLEAN civic, wow!

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I might do something like this for my front vent, after installing PRL's cold air intake.
Sponsored