First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a Sport Hatch 2018. I couldn't find a muffler shop in my town willing to delete my mufflers for a reasonable price. All of them wanted over $250, so I said screw it, I'll cut my own mufflers off. How hard can it be? The answer, so far, is not hard at all!

To make cutting easier one should drop the mufflers in the back. It's not required, but it helps. A rotary cutter or a hacksaw both work well. Piping is 2" OD where I cut, which was right behind the first bend. See pics. So, 2" ID piping from Autozone/OReillys/AdvanceAuto all work really well. You just need 2 45° elbows and an 18" extension. I found a 2" y splitter on amazon to accommodate 2 tips. I got my tips last year from autozone for $20 each b/c they look nicer than the stock sport tips. I re-used them on this project. 2" exhaust clamps are needed at each joint, and I purchased an exhaust hanger from o'reilly's as well.

Sound is very nice. But drone was noticeable on cold starts and around 2k to 2.5k on the highway. I experimented with a cheap Thrush turbo muffler to get rid of drone, which it did, but it made it too quiet again. I was going to try a glasspack muffler, but I stumbled onto something even better. My solution was to simply add a handful of coarse Steel wool inside my new piping before the y split. Sound is absolutely perfect now. Aggressive with no drone. I'll attach some clips below.

Sound clips:

Some pics.
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Muffler delete for under $100 IMG_3820.JPG
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Muffler delete for under $100 IMG_3818.JPG
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Muffler delete for under $100 IMG_3817.JPG
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Muffler delete for under $100 IMG_3812.JPG
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Muffler delete for under $100 IMG_3813.JPG

I almost bought this, but it's basically the same as what I did but 5x the price.
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Muffler delete for under $100 exhausttakeda

Comments are welcome. I'll accept anything from "dude you're awesome" to "dude, you're an idiot!" :)

Last edited:

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
Are those resonated tips? I've thought about doing this since my wifes EX still sounds "meh", but I don't want to "Frankenstein" a bunch of pipes together since it's not as straight forward on hers.

OP
OP
jtrader

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Are those resonated tips? I've thought about doing this since my wifes EX still sounds "meh", but I don't want to "Frankenstein" a bunch of pipes together since it's not as straight forward on hers.
Resonated tips, yes. One would think the tips would make it quieter, but it does the opposite and actually makes the sound deeper and more drone-y.

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
Are the clamps stainless steel? Hopefully they’ll not rust otherwise I would paint it something to prevent it from rusting.

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a Sport Hatch 2018. I couldn't find a muffler shop in my town willing to delete my mufflers for a reasonable price. All of them wanted over $250, so I said screw it, I'll cut my own mufflers off. How hard can it be? The answer, so far, is not hard at all!

To make cutting easier one should drop the mufflers in the back. It's not required, but it helps. A rotary cutter or a hacksaw both work well. Piping is 2" OD where I cut, which was right behind the first bend. See pics. So, 2" ID piping from Autozone/OReillys/AdvanceAuto all work really well. You just need 2 45° elbows and an 18" extension. I found a 2" y splitter on amazon to accommodate 2 tips. I got my tips last year from autozone for $20 each b/c they look nicer than the stock sport tips. I re-used them on this project. 2" exhaust clamps are needed at each joint, and I purchased an exhaust hanger from o'reilly's as well.

Sound is very nice. But drone was noticeable on cold starts and around 2k to 2.5k on the highway. I experimented with a cheap Thrush turbo muffler to get rid of drone, which it did, but it made it too quiet again. I was going to try a glasspack muffler, but I stumbled onto something even better. My solution was to simply add a handful of coarse Steel wool inside my new piping before the y split. Sound is absolutely perfect now. Aggressive with no drone. I'll attach some clips below.

Sound clips:

Some pics.
IMG_3820.JPG
IMG_3818.JPG
IMG_3817.JPG
IMG_3812.JPG
IMG_3813.JPG

I almost bought this, but it's basically the same as what I did but 5x the price.
exhausttakeda.png

Comments are welcome. I'll accept anything from "dude you're awesome" to "dude, you're an idiot!" :)

This looks like an excellent setup for flow. Decent size and very little to no bends. And the exhaust diameter doesn't reduce down on the slight bends. Nice work! Thanks for sharing.

BTW: Glad you didn't purchase the 5X price exhaust with all the extra, steep, unnecessary turns in it. That sucks for power.

OP
OP
jtrader

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This looks like an excellent setup for flow. Decent size and very little to no bends. And the exhaust diameter doesn't reduce down on the slight bends. Nice work! Thanks for sharing.

BTW: Glad you didn't purchase the 5X price exhaust with all the extra, steep, unnecessary turns in it. That sucks for power.
Thanks!

I should probably say I went into this project never intending to increase power. I won't fool myself into thinking my car is fast now. It's not winning any drag races. Shoot, my car will never see a track. [Ain't nobody got time fo' dat.] This was 100% about getting better sound for everyday driving, and it worked! ?

OP
OP
jtrader

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Are the clamps stainless steel? Hopefully they’ll not rust otherwise I would paint it something to prevent it from rusting.
I'm sure they're going to rust in Ohio winters. I'm not sure there is a good way to prevent it. I'm fully expecting to replace them every spring. If I'm lucky, I'll get 2 years out of them but I doubt it. Fortunately replacing them is going to be super easy.

OP
OP
jtrader

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well, the drone was a bit too much. I ended up buying a glasspack from Jegs and clamping it in place of the straight pipe before the y-splitter. A small amount of steel wool in the glasspack is 100% perfect. Wife didn't even notice I deleted the stock muffler when she drove it to work, but man it sounds awesome above 3500 rpm when you get on it.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Muffler delete for under $100 IMG_3982.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Muffler delete for under $100 IMG_3813.JPG