DIY interior lighting install for OPT7 interior lighting kit.

SoSublime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hello everyone! I am going to be showing you all how to install the OPT7 interior lighting kit! Found here https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OU5LOT2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_BGgBUCytSRQeo

This guide is for the fuse tap (clean install type) and completely reversible.

BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING IN THIS GUIDE: USE THE INCLUDED CIGARETTE LIGHTER ADAPTER TO PLUG THE CONTROL BOX IN AND PLUG ALL LED BARS TO THE CONTROL BOX TO VERIFY EVERYTHING WORKS.

First things first, this is the main components what you will be encountering here, I didnt include multiples as to reduce clutter, and didnt include unused pieces.
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY interior lighting install for OPT7 interior lighting kit. 20170723_091750

You will need the control box, 4 x led strips, 3 x of the extension cables for control box to led strips, the fuse tap, and the power and ground leads.

First things first, getting the fuse tap setup.
Youre going to want to select the smallest of the 3 fuse tap types included that most resembles the fuses in our car.
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY interior lighting install for OPT7 interior lighting kit. 20170723_091846

From here we can now move to our car. under the driverside column on the left you will have our fuse box. The fuse we will be working from is the one circled in red
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY interior lighting install for OPT7 interior lighting kit. 20170723_095416

So what we want to do is pull the 10A fuse out from that location, a fuse puller is provided under the hood of the car in that fuse box next to the spare fuses.
After the fuse is pulled we wind up with this.
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY interior lighting install for OPT7 interior lighting kit. 20170723_093701

again referencing the diagram against the fuse box itself, after removal you should have 3 empty fuses (im not sure if those blank fuses are used in a higher trim I have an EX-T, if you have occupied fuses there just pay attention to the next part.)

What you want to do now is put the 10A fuse you removed from the fuse box in the empty slot on the fuse tap
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY interior lighting install for OPT7 interior lighting kit. 20170723_091846
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY interior lighting install for OPT7 interior lighting kit. 20170723_094001

Once you have your fuse tap set up and ready to go, just insert the fuse tap into the slot like you would any other fuse, like so.
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY interior lighting install for OPT7 interior lighting kit. 20170723_092121

Once you have that all set up, we can go ahead and connect the power lines to the fuse tap.
They look like this with a plug on the other end which connects to the control box
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY interior lighting install for OPT7 interior lighting kit. 20170723_091917

For the positive end, its easy, just slide the male piece pictured above into the female piece on the fuse tap, and then slide the plastic cover present on the fuse tap down onto the complete connection to shield it. The ground however requires placement. I chose a nice area of bare metal and an in place screw to ground it off.
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY interior lighting install for OPT7 interior lighting kit. 20170723_092254

This piece is right above your brake pedal, its super obvious and you cannot miss it. I believe the screw is a 13mm, but to be safe, grab a 12, 13, and 14mm to avoid more trips than necessary. All you do now, is simply unscrew the bolt just enough to slide the ground underneath the bolt, I placed mine against the little notch in the metal to add support, and then re tighten the bolt onto the ground.

Now your power is hooked up and you are ready to start installing some lights!

First thing you are going to want to do is mount the control box. I just used some of the included zip ties to secure it to the wiring harness for the car back there as it is secure, and easy to attach to. there is a set of wires labeled + and - which hooks up to the door switch to turn the lights on white when the doors are opened, I didnt use them as it would require splicing into the wires and I only do reversible installs. So I just covered the exposed ends and tucked them away.
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY interior lighting install for OPT7 interior lighting kit. 20170723_092345

Once the box is mounted, go ahead and plug the opposite end of the power leads in the prior step into the left side of the box. I then tucked the rest of the wire from the power lead over in the corner by the fuse box to clean it up. Once that's done, we can start connecting the LED strips.

For the LED strip under the driver column, using the provided 3m adhesive doesn't make sense and would shine the light down rather than out towards the cabin, as well as it may or may not block the adjustment for the telescopic steering wheel.

The easiest install for this is to just poke a few small holes in the rainbow padding up against the wall and slide a few zip ties though to secure it to that. Don't worry, the LED strips aren't heavy enough to damage it at all however this part, although easy, is the most irritating because you must poke a hole large enough to feed the zip tie through without losing the hole or it matting over itself. Just keep at it, and you will get it eventually. Dont worry about getting the strip 100% flat and flush with no bends, it makes zero difference to the lighting as long as its facing outwards.
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY interior lighting install for OPT7 interior lighting kit. 20170723_092424

Once thats done you can move over to the passenger side, where things start to get really easy. Just peel off the backing of the 3m tape, and stick it right on the plastic trim under the glove box like so.
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY interior lighting install for OPT7 interior lighting kit. 20170723_093513

To be able to run the lead to the control box you will need one of the extension cords included in the kit
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY interior lighting install for OPT7 interior lighting kit. Inked20170723_091750_LI

you are going to want to take the extension cord and feed it under the center console trim here
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY interior lighting install for OPT7 interior lighting kit. 20170723_092456

As you can see, there is a decent amount of space here
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY interior lighting install for OPT7 interior lighting kit. 20170723_092509

You are going to want to feed it from the drivers side, and push the extension cord over to the passenger side, make sure you double check which side connects to the strip and which side connects to the box first. You may get it to push over the first try, or you may need a couple tries. just keep feeding the cord through here until you get it, you will know you got it when you can go on the passenger side and can feel the cord under the trim over there. Once you have it, go ahead and pull it out until you have the plug, out, connect the LED strip to it, and push any excess cord back in like so to clean up
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY interior lighting install for OPT7 interior lighting kit. feed

Now onto the back lights,
under the back side of the driver and passenger seats right past the fabric when you start touching foam you are going to notice a few little clips, there is three of them, one on the very left, middle, and right. They have two holes on each side, and then a bar that goes across the front of the clip. You're going to want to secure the back lights to those clips where the bar is with zip ties, while also trying to make sure the lights are pointing outwards towards the back seats. Make sure when you attach these on both sides, you attach them so the cord points towards the center console.
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY interior lighting install for OPT7 interior lighting kit. 20170723_092804
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY interior lighting install for OPT7 interior lighting kit. 20170723_092826

If you attach them to the bar itself that is not secured to the clip, the zip ties can slip around and wont be secured.

Once you have them successfully mounted, you want to take an extension cord for both sides, plug it into the LED bar and go under the slide for the seat. If you go over the slide for the seat, when you move the seat forward or backwards, you could potentially cut the cord to the lights.
So do it like so
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY interior lighting install for OPT7 interior lighting kit. 20170723_093336

Once you have both sides connected to the extension cables, and under the seat slides, then you want to press the extension cord on the drivers side under the trim for the center console in between the seat and the console and bring the connection to the box up front.
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY interior lighting install for OPT7 interior lighting kit. 20170723_093357

Leave yourself a little slack here so you can move the seat forwards and backwards without stressing the cord and connections.

Do the same thing for the passenger side, except go around the back of the center console (towards the back seats) and onto the drivers side pushing the cord under the trim as you go, there is a lot of room and flex on the trim, so don't be worried, you wont break anything unless you hulk it.

Once you have everything pressed under the trim and up to the drivers side, it should come out here.
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY interior lighting install for OPT7 interior lighting kit. 20170723_105840

Now you want to make sure you feed the wires behind everything, the gas pedal and wire, the brake pedal, and the steering column like so.
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY interior lighting install for OPT7 interior lighting kit. 20170723_092529

Now that that is all fed behind the pedals and wires, go ahead and connect everything to the control box.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY interior lighting install for OPT7 interior lighting kit. 20170723_110539

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY interior lighting install for OPT7 interior lighting kit. 20170723_110533

Once your finished here, go ahead, turn your car on and test out your new lights!

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY interior lighting install for OPT7 interior lighting kit. 19756673_1360213944096954_1759903152652431489_n
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY interior lighting install for OPT7 interior lighting kit. 19756860_1360213804096968_4364184598291208865_n
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY interior lighting install for OPT7 interior lighting kit. 19756917_1360210077430674_2931581931300252979_n
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY interior lighting install for OPT7 interior lighting kit. 19875399_1360210204097328_985436866515712213_n
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY interior lighting install for OPT7 interior lighting kit. 19959202_1360210137430668_7973878048812832311_n
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY interior lighting install for OPT7 interior lighting kit. 19989705_1360210097430672_2943334207211363078_n

If you have any questions about any steps or have any difficulty or may not exactly understand a certain part, shoot me a question and I will be glad to help!

Last edited:

Space Lord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
Country flag
Looks great! I have the same kit as you and my install was very similar but I took apart the center console. Their under glow kit is also pretty cool too.

OP
OP

SoSublime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Looks great! I have the same kit as you and my install was very similar but I took apart the center console. Their under glow kit is also pretty cool too.
Yeah, I have the grille kit waiting to be installed.
I didnt take apart the center console, as I didnt see it really necessary when all the cords could be pushed under and completely hidden, seemed like more work for little to no real benefit.

Space Lord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
Country flag
Yeah, I have the grille kit waiting to be installed.
I didnt take apart the center console, as I didnt see it really necessary when all the cords could be pushed under and completely hidden, seemed like more work for little to no real benefit.
Yeah it wasn't necessary I was just in there routing wires for my audio stuff anyway. Can't wait to see the grille leds I've been curious to see how they look!

OP
OP

SoSublime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah it wasn't necessary I was just in there routing wires for my audio stuff anyway. Can't wait to see the grille leds I've been curious to see how they look!
Im not exactly sure on the timeframe for the grille LEDs cause I have to have my grille replaced by Honda first, and take out my battery so I can run the extension cords through the grommet. But when they are done, ill let you know the results.