Halogen Headlight Projector Retrofit 2016-2021 Complete DIY

bay_hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Halogen Headlight Projector Retrofit 2016-2021 Complete DIY 0F28B3CB-67C4-491E-B2D2-B763162BAE39

Actually found a photo of what I meant lol.

The green arrows represent the holes that need to be drilled out on the universal bracket.

The red circles indicate where the D2S projector will mount on the stock bracket. (the bottom two hole line up perfectly with the projector so it won’t need to be drilled out) The black sharpie is what needs to be hollowed out for the projector to fit through. Hope this helps!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Rone811

Rone811

First Name
Rone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
@Rone811 I did have a set of crappy blacked out aftermarket lights and wasn't crazy about the look, but i would have to be flawless on the outside shroud for it to be good in my book. I'll give it a whirl and if not I will be blacking out everything except the turn signal and high beam bulb (I am going to hit that with some Krylon Stained Glass Yellow to match my fogs and my old GSR Integra).

I saw the picture as well about straightening the beam pattern. Thanks a lot for the tip, that would be something I would miss too as long as the steps were correct. Definitely going to be gong with the heat gun method since that is one tool I am used to using a lot lol. Just finished watching Calvin's tutorial on Headlight Junkies, seems like I'm going to try that way out and if not go the box method.

Question: Did you test on car before putting together or is bench test to eliminate all of that?
Calvin, yeah, he loves his heat gun! LOL
Other options:
Home oven
Box oven

I did all my testing in the garage. Bench testing eliminates you going to your car to try lights and see if its straight. That's how folks used to test everything back in the day.
Here is a pic i think how your headlights will look.
@spaghettixsauce
https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/diy-hid-projector-retrofit.10221/page-2

Honda Civic 10th gen Halogen Headlight Projector Retrofit 2016-2021 Complete DIY 00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190108201946895_COVER

this guy was the reason i wanted to do my retrofit. The only thing that really bothered me was that the low beam reflector area trim around projector wasn't straight hahah.
Honda Civic 10th gen Halogen Headlight Projector Retrofit 2016-2021 Complete DIY IMG_1024.JPG

Because I used that centric ring my trim looks more natural but regardless he still gets huge props from me for showing me through his work how to do it.

@bay_hatch

:p Couldn't help myself on using your little flip flops as my profile pic I did it just to pick on you.
I wanted to say "real talk" thank you so much for putting your 2 cents into helping other members with their projects in retrofitting. It just means a lot to me. Thank you.

Last edited:

WhoStoleMyVTEC

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si (Fc3)
Country flag
0F28B3CB-67C4-491E-B2D2-B763162BAE39.jpeg

Actually found a photo of what I meant lol.

The green arrows represent the holes that need to be drilled out on the universal bracket.

The red circles indicate where the D2S projector will mount on the stock bracket. (the bottom two hole line up perfectly with the projector so it won’t need to be drilled out) The black sharpie is what needs to be hollowed out for the projector to fit through. Hope this helps!
@bay_hatch Thank you so much for all of your help! Definitely helped tie up any loose ends that I had as far as the brackets as well as everything else. Makes perfect sense to me. I definitely plan on using both brackets just because but will be doing the d2s bracket first just in case (if anything happens get the disappointment out of the way in the beginning. lol)

Thanks again for jumping in and giving me some extra pointers on completing my first retrofit, it's definitely appreciated and hopefully there is enough compiled here that when more people go to tackle it there will already be enough information contained in the thread. Your retro came out great btw.

P.s. Typing this in socks and sandals as we speak... I can't help it I have always done it lol.

WhoStoleMyVTEC

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si (Fc3)
Country flag
Calvin, yeah, he loves his heat gun! LOL
Other options:
Home oven
Box oven

I did all my testing in the garage. Bench testing eliminates you going to your car to try lights and see if its straight. That's how folks used to test everything back in the day.
Here is a pic i think how your headlights will look.
@spaghettixsauce
https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/diy-hid-projector-retrofit.10221/page-2

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190108201946895_COVER.jpg

this guy was the reason i wanted to do my retrofit. The only thing that really bothered me was that the low beam reflector area trim around projector wasn't straight hahah.
IMG_1024.JPG

Because I used that centric ring my trim looks more natural but regardless he still gets huge props from me for showing me through his work how to do it.

@bay_hatch

:p Couldn't help myself on using your little flip flops as my profile pic I did it just to pick on you.
I wanted to say "real talk" thank you so much for putting your 2 cents into helping other members with their projects in retrofitting. It just means a lot to me. Thank you.
@Rone811 A little delayed response, I got lost in the world of retrofitting, paint options, and stuck in lala land of what I wanted to do as far as the retro was concerned (then got sidetracked on what I could do to my camaro, fa5 and something easy for my 9th gen accord). This was one of those things I have always wanted to do (I love electrical work) and thanks to your post it gave me the confidence to go out and just get it done.

You are right about Calvin though, that man loves his heat gun. I am very partial to the heat gun myself since I use it on a lot of other projects that I do (wrap is next) so that is probably going to be what I try with to start off.

I finally figured out what I want to do but I just saw the morimoto mini h1 8.0 and that little thing looks like a nice little upgrade with the added features. I may just be a little bit of a chicken on the whole cutting the shroud thing, so that's something I have to decide.

I just wanted to thank you so much as well for all of your help. When I get everything together I will probably be in contact to ask a couple questions about the bench setup after I get all of the parts. And I will definitely be posting up pictures.

I figured out what I am going to do as far as the light is concerned. Since I am going to be using the Pixel Board DRL which has the switchback turn signal I am going to black out the turn signal reflector- I am going to try Tamiya smoke or maybe Metalcast to hopefully get the smoked look over just black but either will work. Going with yellow for the high beam housing (stuck between Krylon Stained Glass and Duplicolor Metalcast). As far as the shrouds I am thinking of getting them hydro-dipped in carbon fiber just to add a nice little touch to go with the hood later on.

Here is a render I did in Photoshop of what I am planning on doing. I will definitely be adding the XB fogs to go along with my setup this time around as well:

Honda Civic 10th gen Halogen Headlight Projector Retrofit 2016-2021 Complete DIY yellowhighbeamsretro1

This is turning into a great thread! Thanks again for the pictures so I was able to gather an idea of what I want to do!

OP
OP
Rone811

Rone811

First Name
Rone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag

Great info mini h1 8.0 is a fantastic product

WhoStoleMyVTEC

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si (Fc3)
Country flag
I think I am going to give the mini h1 8.0 a try and see how it works out, still on the fence but I will definitely make a post and throw an update up when I am done.

That was the same video that had me considering to go that route, definitely looks like they did great with the update! Addressed a lot of things people had issues with. I also got to find out that they at least have the XV2 style bulbs rebased by Xenon Depot so I will be using those since they are the closest I can get to the real thing.

Can't wait to get everything in and start getting to work! Thanks again for all of the guidance!

bay_hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think I am going to give the mini h1 8.0 a try and see how it works out, still on the fence but I will definitely make a post and throw an update up when I am done.

That was the same video that had me considering to go that route, definitely looks like they did great with the update! Addressed a lot of things people had issues with. I also got to find out that they at least have the XV2 style bulbs rebased by Xenon Depot so I will be using those since they are the closest I can get to the real thing.

Can't wait to get everything in and start getting to work! Thanks again for all of the guidance!
The Mini H1s look like a solid bet too. If I can pick up another set of OEM Headlights for cheap I may retrofit for my girlfriends civic too. After retrofitting mine and then driving hers at night, there's a clear night and day difference that I can't go back to.

Using H1s will probably be less nerve wracking as well, since you dont have to trim anything.

kevok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Has anyone tried using just a lens swap in our car to achieve the similar results as a full projector swap?

OP
OP
Rone811

Rone811

First Name
Rone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Has anyone tried using just a lens swap in our car to achieve the similar results as a full projector swap?
it’s not the lens brother it’s the whole set up.
Left is oem, right is aftermarket oe projector shield (trash)
Honda Civic 10th gen Halogen Headlight Projector Retrofit 2016-2021 Complete DIY E0674E9A-00A5-4F62-B9BE-81D9681FACE1

Your saying your going to go through the trouble of putting in a lens that’s not fitted and spaced properly or made for our oem projectors.
Oem internal and aftermarket oe internal
Honda Civic 10th gen Halogen Headlight Projector Retrofit 2016-2021 Complete DIY 84F063A9-DCA1-422A-A071-F6A897887DCD

Aftermarket projectors like the Morimoto is also made of a special material that keeps it cool from 35w and 55w heat.
Oem projector on left // Morimoto on right
Honda Civic 10th gen Halogen Headlight Projector Retrofit 2016-2021 Complete DIY 297AE1B5-E3E8-4B4E-801E-E55FF69E0C3F

kevok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Just looking at options. I see that TRS sells just lens kits that look to be compatible with 2.5 or 3" factory projectors. Of course they require almost the same amount of work, but the cost is a lot cheaper. I imagine just swapping the lens with one from TRS also requires less adjustment as well.

OP
OP
Rone811

Rone811

First Name
Rone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Just looking at options. I see that TRS sells just lens kits that look to be compatible with 2.5 or 3" factory projectors. Of course they require almost the same amount of work, but the cost is a lot cheaper. I imagine just swapping the lens with one from TRS also requires less adjustment as well.
You can cut some costs down by using amazon projectors, cheap stuff direct swap. Go to junkyard and find yourself some Mazda or Toyota projectors. Sign up with retrofit junkies they can help you with other options.
I watch a lot of videos on YouTube-
-Fly Ride
-Lightwerkz
-The Retrofit Source
-RetrofitLab

highroller

First Name
U Hash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo
Country flag
Rone....
went thru your DIY thread... awesome work.
My question is regarding high beam flashing. When you do only high beam halogen bulb lights up and solenoid on projector moves but projector light doesn't. Or you should a way for both to flash simultaneously?

OP
OP
Rone811

Rone811

First Name
Rone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Rone....
went thru your DIY thread... awesome work.
My question is regarding high beam flashing. When you do only high beam halogen bulb lights up and solenoid on projector moves but projector light doesn't. Or you should a way for both to flash simultaneously?
Thank you sir. There is a 9005 splitter it’s like 8.50$ each that allows for solenoid to drop and use of original high beam to work at same time. If that’s the question?

highroller

First Name
U Hash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo
Country flag
Thank you sir. There is a 9005 splitter it’s like 8.50$ each that allows for solenoid to drop and use of original high beam to work at same time. If that’s the question?
Nope.
What happens when the lows are even off and you flash.

OP
OP
Rone811

Rone811

First Name
Rone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Nope.
What happens when the lows are even off and you flash.
yesterday I did this with car turned off and I have the splitter, only the high beams oem flashed/turned on.
Sponsored