DIY Limited Slip Differential Install in Non-Si (Quick Write Up and Some Photos)

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic hb sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Introduction
I own a 2017 civic hatchback sport 6 MT. I am not a mechanic, but I love to tinker. I have acquired myself a Mfactory LSD almost two years ago and I have only decided NOW to install it! I remember how fun my 9thgen Si was in turns and I want to replicate that feeling. I am not the first to do this!
Why did I go with the aftermarket LSD? Cheaper route in my opinion. Some have done an Si transmission swap, which would have been easier but a bit too pricey for me with too many parts to replace.
I soloed this whole install process. Be prepared to do some heavy lifting.

Install Time: Total time (involving removal of trans, waiting for parts, and reinstalling everything back) was about almost three weeks. I had to buy two new differential bearings because I read that reusing the old bearings is a bad idea due to damaging them upon removal.
If I knew about the bearings and had them ready, the process would have taken me about three days.

Install Difficulty (1 easy - 5 hard): 4.7 (Due to removing of the gears inside the trans! That was scary!)

Tools: (from what I can remember, ALOT of TOOLS, and special tools!)
Pry Bar
Impact Gun 3/8 - to speed up things than hand wrenching (careful with the bolts 12mm and smaller, can snap)
Impact Gun 1/2 -for power removal (always careful! Can snap bolts easily)
Transmission Floor Jack - biggest help in my tools
Manual Hydraulic Press - helped me with bearing removal
A set of wrenches
3/8 Ratchet Wrench
1/2 Ratchet Wrench
A set of 1/2 Deep Sockets
A set of 3/8 Deep Sockets
3/8 Extensions
1/2 Extensions
flat head screwdriver
Rubber Mallet
Expanding Plier
WD40
A Handheld Light
Painter's Tape
Marker
A big Allen key (I forget the size)
Plastic Pryer

Important Items : two new bearings, Hondabond Liquid Gasket, Blue Loctite

Free Service Manual - This helped me especially when returning the gears together.
https://www.civicx.com/forum/thread...-si-type-r-fc1-fc2-fc3-fc4-fk4-fk7-fk8.46297/

Read This!
https://guides.hybrid-racing.com/Guide/LSD+Install+on+K-Series+Transmission/91

Watched from 3:21 to 3:36 on how to deal with the clip when removing the case.

Watched from 44:00 to 45:20 on how to reinstall the clip when closing the case.

Step 1: Going Straight forward with transmission on the workbench or wherever you want to work on it.
Remove all the bolts! Always remember what bolts where it belongs to.
Important! Do not forget which the detent balls and springs go to. (One of my springs was shorter, and I just winged its placement. Pray for me.)

Step 2: Remove the gear selector.
I just used a rubber mallet on a safe part of it and it came off.

Step 3: The tricky trans case removal!
I followed the video's tips. So on the tip of the transmission (its like a triangular shape when bottom part is where it connects to the engine), there is a big round piece bolt to remove using an allen key. Once removed, you will see a clip. Expand the clip and keep it there. With my other hand, I malleted the top and around the trans to supposedly separate whatever the clip is attached to. I also used the prybar to separate the case. Becare not to damage the part when the case connects. Once lifted, slowly pry around the case. Keep going until its easy to remove.

Step 4: Before the storm.
Take pictures!! This will save you from troubles especially when returning the gears back together later on.
Remove the 2 plastic pieces.
On the opposite side of the differential, there is a small gear that's by itself. Carefully remove that gear with that along with the bar and the thing that's bolted by two bolts.
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Limited Slip Differential Install in Non-Si (Quick Write Up and Some Photos) 20210731_213629

I also remove this part. This is like the gear selector or something. I also removed this part.
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Limited Slip Differential Install in Non-Si (Quick Write Up and Some Photos) 20210731_214459

Step 5: The Gear Boss.
Now the tricky part. I used a painter's tape and taped around the gear forks so it wont come off. You can see in the photo how I did it. Once taped, just lift and the whole gears come off together.
Lay somewhere safe.
(In the photo I included the gear selector. When returning, I ended up separating the gear selector.)
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Limited Slip Differential Install in Non-Si (Quick Write Up and Some Photos) 20210731_220821

Step 6: LSD time!
The LSD will just sit there alone. Just lift it up and it comes off easily!
I used a bearing holding and pressed off the bearings.
Important to use a new set of bearings. Make sure you oil up the bearings on the part where the differential will slide into.
Once new bearings are put on. Make sure u oil up the circumference of the bearing where it makes contact with the transmission case.

Side Note: There is some rectangular magnet that you can clean off. Mine had a lot of metal shaving in it. Probably from grinding gears during shifting.
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Limited Slip Differential Install in Non-Si (Quick Write Up and Some Photos) 20210731_222138

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Limited Slip Differential Install in Non-Si (Quick Write Up and Some Photos) 20210731_230409

Step 7: Return of the Gear Boss and the little parts
Return the taped-up gears.
Return the little gear.
Return the gear selector part
(This gear selector was tricky. I honestly cannot help you how to know if it's returned properly. I may have been lucky.)
Now the two plastics. One plastic works together with the little gear. The other plastic goes inside the trans case. Use the manual for this.

Step 8: Returning the Trans Case
Before returning the case, make sure you clean and remove the old rubber gasket.
Once cleaned, apply a thin layer evenly of hondabond.
DO NOT make it thick or else you can have a rubber gasket inside the trans which can be a problem.
Once hondabond is applied, return the trans case carefully.
Apply bolts by hand, then gradually tighten the bolts in a star-like formation. It took me about a well more than 10 rounds of start formation when tightening the bolt just to ensure I tightened them all properly and evenly.
Clear the surface for the gear selector part and apply a thin even layer of honda bond. When returning, make sure you guide the fork selector inside.
Sorry, I don't have a pic of this.
Tighten evenly in a star-formation manner.
On top of the trans, use the video reference on how to lock the pin of the strut.
I made sure I expanded the lock ring.
Then I put a thickly folded towel on the floor and dropped the top part of the trans on it. I heard a "click" sound and that indicated that the ring locked onto the top of the gear shaft.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Limited Slip Differential Install in Non-Si (Quick Write Up and Some Photos) 20210815_185909

Step 9: Return all the bolts.
Slowly return the bolts back where they came from.
That's all.
Thank you and enjoy!
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Limited Slip Differential Install in Non-Si (Quick Write Up and Some Photos) 20210816_155012

Additional pics for references.
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Limited Slip Differential Install in Non-Si (Quick Write Up and Some Photos) 20210731_213613

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Limited Slip Differential Install in Non-Si (Quick Write Up and Some Photos) 20210731_213626

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Limited Slip Differential Install in Non-Si (Quick Write Up and Some Photos) 20210731_213633

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Limited Slip Differential Install in Non-Si (Quick Write Up and Some Photos) 20210731_214451

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Limited Slip Differential Install in Non-Si (Quick Write Up and Some Photos) 20210731_165841

February 24, 2022 Update:
LSD still going great! Loving every turn Im making.

I want to add that I changed the trans fluid again after a few weeks of driving after the lsd installation.

I used the AC Delco syncromesh transfluid and I have to admit, my trans shifted so much smoothly than the amsoil trand fluid. Even today its still shifting smoothly. I recommend this for everyone.

Last edited:

cephalopod

First Name
Yousef
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback CVT EX 2018
Country flag
Dang dude, was there a noticeable difference? Why didn't you just get an si at that point?

WF19

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan Aegean Blue Metallic; 2003 Pontiac Vibe (just sold)
Country flag
Dang dude, was there a noticeable difference? Why didn't you just get an si at that point?
That would have been my suggestion as well. I mean, I've made a few suspension and shifter mods to my Si as well as added a Ktuner, but I'm not trying to make it into a CTR.

OP
OP
MetalKnightCivicHB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic hb sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I love the hatch too much as well. Everything can be changed in the car but the body, is what I thought. The LSD is a big difference! The driving is awesome!

That would have been my suggestion as well. I mean, I've made a few suspension and shifter mods to my Si as well as added a Ktuner, but I'm not trying to make it into a CTR.
Im making it the way I want the car to be but yes, to be frank, the CTR is an influence to my looks. The wing is love and hate lol i love the oem look to it and the downforce benefits but I get mistaken alot as a CTR. But when I get called out, I got the power to respond back.

OP
OP
MetalKnightCivicHB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic hb sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Good luck to whoever is going to DIY mod.

JasNeo

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si Coupe
Country flag
Honestly though, I don't know if I could go for the si myself, love the hatch too much
I thought the same thing. I had a 2017 Hatchback Sport and I loved it. I was planning to pour so much money into it to get it how I wanted it but like you said, "Why not just get an Si at that point?". Which I did and I haven't regretted it at all

OP
OP
MetalKnightCivicHB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic hb sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I thought the same thing. I had a 2017 Hatchback Sport and I loved it. I was planning to pour so much money into it to get it how I wanted it but like you said, "Why not just get an Si at that point?". Which I did and I haven't regretted it at all
Thats an easy route if you don't mind not owning a hatchback.
I always say, you can modify the engine in the car but the not the body.
You cant turn a sedan into a hatch or vice versa, but you can put any engine in a car or modify the engine.

JasNeo

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si Coupe
Country flag
Thats an easy route if you don't mind not owning a hatchback.
I always say, you can modify the engine in the car but the not the body.
You cant turn a sedan into a hatch or vice versa, but you can put any engine in a car or modify the engine.
You're very right, and I agree. I love my coupe but I do wish whole heartedly they had made the Hatchback an Si cause I miss having one. Other than that I am happy with my upgrade

OP
OP
MetalKnightCivicHB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic hb sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Update Bump

Jjakef96

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
So I have moved forward with a RV6 retrofit and figured it was a good time to install a differential. After digging through the service manual I found the checks that it says to do after installation and attached an image here.

The only thing I am concerned about is that there are 17 different 90mm shims and I'm not sure which one I will need until I go to install. I plan on getting started this weekend but could use advice on how to handle this situation.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Limited Slip Differential Install in Non-Si (Quick Write Up and Some Photos) Screenshot_20220406-184644

OP
OP
MetalKnightCivicHB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic hb sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So I have moved forward with a RV6 retrofit and figured it was a good time to install a differential. After digging through the service manual I found the checks that it says to do after installation and attached an image here.

The only thing I am concerned about is that there are 17 different 90mm shims and I'm not sure which one I will need until I go to install. I plan on getting started this weekend but could use advice on how to handle this situation.

Screenshot_20220406-184644.png
hmmm i never did any of that lol
I think thats replacing some type of garket or O ring so that trans fluid wont leak out.
I havent had any issues with mine since install.

Jjakef96

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
hmmm i never did any of that lol
I think thats replacing some type of garket or O ring so that trans fluid wont leak out.
I havent had any issues with mine since install.
I'm sure you got lucky or the spec they call out is tighter than it needs to be. I'm sure the varience between differentials is not very much. And this is a step to take before putting back all of the gearing back in. Just bolt the casing together with the differential installed to check the gap. No sealant is needed since the case has to come apart again once the gearing goes back in.

This isn't so much for the differential but for the ring gear and final drive engagement. Too loose and gears may not always be properly engaged putting more stress on the teeth. Too tight doesn't really seem to be as much of a concern since 0mm is acceptable. I guess as long as the case is closed properly it's good to go.

OP
OP
MetalKnightCivicHB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic hb sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm sure you got lucky or the spec they call out is tighter than it needs to be. I'm sure the varience between differentials is not very much. And this is a step to take before putting back all of the gearing back in. Just bolt the casing together with the differential installed to check the gap. No sealant is needed since the case has to come apart again once the gearing goes back in.

This isn't so much for the differential but for the ring gear and final drive engagement. Too loose and gears may not always be properly engaged putting more stress on the teeth. Too tight doesn't really seem to be as much of a concern since 0mm is acceptable. I guess as long as the case is closed properly it's good to go.
Damn. I guess I really got lucky.
Yeah I just made sure the casing closed properly.
Sponsored