DIY OIL Change Reference Civic Type R

akadic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(sold) CTR 1722
Country flag
I did, drove it around the block with the 5 quarts in, let it settle for 2+ hours, still reading high.
Sponsored

alvav

First Name
Leonidas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2019 Acura NSX
Uh, not sure about the defective dipstick comment. Running a car with too much oil can be as damaging (or more) than running it with low oil. If you ran the car (hopefully not hard) and it's still reading high, I would definitely take some out. Trust the dipstick. Did you change oil and filter or just oil?

akadic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(sold) CTR 1722
Country flag
The orange part on the dipstick is really poorly designed, makes it hard to read. Didn't run hard, just drove around the block. I did let some out, now I am between the two holes. Still doesn't makes sense as I poured less than capacity.

EnjoyDriving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
The orange part on the dipstick is really poorly designed, makes it hard to read. Didn't run hard, just drove around the block. I did let some out, now I am between the two holes. Still doesn't makes sense as I poured less than capacity.
Could it be the oil dilution problem??

amurciano

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R FK8
Country flag
Anyone have the oem filter part #, thanks. Thanks all for the tips and shared experiences. I’ve confirmed oem filter to have leaked some but dried up @ 4K miles. What in the world was going on at Honda.
Part # 15400-PLM-A02
Careful buying these off Amazon, some people say they are knock offs. Stick to genuine honda online store (which charge a lot of shipping unless you buy 6 or 30 packs) or see if your local dealership sells you them. I would recommend a fumoto valve and then you never have to worry about drain plug washer.

blitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Part # 15400-PLM-A02
Careful buying these off Amazon, some people say they are knock offs. Stick to genuine honda online store (which charge a lot of shipping unless you buy 6 or 30 packs) or see if your local dealership sells you them. I would recommend a fumoto valve and then you never have to worry about drain plug washer.
I agree with your comment about awareness on purchasing knock-off Honda filters online. Luckily, I have not experienced this. When I’m unable to buy the part at my local Honda dealership, I’ll purchase from Hondapartsnow.com . Everything I have ordered from this site has been prompt, packed in the original factory packaging, and been exactly what I ordered.

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 2006 Mazda 6
Country flag
Nice write up. I change my oil every 3k miles with Mobil 1 fully synthetic oil. I also have a Fumoto oil drain valve installed so I don’t have to retorque the oil drain bolt every time and risk damaging the aluminum threads on the oil pan. I try to avoid mechanics by all means because most of them are just doing it for the money and can care less about the customers car.
Do you still need to use a crush washer when installing the fumoto valve? I noticed it comes with some soft blue type washer.

blitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Do you still need to use a crush washer when installing the fumoto valve? I noticed it comes with some soft blue type washer.
Use a new crush washer (M14 OEM) for the Fumoto valve, and torque to 18 ft-lbs.

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 2006 Mazda 6
Country flag
Along with the soft washer they supply? From the transmission side would it be, Crush Washer, Fumoto washer, Fumoto Valve?

blitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Along with the soft washer they supply? From the transmission side would it be, Crush Washer, Fumoto washer, Fumoto Valve?
Yes, use the supplied crush washer, if it is provided from the valve manufacturer. My Fumoto valve did not have a supplied washer, so I used a new one (OEM) used for the OEM drain bolt.

Do not use two crush washers.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My experience with the Superstik is it does read the level really well, but doesn’t snap in place like the OEM.

It also stands taller and looks a little funny. I went to OEM, however I use the Superstik to verify proper level when I change the oil.

Some in depth photos and write up here if interested:

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/fatherpain’s-2018-type-r.42379/post-748571

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/fatherpain’s-2018-type-r.42379/post-757148

I'm thinking about purchasing a SuperStik dipstick where reading the oil level is MUCH easier.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Unless the fumito valve is different than OEM - I believe torque spec for the drainbolt is 30ft lbs. I know this because I accidentally did 20ft lbs on my last oilchange and have a nice oil sheen under my car and some slop stains on my garage to remind me -

30 ft lbs you moron - is what I tell myself going forward.

blitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Unless the fumito valve is different than OEM - I believe torque spec for the drainbolt is 30ft lbs. I know this because I accidentally did 20ft lbs on my last oilchange and have a nice oil sheen under my car and some slop stains on my garage to remind me -

30 ft lbs you moron - is what I tell myself going forward.
I was following Fumoto’s support FAQ, and the team states 18 ft-lbs. for the 106 Series valves for the Civic.

Reference post (How much should I torque my Fumoto valve?) -https://help.fumotooildrainvalve.co...393-How-much-should-I-torque-my-Fumoto-valve-

I think the valve material might be less dense than the iron bolt, so it does not need to be as tight to create a good seal. The site says that over-torquing “will add pressure to the adapter.”

As a precaution, the operator can perform a visual inspection after a week and tighten the valve more if oil is seen leaking.
Sponsored

Last edited: