DIY HID Projector Retrofit

FK7Hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
What you'll need:

• HID Projectors ( ILX, 09-14 MDX Should be direct fit), however with imagination you can make any 2.5" projector fit. I used projectors from a Maxima.
  • Oven or Heat-gun
  • Flat and phillips screwdrivers
  • Spare Headlight housings (Optional but advised, I used TYC housings)
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY HID Projector Retrofit IMG_1309.JPG

1. Remove all the bulbs and rubber seals from the headlight. On the back of the headlight, there will be screws that go into the lens like pictured below, remove all these screws around the perimeter. Honda Civic 10th gen DIY HID Projector Retrofit IMG_1308.JPG Honda Civic 10th gen DIY HID Projector Retrofit IMG_1307.JPG
  2. Once done, place your headlight in the oven on the middle rack on some 2x4s for 10 mins at 200 degrees F. (I used a heat gun)
  3. Remove the headlight from the oven, and start to work your screw driver under the lens starting at the high beam, and working your way towards the turn indicators, eventually the lens will come up enough that you can pry the two haves apart by hand. (This step takes patience, if you don't get it the first time, put them back in the oven to loosen the glue and keep trying). Honda Civic 10th gen DIY HID Projector Retrofit IMG_1310.JPG
  4. Once you have the lens off, remove the four phillips screws holding indicator and the DRL LEDS in, carefully unplug the DRL wires from the PCB. Honda Civic 10th gen DIY HID Projector Retrofit IMG_1311.JPG Honda Civic 10th gen DIY HID Projector Retrofit IMG_1312.JPG
  5. Now flip the headlight over, and back the headlight adjuster screw all the way out. Honda Civic 10th gen DIY HID Projector Retrofit IMG_1313.JPG
  6. Now turn the headlight around, and release the four tabs used to hold the headlight bracket it on both ball joints.
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY HID Projector Retrofit IMG_1314.JPG
7. Remove the Headlight Bracket from the Assembly
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY HID Projector Retrofit IMG_1315.JPG
8. There are four screws holding the projector onto the bracket, remove these four screws.
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY HID Projector Retrofit IMG_1316.JPG
9. Remove the Halogen projector and replace it with your HID Projector. (Depending on what projector you use, you may need to modify or create brackets to mount the projectors.) Once you do so, insert a bulb and fire on the bulb inside the projector to check your rotation is perfect. You'll see below I had to drill and cut the factory mounting points on these Maxima Projectors in order to mount them.
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY HID Projector Retrofit IMG_1318.JPG
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY HID Projector Retrofit IMG_1319.JPG
10. Once thats done, put everything back together in reverse order, mount the lights on your car to verify correct rotation and make adjustments before you put the lens back on and into the oven!!

11. Mount the headlights onto the car, and aim your headlights accordingly. from 25ft from the wall, they should be about 2" lower than the height to the center line of your projectors of the ground.

Final Results:
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY HID Projector Retrofit IMG_1320.JPG
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY HID Projector Retrofit IMG_1322.JPG
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY HID Projector Retrofit IMG_1325.JPG
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY HID Projector Retrofit IMG_1326.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
FK7Hatch

FK7Hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Nice.

I have a few questions:

1.Why did you decide to go with the projectors from the Maxima?
2.Which headlight performed better in your opinion, stock halogens or the retro?
Someone on here said that the Maximas were bolt in projectors, so when I saw a pair for cheap, I jumped on it.

I got rid of stock halogens two weeks into ownership, they sucked. Compared to the hid kit I had in their before, you'll notice the light is wider and more evenly dispersed. I also notice that it looks dimmer than the hid kit because of how it has less foreground lighting, however because of this I'm able to look further down the road.

OP
OP
FK7Hatch

FK7Hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Pretty awesome that they bolt right in. No adjustment or tweaking needed. Nice work
lol I wish, these required me to cut off parts of the bracket, and the projector mounting holes and drill a bit to bolt them right up

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
lol I wish, these required me to cut off parts of the bracket, and the projector mounting holes and drill a bit to bolt them right up
I see it now on the top in one of the pictures. Still, as far as retrofits go, this is a super clean install. I'm hoping to get a bunch done on mine today and this weekend.... Life is getting in the way again. This is why I bought a second set of head lights... I knew it would take me forever to finish lol

OP
OP
FK7Hatch

FK7Hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I see it now on the top in one of the pictures. Still, as far as retrofits go, this is a super clean install. I'm hoping to get a bunch done on mine today and this weekend.... Life is getting in the way again. This is why I bought a second set of head lights... I knew it would take me forever to finish lol
Yeah, it could've been worse with JBWeld and loads of silicone hahaha. I was just lazy, it would've taken me longer if i decided to make custom shields to go with the clear lenses.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So I got a lot done with mine yesterday.... and it's not good. Bolting the FX-R in made it sit farther back than the OEM lens, so after I re-assembled everything it looked ridiculous. I ended up cutting the adjustable mounting bracket in half and bonding on a piece of carbon fiber sheet I had laying around. I'll re-fit the bracket back into the ball joints and threaded adjustment, then cut out a hole for my FX-R to mount too. What sucks now, I have to mount the headlights into the vehicle to get the roll orientation correct before fixing the lens to the bracket.

Bottom line... FX-R is not a good lens for an easy install.

OP
OP
FK7Hatch

FK7Hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So I got a lot done with mine yesterday.... and it's not good. Bolting the FX-R in made it sit farther back than the OEM lens, so after I re-assembled everything it looked ridiculous. I ended up cutting the adjustable mounting bracket in half and bonding on a piece of carbon fiber sheet I had laying around. I'll re-fit the bracket back into the ball joints and threaded adjustment, then cut out a hole for my FX-R to mount too. What sucks now, I have to mount the headlights into the vehicle to get the roll orientation correct before fixing the lens to the bracket.

Bottom line... FX-R is not a good lens for an easy install.
Those things have always been a pain to retro haha, sucks, but good luck dude!

jluff007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Toyota 4 Runner Limited, 2017 Honda Civic HB Sport
Country flag
Do you have a link for the TYC housings you used? i want to do a retrofit like this. but i dont want to tear apart my factory headlamp. I haven't attempted something like this yet and i would hate to screw it up too bad. Maybe i should just find a nice set of HID's to put in the stock housing. :/

OP
OP
FK7Hatch

FK7Hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Do you have a link for the TYC housings you used? i want to do a retrofit like this. but i dont want to tear apart my factory headlamp. I haven't attempted something like this yet and i would hate to screw it up too bad. Maybe i should just find a nice set of HID's to put in the stock housing. :/
I got them off rock auto

choo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Hatch Sport 6MT , 1995 240sx
Country flag
What year Maxima projectors are those? I have a set of working headlights from an '04, hoping I could use them.

OP
OP
FK7Hatch

FK7Hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What year Maxima projectors are those? I have a set of working headlights from an '04, hoping I could use them.
These are the newer Maximas, I believe the last gen before they went to LEDs

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Last edited: