DIY: LX map light turn on with dome light

MT_FK7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WOP Hatch
Country flag
So this was done on an lx hatchback, I believe most of the other models the map light turns on with the dome light anyway - but I wanted to put this up to share if anyone wants to make this simple mod. You basically are tapping into the controlled ground from the dome light and adding it to the unused pin of the map light module.
Start by removing the map light module and the dome light.

Fish a wire from the dome light to the map light hole above the headliner.

The controlled ground on the dome light (connected to ground when door is open) is the green/teal colored wire.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: LX map light turn on with dome light IMG_1929.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: LX map light turn on with dome light IMG_1928.JPG

You can splice this wire but I preferred to use a spade connector and tap into where the bulb mounts. The advantage by using the spade connector is the off switch function is preserved so if you don't want the map lights on with the door open switching the dome light to off will kill all the lights. BE CAREFUL WITH THE SPADE CONNECTOR THE BULB HOUSING BREAKS EASILLY!!!

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: LX map light turn on with dome light IMG_1925.JPG

On the map light side now strip a bit of wire back from the extra wire you ran from the dome housing. Shove this wire down into the empty pin of the map light connector.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: LX map light turn on with dome light IMG_1924.JPG
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: LX map light turn on with dome light IMG_1923.JPG

Secure with some zip ties and - check the function before putting it all back together and you should be good to go!

Siblue

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Civic 18 Type R
Country flag
Great pics and write up. This was my first mod and added footwell LEDs too.

qukquk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2017 EX 6MT
Country flag
I just did as your post but got the problem that the map light didn't go off once turn on ignition but the dome light does..., Did I miss some part? Thanks

So this was done on an lx hatchback, I believe most of the other models the map light turns on with the dome light anyway - but I wanted to put this up to share if anyone wants to make this simple mod. You basically are tapping into the controlled ground from the dome light and adding it to the unused pin of the map light module.
Start by removing the map light module and the dome light.

Fish a wire from the dome light to the map light hole above the headliner.

The controlled ground on the dome light (connected to ground when door is open) is the green/teal colored wire.

IMG_1929.JPG

IMG_1928.JPG

You can splice this wire but I preferred to use a spade connector and tap into where the bulb mounts. The advantage by using the spade connector is the off switch function is preserved so if you don't want the map lights on with the door open switching the dome light to off will kill all the lights. BE CAREFUL WITH THE SPADE CONNECTOR THE BULB HOUSING BREAKS EASILLY!!!

IMG_1925.JPG

On the map light side now strip a bit of wire back from the extra wire you ran from the dome housing. Shove this wire down into the empty pin of the map light connector.

IMG_1924.JPG
IMG_1923.JPG

Secure with some zip ties and - check the function before putting it all back together and you should be good to go!

OP
OP
MT_FK7

MT_FK7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WOP Hatch
Country flag
sounds like the wire you added is touching ground somewhere before the controlled ground connection point of the dome light. That's the only way it would stay on continuously.

maaaaackle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Hatch 6MT
Country flag
How do you remove the dome light?

Just get a flathead and pry it loose?

qukquk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2017 EX 6MT
Country flag
sounds like the wire you added is touching ground somewhere before the controlled ground connection point of the dome light. That's the only way it would stay on continuously.
there are 2 cable on dome light, one is purple, other one is red which should i attach? i tried these 2, either trigger the dim function on map light once turn on ignition.

attached some photos during the installation.
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: LX map light turn on with dome light 20171122_222638

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: LX map light turn on with dome light 20171122_222721

the cable can't go through upper hole
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: LX map light turn on with dome light 20171122_222738

the map light...very basic..
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: LX map light turn on with dome light 20171122_222938

insert other cable
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: LX map light turn on with dome light 20171122_223011

from my previous golf
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: LX map light turn on with dome light 20171122_223208

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: LX map light turn on with dome light 20171122_225159

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: LX map light turn on with dome light 20171122_225717

Kwalsh24

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
So been attempting this myself, how did you guys get the wire fished above the headliner? In my car it seems as though it's glued to the roof in areas?

Edit... Managed to get it... Yay! Much better!

Last edited:

dt10g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX sedan 6MT (Canadian)
Country flag
Hmm, any ideas on this one, or any resolution for qukquk ?

Since making the modification to my 2016 Sedan (2.0L / Canadian LX) I have the same problem as qukquk above...

My maplights turn ON when the car is unlocked, but will not go OFF until the car is locked. (Unless you push the map lights buttons manually)

It does not matter if you take the car out of Park and put it in gear (6 sp. Manual) or if you turn the headlights on, or if you start forward motion. Map lights remain on.

Moving the dome light position makes no difference to the map lights ... dome: ON/AUTO/OFF, the map lights always come on.

If you turn the map lights off via their buttons, they stay off. Subsequent Lock/Unlock the car will not turn them on again. It's like home automation, when someone turns the physical wall switch off and your Hue lights don't work any more lol.

I have it wired up almost exactly like MT_FK7

- terminal pin in the (unused) third hole of the map lights white connector

- spade connector on the exact same terminal of the dome light (my spade has a built-in red heat shrink, whereas his looked bare)

- new cable, spades, pins, shrink tube, good crimp

Interesting...
Sitting here in the locked car (off), I just put the key in the ignition - didn't even turn it to Accessory or anything - and the map lights instantly came on.

Taking the keys out of the ignition, the dome light (Auto) just came on. After 30 seconds the dome goes Off, but the map remains on. The only way I can turn the Map lights off at this point are to press their buttons manually, or to Unlock/Re-Lock the car with the remote.

RE: Headliner

It was a royal b##tch... I worked away at it for at least 30 minutes with a coat hanger to no avail. What I found worked was this... get small bright flashlight (hooray Nitecore) and put it up in the map light area, shooting straight back towards the dome. Put your smartphone camera on selfie mode and shove the camera up into the headliner so you can see what is going on back towards the dome. Now even if your wire is 18 gauge (flimsy) you should be able to convince it to go from the dome light area forward... once you can see even a hint of it in the camera, keep working it until you can get your hand up there and pull it forward. It probably helps if you use a brighter color cable, and not black.

dt10g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This is from the DIY Honda Fit YouTube video comments... these seems at odds with what others here are expecting, but seems to be exactly what i am dealing with ?

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: LX map light turn on with dome light IMG_8369

also
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: LX map light turn on with dome light IMG_8370

dt10g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just thinking aloud...

I wonder if the cable I installed was actually doing anything. Once I removed the cable and went back to the OEM operating mode, it seemed basically the same. Like in the past I could drive around with my map lights on like some kind of hooligan if I wanted to (lol), so really what was the difference with this cable.

Unfortunately I don't have a multi-meter/continuity tester.

Photos of Installed cable before I disconnected it.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: LX map light turn on with dome light IMG_8372.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: LX map light turn on with dome light IMG_8371.JPG