DIY Installing auto dimming mirror

kyle_agronick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sensing
Country flag
I just installed the auto dimming mirror on my EX with sensing. It was fairly easy. I found that I was able to do it without removing a bunch of things that are listed in the official install instructions. You should use this in addition to the official instructions. This is how I did it.

You need to order the mirror and the harness for your car. This is what it comes with:
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Installing auto dimming mirror 20160922_150601

There is a bag with wire ties, stickers for the fuse, the wire, and the mirror. The wire has an inline fuse and another female adapter for daisy chaining another accessory.

More shots:
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Installing auto dimming mirror 20160922_150701

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Installing auto dimming mirror 20160922_150729

To start you need to take the cover off the sensing camera. There is a small cover above the poll for the mirror. Be careful popping that out, some of the tabs break easy. Then the whole cover pops out. You can unscrew the old mirror.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Installing auto dimming mirror 20160922_174107

Then take off the drivers side pillar. It comes out easy with one screw:
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Installing auto dimming mirror 20160922_174258

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Installing auto dimming mirror 20160922_174758

The official instructions want you to take off both visors. I just stuffed the cable into the ceiling. Its not noticeable at all. You can just pop it in. Make sure you give yourself some slack at the mirror. Just shove it under the ceiling to the pillar.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Installing auto dimming mirror 20160922_175353

You'll need to pop off this front panel and pop off the cables.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Installing auto dimming mirror 20160922_175545

For some reason there is a hose over here. I don't know what its for. Anyone know? It is listed in the instructions as the aspirator hose.
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Installing auto dimming mirror 20160922_175616

You then want to pop off this side panel. When you install the wire you'll take off the weather strip and you'll be easily able to move the wire from the side pillar down into this section. This panel has 2 screws.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Installing auto dimming mirror 20160922_175925

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Installing auto dimming mirror 20160922_180806

This is where you'll connect the harness. It was getting dark and I had to hurry up so I didn't take any more pictures. After this you'll need to take off the kickboard panel and the fuse box panel. The power end clips right into the fuse box. You'll want to run the wire behind the fuse box The ground bolt is hard to find. You'll need to give your car a reach around. Use a 10mm socket. You'll feel the bolt on the side or look up there with a flash light. Take it off and add the ground bolt for the new harness to what is already on there.

This is pretty much it. You'll want to secure the wires being sure not to cover the air bag in the pillar. On the sensing camera box you'll find holes to run the wire at the top of the small cover and at the bottom of where the poll for the mirror comes out. The new mirror simply slides and screws in. There are clips inside the camera box but I found they were too small to hold the wire.

You clip everything back into place. This is how it comes out:
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Installing auto dimming mirror 20160922_211413

Pearl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CivicT
Very good effort and thanks for taking the time to take and edit photos. That rubber aspirator hose is to activate autopilot in case of emergency.

tk_chatt

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Touring
Country flag
Good answer Pearl..! :thumbsup:

Actually, the aspirator hose draws cabin air over a temperature sensor. The sensor gives temperature information to your automatic climate control.

Last edited:

legallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback EX
how much does this mirror go for? I cant find a price on any sites that offer OEM

Doc777

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016 EX-L
Country flag
I just tested mine. Works great with flashlight but real world stinks. Thought about putting window tint on it.
Sponsored