DIY In-Tank Fuel Pump Install - Quick Write Up (Lack Pictures)

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic hb sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Introduction
I own a 2017 civic hatchback sport 6 MT. I am not a mechanic, but I love to tinker. I have acquired a bigger fuel pump to replace my stock fuel pump. After installation, the car started with my current tune. Drove around and did not notice any change to my AFR.

Install Time: 2 hours

Install Difficulty (1 easy - 5 hard): 3 (due to meticulous procedure, not breaking any plastic clips)

Tools: (from what I can remember)
12mm socket
10mm socket
3/8 extension
ratchet or impact
mini flat head
flat head screw driver
philips head screw driver
rubber mallet
Narrow tipped hose vacuum
Optional: C-shaped pinch pliers (I didn't have one, but will definitely help)
Optional: 3x small plastic trim removers

Step 1: Removal of Seats and Trunk Liner
Follow video guide in removing back seat (upper and lower) and trunk cover.

After removal, the pump cover will be between the seat and trunk.
Turn Philip screw counterclockwise to align the hole.
Careful lift the cover.

Step 2: Cut off Power
Disconnect negative battery terminal in the engine bay.
Carefully lift up the pump cover and you will disconnect the wire harness.
Put the wire and pump cover aside.
You will need to vacuum because its full of dirt and debris. You don't want this to fall into your gas tank. You make need to do this occasionally along the way, just to be safe.

Step 3: Disconnecting the Hoses
My position upon facing this. Back of my head facing the front of the car. My face facing the back of the car.
There are three hoses: 10, 3, and 7 (Using clock positioning)
Hose at 3: There's a clip you have to pull on top using a mini flat head. Carefully pry and pull out. This takes a bit of strength and carefully move it off the plastic.
Hose at 7: This was the easiest. I thinking you just press the sides and pull it off.
Hose at 10: This was tricky. You just press the sides and kinda wiggle it until it loosens and pulls. (C shaped pinch pliers would have helped.)
Move the hoses aside if possible; out of the way of the circular lock holding the pump.

Step 4: Removing the Round Lock
You will use a rubber mallet and a flat head.
Pound it off counterclockwise. DO NOT focus on one side. Move around the ring to even out the pressure.
Will require some hard pounding.
Once removed, you can put it aside.
Include the rubber O ring as well.

Step 5: You think you're done? Get surprised by a hoe(s). WARNING! PLEASE BE CAREFUL! YOU DO NOT WANT TO BREAK SOME PARTS!
Carefully lift the pump.
There will be a hose that is still connected. This hose is similar to the "hose at 10" in the removal process. It's a P.I.T.A.
Once the hose is disconnected. Slowly lift the pump cage, watch little parts. There is a fuel level sticking out on the side of the cage, so be careful of that.

Step 6: Say hello to the fuel pump cage.
There are some wires with two clips that you need to remove in the center of the cage. Disconnect those and undo the wires from the plastic hooks.
The pump is hidden in the center. Assess around the cage and you will find three locking clips.
I had 3x plastic panel removers that I inserted in between the locking clips.
Slowly lift up and you will see the butt of the pump is exposed. It has a filter connect to it.
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY In-Tank Fuel Pump Install - Quick Write Up (Lack Pictures) received_1801923046669018

Step 6: Removing the fuel pump
This has three locking clips holding it. I used the trim removers again to pull the fuel pump off. Careful with wires attached to it. Voila!
Important: There is an O ring and a plastic sleeve that you will reuse for the new pump. It will either come out or get stuck inside.
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY In-Tank Fuel Pump Install - Quick Write Up (Lack Pictures) 20210724_193715

Step 7: Everything is just reverse in the reinstallation process.
Good luck and enjoy!

Last edited:
OP
OP
MetalKnightCivicHB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic hb sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
which fuel pump is that & why a bigger pump ?
Because our stock fuel system is our limit.
I have the Eman fuel kit.

OP
OP
MetalKnightCivicHB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic hb sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I didn't realize the LPFP was part of the problem. Assumed it was just the HPFP and injectors.
Its part of his kit so idk tbh.