First Name
Vinney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX w/Sensing
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Do I spy amber on your high beam reflector? Nice work! Gonna pop in some 9011s?
Sponsored

jgklim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
A Mini D2S 5.0 projector will fit. You'll have to trim the shroud if you want to keep it, and enlarge the projector hole to fit the 3in. projector. I wanted to retain factory height adjustments and factory shroud without cutting the back of the headlight as well. I was able to achieve all of this by customizing the OEM shield (which happens to be the mounting bracket as well) and mounting that to my new projector. This is where I'm at currently. I haven't sealed the light back up yet, just set the lens on top to take the pic.

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190108201946895_COVER.jpg
this looks really cool. How did you tint the reflector yellow? Do you have a picture of how it mounts to the back of the projector?

Thanks in advance!

spaghettixsauce

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
this looks really cool. How did you tint the reflector yellow? Do you have a picture of how it mounts to the back of the projector?

Thanks in advance!
I used window glass paint. I ended up not liking it and re-doing it black. As far as the projector, I don't have a picture of the new projector with the brackets mounted, but you can see the OEM projector here. You can see how the shield is the actual bracket as well. You'll end up disassembling the old projector and trimming the bracket so you can mount it to your new projector. It only mounts on the top and bottom of projector.

Here are pics of how everything came out afterwards.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY HID Projector Retrofit IMG_20190105_134645

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY HID Projector Retrofit IMG_20190105_134701

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY HID Projector Retrofit IMG_20190113_152949

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY HID Projector Retrofit IMG_20190113_175342

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY HID Projector Retrofit IMG_20190111_211145

spaghettixsauce

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Do I spy amber on your high beam reflector? Nice work! Gonna pop in some 9011s?
Ended up painted that portion black instead. The highbeam wasn't going to be used anyway since the projectors are bi-xenon. There were too many colors going on in the front of the car with the red emblem, yellow high beam, orange blinkers and blue projector.

iShift_6

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe WOP
Country flag
@spaghettixsauce that is a gorgeous retrofit!

What paint did you use to paint the shroud black?

I'm thinking about changing out my Bi-LED setup to what you are running or the new PJX Bi-LED.
How do you like the Mini D2S 5.0? How's the width?

spaghettixsauce

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
@spaghettixsauce that is a gorgeous retrofit!

What paint did you use to paint the shroud black?

I'm thinking about changing out my Bi-LED setup to what you are running or the new PJX Bi-LED.
How do you like the Mini D2S 5.0? How's the width?
I used duplicolor low gloss black engine enamel. Rated to 500 degrees so I figure that can't hurt.
I like the setup a lot. I know the mini h1 is a more plug and play projector but the reviews of the d2s series made me choose that. The width is great. I don't have many projectors to compare it to but definitely better than the tsx and evo xr projectors.

I didn't take very many good pictures yet but hope this helps .

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY HID Projector Retrofit MVIMG_20190111_205506~2

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY HID Projector Retrofit IMG_20190111_210241

iShift_6

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe WOP
Country flag
I used duplicolor low gloss black engine enamel. Rated to 500 degrees so I figure that can't hurt.
I like the setup a lot. I know the mini h1 is a more plug and play projector but the reviews of the d2s series made me choose that. The width is great. I don't have many projectors to compare it to but definitely better than the tsx and evo xr projectors.

The output/color/width look amazing. Definitely better than the touring/R LEDs, and worlds wider than my current setup.
And thanks for the info, time to rework my other set of lights o_O

Nitroturtle

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PMM CTR, 2006 S2000, 2010 Element EX AWD
Country flag
So

MVIMG_20190111_205506~2.jpg

IMG_20190111_210241.jpg
So this is Mini D2S v5s, right? I just picked up my CTR this past week and compared to the older model D2Ss I put in our CR-V, the CTR lights are pretty meh. Was considering doing this eventually. Did you use OEM assemblies or DEPO/TYC? I have to get new assemblies as I don't even want to try to retro the factory CTR lights.

Looks great BTW. Love the shallower step on the newer version. I have the previous version in the CR-V and the step is HUGE.

spaghettixsauce

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
So

So this is Mini D2S v5s, right? I just picked up my CTR this past week and compared to the older model D2Ss I put in our CR-V, the CTR lights are pretty meh. Was considering doing this eventually. Did you use OEM assemblies or DEPO/TYC? I have to get new assemblies as I don't even want to try to retro the factory CTR lights.

Looks great BTW. Love the shallower step on the newer version. I have the previous version in the CR-V and the step is HUGE.
Yes, they are Mini D2S 5.0s. once I get a few more decent pics I will try to make a separate thread. Unfortunately I didn't take too many pics of the install. Yeah don't try to retro the CTR ones lol, that will be a nightmare. The OEM LEDs aren't horrible, and will probably be more than enough for the average user, but once you've had a nice set of projectors or a good retro, it doesn't compare. I used a set OEM assemblies but I supposed the Depo will work just as well.

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag

MVIMG_20190111_205506~2.jpg

IMG_20190111_210241.jpg
What bulbs are you using in these pics?

Nitroturtle

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PMM CTR, 2006 S2000, 2010 Element EX AWD
Country flag
Yes, they are Mini D2S 5.0s. once I get a few more decent pics I will try to make a separate thread. Unfortunately I didn't take too many pics of the install. Yeah don't try to retro the CTR ones lol, that will be a nightmare. The OEM LEDs aren't horrible, and will probably be more than enough for the average user, but once you've had a nice set of projectors or a good retro, it doesn't compare. I used a set OEM assemblies but I supposed the Depo will work just as well.
So I'm reading through this again and really thinking I want to do a retro myself. For the mounting, did you just shave off the shielded part of the stock brackets to allow for the Mini D2S to shine through completely? How was the alignment process? Do any of the factory mounting points line up or do you need to do a manual horizontal alignment? That's the part I always hate, because I prefer to mount them to align, which means installing the lights a few times.

spaghettixsauce

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
So I'm reading through this again and really thinking I want to do a retro myself. For the mounting, did you just shave off the shielded part of the stock brackets to allow for the Mini D2S to shine through completely? How was the alignment process? Do any of the factory mounting points line up or do you need to do a manual horizontal alignment? That's the part I always hate, because I prefer to mount them to align, which means installing the lights a few times.
I used the stock shield/bracket. Cut the whole inside of that piece and made holes that will match the projector. With that bracket you can use the OEM mounting points. As long as the projector is mounted to the bracket straight, you shouldn't have any issues with alignment. I got it right the first try. Take a look at this image. This image isn't mine, but is another member's who I helped with his retrofit. He was patient enough to take pictures lol. This is the way I did it. Thanks to @airickmatthews for the pics.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY HID Projector Retrofit IMG_20190411_135643_361

airickmatthews

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic hatch sport
Country flag
I used the stock shield/bracket. Cut the whole inside of that piece and made holes that will match the projector. With that bracket you can use the OEM mounting points. As long as the projector is mounted to the bracket straight, you shouldn't have any issues with alignment. I got it right the first try. Take a look at this image. This image isn't mine, but is another member's who I helped with his retrofit. He was patient enough to take pictures lol. This is the way I did it. Thanks to @airickmatthews for the pics.

IMG_20190411_135643_361.jpg
Ayyy.. that look familiar. Lol just take your time shaving the stock cut off shield. It’s not difficult, but it sure it super time consuming.
Sponsored