DIY: Glove Box Light

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Soo. Much to my dismay the glove box is pitch black at night.
I wanted to wire one in with as little damage to anything factory, with as little effort as possible.

This method is hooked up to the interior illumination lights. They will be always on if your interior lights are on. There is no "switch" to only turn it on when the glovebox is opened. FWIW, Honda used exactly this system from the factory on my 2007 Accord, so it's not uncommon/shady.

First thing I did was throw in an LED work light into the glove box at night and shut the door - there is no light leak, which is good.

Standard disclaimer - do EVERYTHING below at your own risk. In terms of difficulty it's not very high, but you are taking apart a new vehicle. Be careful, and take your time. Use common sense.

Things needed:
- A light source; I had some of these LED's lying around so I used the panel.
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Glove Box Light W5OSZmJ

- Some wire; I had a random bit of 18 gauge wire so I used that. The + cable is only about 3 feet long so you can use higher gauge (thinner) wires
- Tools: 10mm ratchet/wrench, philips screwdriver, wiretap/t-tap, heatshrink, wire stripper, needle-nose pliers, plastic-trim pry tool.
- These instructions:
http://www.bernardiparts.com/Images/Install/2016_CivicSedan_IlluminatedDoorSillTrim_AII02278-10.pdf

Steps:
1. Unhook battery; just the negative will do. You'll need a 10mm wrench.
2. Remove interior trim pieces outlined in steps 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 from the Illuminated Door Sill instructions. No need to go further. You'll need the phillips screwdriver, plastic pry tool, and optionally a 7mm or 8mm (can't remember) ratchet to remove the bolts from the bottom of the glovebox, as they're in awkward locations.
3. Driver's side should look like this now:
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Glove Box Light pzSzSYH

4. To the right of the OBD port, there are 2 connectors attached together, A white and yellow one:
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Glove Box Light Ie1BAuG

5. MAKE SURE BATTERY IS DISCONNECTED. As far as I know yellow connectors are air-bag related, so don't take chances. Although I may be wrong about the airbag. But seriously, if you haven't done so yet, disconnect your battery. Unplug the yellow connector by pulling down on the black tab.
6. Then unplug the white connector:
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Glove Box Light I9SapnE

7. The wire we will use is the gray one, top-right of the unplugged white connector (credit goes to user kered424 for helping me find this).
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Glove Box Light R2erezr

8. Use wire-tap to connect your wire to the gray wire. You may need to pull a small bit of the tape/loom off to expose a bit more wire. It's very tight down there, be warned. Needle-nose pliers are necessary due to the very limited space. Regular pliers won't give you the accuracy you need to avoid damaging other wires.
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Glove Box Light VXNFaK0

9. Route wire creatively, avoiding any mechanically moving parts such as the steering column. I used electrical tape to tape the wire on the inside of the plastic shield. No pictures because it's impossible to take them lol.
10. Proceed to run wire behind climate controls/infotainment. You can tape your wire to a straightened coat hanger to make it easier; I did fine without.
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Glove Box Light JOcNnQe

Note 1. My LED's were modular with a 2-pin connector. Benefits of this is that it's easy to reverse polarity of the bulb itself, and that if for whatever reason the bulb burns out it's easier to replace.
11. Cut the wire; use judgement to see how much wire would be enough, and add about 3 inches to it. The placement of the glovebox and its openings will add more distance to the total wire length.
11. Connect the wire to the + wire of the female 2-pin connector. I didn't solder them, but wound the strands together and heatshrinked. Use proper technique/common sense.
12. Cut a shorter piece of wire, again using judgement, connect one end to the - wire of the female 2-pin connector.
13. Connect other end to the ground point visible. You should use a ring terminal if you have one; I didn't, and wound the wire around the metal ring of the vehicle ground wires:
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Glove Box Light umAIeNn

14. Plug the white and yellow connectors back in the driver's footwell.
15. Reconnect battery.
16. Connect LED, test to see it works:
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Glove Box Light Z5ql3yr

17. On the back of the glovebox there is a wire hole you can feed your wires/light through. Tape the wires on the inside of the box, so when you put the glovebox back, you can still see your wires. I learned this the hard way by putting the glovebox back and realizing I couldn't find the wires lol.
18. Replace glovebox.
19. The bulb I had had some exposed circuitry on the back of the LED panel. I covered that with electrical tape just in case:
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Glove Box Light 4ZNKjd0

20. Then added 3M double-sided tape:
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Glove Box Light jf5iwjd

21. Attach to the inside top of glovebox:
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Glove Box Light sjXyv2

22. Test light again for good measure.
23. Put everything back together.
Note: the "aspirator hose" in Step 8 of the Illuminated Door Sill instructions may have been pulled back into the car. You can pull this hose out pretty far without damaging anything, with a bit of wiggling. It's impossible to reconnect without pulling it out a good inch or so. Just be careful.

Final Result!!

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
Nice work. Couldn't you also tap into the fuse panel on the fuse for the interior lights, using a fuse tap connector? Would eliminate wire splicing.

OP
OP

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
It would, but the fuse for the interior lights is in the engine bay lol - would require a longer wire plus routing around engine compartment and firewall haha

burns_erin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX w/Sensing
Country flag
So, off topic, but since yours is the only thread to mention the OBD port, can you direct me to it. I've got one of those stupid driving trackers I want to put in.

Donuyen18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda s2000
Country flag
Still amazes me that Honda does not have this in vehicles anymore. Sam thing with a trunk liner and coverings below the dash

greg_in_canada

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
I installed my own (always on) glovebox light using a couple of these 12V self adhesive LED strips: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/360688434108?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=630140212758&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I used a fuse tap to get power from fuse 2 which is unused on my car. It is powered when the car is on or in accessories. I put a couple of diodes in series with the LED strips to drop the voltage a bit and give reverse polarity protection. I used one warm white and one cool white strip to give a pleasing color temperature.

dohmez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Nice! Now we just need a guide on installing a "soft"-opening mechanism. I hate the fact that the box just DROPS when you open it.

JuiceStainD

First Name
Juice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 LX Sedan
Country flag
This makes me want to DIY lights for centre console as I find myself using it more than the glovebox, especially at night. IE; trying to find cigar lighter, trying to find change for coffee in the drive through, license and registration 🙄😅, etc.
Sponsored