DIY: Interior / Trunk Light bulb change/upgrade

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
The parts catalog suggests that the OEM cabin bulbs are 8W and the trunk is 5W, FWIW. (Note that the figure for the 5W bulb is wrong. But it's in the figure for the 8W bulb as well.)

Last edited:

cktx8388

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
So I made this modification yesterday using they same LED lights as recommended. Love the way it looks coming from the front map lights. But I'm not entirely happy with the light output coming from the dome light, just doesn't seem as bright as it could be. I think the problem is the orientation of the bulb, the map lights all point downward while the dome light points sideways. Does anybody know of a similar sized bulb that would focus the light in a singular direction? Not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things but I'm always looking for ideas to improve things.

OP
OP

2slo4u

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic, FRS
Vehicle Showcase
So I made this modification yesterday using they same LED lights as recommended. Love the way it looks coming from the front map lights. But I'm not entirely happy with the light output coming from the dome light, just doesn't seem as bright as it could be. I think the problem is the orientation of the bulb, the map lights all point downward while the dome light points sideways. Does anybody know of a similar sized bulb that would focus the light in a singular direction? Not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things but I'm always looking for ideas to improve things.
do your bulbs have chips surrounding it or just in front? mind have chips all around so light is coming from all angles no matter how it's mounted

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
Five chip is still nowhere near as good in omnidirectional uniformity as a filament. LEDs have lots of great properties. Omnidirectional brightness is not one of them.

cktx8388

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Five chip is still nowhere near as good in omnidirectional uniformity as a filament. LEDs have lots of great properties. Omnidirectional brightness is not one of them.
Clearly not. I guess my question is, do they make a bulb that would still fit but all light would be concentrated "downward" instead of 5 different points? Haven't seen anything so far but it never hurts asking.

OP
OP

2slo4u

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic, FRS
Vehicle Showcase

jdewd250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Aegean blue EX hatch has joined my 2016 Civic EX sedan
Country flag
Just swapped out the bulbs, one issue made me take them out of the front, worked great in the trunk.

The bulbs I have are too long, they contact the lens on the map lights.

so now I am in search of a shorter bulb.

Looks like mine are 29mm and some of the others are 28mm I wonder if I can swing 28 or look for 27mm?

UPDATE: Changed out my CR-V lights and all went well except for the map lights on it as well.
So everything is changed on both vehicles except for the map lights, shorter bulbs on the way.

Last edited:

jdewd250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Aegean blue EX hatch has joined my 2016 Civic EX sedan
Country flag
I'm guessing because the bulb is facing down. How many chips are you using per bulb?
It has 5 chips, it barely touches the lens, that makes the lens not function.

It only needs a little bit more clearance, if the top chip wasn't on it I am sure it would work.

I think I may try to take the top chip off and see if it works, i have plenty of bulbs to experiment on. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP

2slo4u

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic, FRS
Vehicle Showcase
It has 5 chips, it barely touches the lens, that makes the lens function.

It only needs a little bit more clearance, if the top chip wasn't on it I am sure it would work.

I think I may try to take the top chip off and see if it works, i have plenty of bulbs to experiment on. :)
haha never hurts to try, but that top chip is where a lot of the light will come from :p but it never hurts. I have a 5 chip as well and mine clear..odd
Sponsored