DIY: Front/Rear Dashcam & Hardwire Install on '17 Hatchback

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
If you are using a fuse tap, you are correct, not a problem which orientation you insert it. As you say, if you insert it 'backwards, then your camera will be protected by two fuses. And as the video says, your camera fuse needs to be less/lower than the one you are replacing. The taps I bought include 5amp fuses, so those will blow before the one being replaced. (My Blackvue says it uses 1-2 amps)

The problem comes for those folks who use a jumper or just wrap the wire around the existing fuse prong. If you happen to just wrap the wire around the fuse prong and then just stick it back in without knowing one side it hot or not, then you have a 50% chance of connecting directly to the hot side, and therefore not having any protection.

Fuse taps are cheap, and easy to use. (Though you do have to get a pin connector or similar to connect your wire to the fuse tap. But those are cheap too.) Spend the extra few bucks and the extra 15 minutes to do it right :)
ah gotcha you were talking about fuse taps instead of add-a-fuse.

I see the same recommendations for add-a-fuses but couldnt think of why it it really mattered. A lot of it is just parroted information in the forums without really looking at why it's considered "bad". Less than ideal? sure but not like i'll fry my circuit like the video leads one to believe. Both circuits are still fused in any orientation. One will just go through two fuses, and worst case you blow the factory fuse if your added fuse is higher. Shouldnt be running a higher fuse than the factory fuse position anyway with a dashcam.
Sponsored

Last edited:

BNGBNGBONG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
i'm about to attempt this. anyone have a part number for the green clips?
Part number is 91560-SZW-003. Did this on the weekend using this guide and it was a great resource. Broke three clips though, so there's that..

aman_u

First Name
Aman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Hatchback Sport touring 2018
Country flag
I'm having trouble getting that knee panel open to get access to the fuse box. Any advice?
Grab from the bottom and use some force and pull out and upwards it should snap out with some force

Codenave

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Polished Metal Civic Type R
Country flag
Amazing write up. Thank you so much for the help. I struggled so hard with the rear lol.

Driukas

First Name
Andrius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic prestige
Country flag
Hi,not sure is right place but... I'm bought hatchback with cracked camera so not sure how replace it, try youtube no luck, is two handles so probably nead start removing from that? Or maybe someone got link how to do
Sponsored