DIY: Front/Rear Dashcam & Hardwire Install on '17 Hatchback

Zer0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Hatch 6MT
I've had some questions posting in other threads so I figured it best to make a thread about it. I tried to be as detailed as possible, but some pics are low light and thus the quality suffers. This thread will detail the full install (with pics) as well as guide you through what fuses to use and how to wire things.

Install time is 2-4 hours depending on skill level. It can be done in a much lazier way, but if you take the time to do the install properly it will come out VERY professional. My specific dashcam runs 24/7 whether the car is on or off and automatically records accidents and motion when parked. Once done, the only wires visible will be 1-2" going to each camera. Everything else is hidden in an OEM manner.

FOR FUSES/GROUND

See steps below for pics

Fuse #1 (Accessory) for SWITCHED FUSE. Turns on when car is on, off when car is off.
Fuse #16 (Door Lock) for ALWAYS ON FUSE. Always gets battery power, car on or off. Locked or unlocked.
Bolt securing fusebox to car body is a ground

REQUIRED TOOL LIST

-Trim prying tools
-8mm Socket
-10mm Socket
-Fuse Puller
-Flashlight

(OPTIONAL) Replacement Trim Clips

Honda OEM Part # 91560-SZW-003, $0.60ish each at dealer. You may break a few installing rear dash cam.

DASH CAM/HARDWIRE (OPTIONAL, Other models may apply)

Thinkware X500 w/ Rear Camera:
https://www.amazon.com/THINKWARE-X500D-Dashcam-Camera-MicroSD/dp/B0147I0JEW/

Thinkware Hardwire Kit:
https://www.amazon.com/Thinkware-TWA-SH-Hardwiring-Cable-X150/dp/B00NC062E8/

STEPS

Interior fusebox is located at the driver's left knee area right above the leftmost kick panel. To have 100% easy access, remove the knee trim panel as described below. NOTE: There are wires on the TOP LEFT and TOP RIGHT corner that must be unclipped to get the panel out of the way, these can be accessed after popping the trim panel itself away from the dash. It takes some muscle, pry from the sides. Red circle is fusebox location.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Front/Rear Dashcam & Hardwire Install on '17 Hatchback YXvM5nx

Locate "SRS AIRBAG" logo on A pillar driver's side trim. Push in HARD with fingers on this small square sized panel and an edge will bulge up. Once bulged up use a trim prying tool to pop out of place (you can also use a flat head screwdriver but it is very likely to gouge your plastic trim)

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Front/Rear Dashcam & Hardwire Install on '17 Hatchback FzvjirP

Under cover is an 8MM / Phillips head bolt. Remove it and put somewhere safe.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Front/Rear Dashcam & Hardwire Install on '17 Hatchback 7EWMGG

Once bolt is removed pry cover using hands towards middle of the car from the same location my fingers are, note that it will start to pry up and then "stop". There is a pop clip under the cover right at the red circle's position, slide fingers right next to it and simply pull more. Once this clip pops pull cover UP and TOWARDS YOU to unhook where it connects into the dash, and then it will be fully detached.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Front/Rear Dashcam & Hardwire Install on '17 Hatchback Y7usNnU

Head to the back of the car and open hatch. Top left corner of opened hatch, note rubber tube. This peels away from the body and has many wires running through it (for things such as brake lights). Pull it up using your hands.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Front/Rear Dashcam & Hardwire Install on '17 Hatchback WzpPd37

Peek inside the hole this rubber tube was covering and follow the wire loom down it, notice it passes through a second piece of metal and then right next to what looks like a piece of cardboard, this is the inside edge of your headliner.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Front/Rear Dashcam & Hardwire Install on '17 Hatchback wct6g7K

Go back to the inside of your car and notice the left interior where the D pillar trim panel meets the headliner. This is where you will pass the rear camera's wire through. The headliner is flexible so just kind of force your way in, push the wire through and up into the backside of the hole pictured above, then with your other hand reach into the hole left by the rubber tube removed a few steps ago and pull the wire.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Front/Rear Dashcam & Hardwire Install on '17 Hatchback DPL0tc5

Pass the wire through the rubber tube. My rear camera uses a micro-USB connection and it was tough but not impossible. BE PATIENT and bunch up the tube, shove the plug as far in as you can and then try to pull it through. This will take a while and is the most tedious part, but once the wire is through there is MORE than enough room inside the tube for the factory wiring and you'll have a super clean install!

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Front/Rear Dashcam & Hardwire Install on '17 Hatchback 6eeYYRK

Pull tube off from hatch panel just like you did on from the car body, continue passing wire through until it has fully cleared the tube.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Front/Rear Dashcam & Hardwire Install on '17 Hatchback 2tvFLEn

Pop trim panels that make up the interior of your trunk. These are held on with pop clips that may break (see part number under OPTIONAL for extras). Start with the top, center panel and work your way out towards the edge. YOU DO NOT NEED TO REMOVE THESE PANELS, only make enough clearance to pass the wire through the hole on the left that is concealed by the trim.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Front/Rear Dashcam & Hardwire Install on '17 Hatchback SysjpZ4

The wire will pass THROUGH the rubber tube's hole, through some hollow metal out towards a hole (yellow circle) and then double back behind the plastic trim to your desired rear camera location.

NOTE: Wire is represented by red, hole it passes through behind the trim is yellow.
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Front/Rear Dashcam & Hardwire Install on '17 Hatchback 0kjpkIN

Once this is done, pull as much wire as you need through and reclip all your trim back in, hiding the wire behind it. AGAIN, Be careful with the plastic push clips and make sure they are lined up 100%, they break easily but can be replaced if you mess them up.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Front/Rear Dashcam & Hardwire Install on '17 Hatchback qr3HaAQ

Re-secure the rubber tubing, double check the seal. This is supposed to be WATER PROOF as it is exposed to the elements, so make sure it is plugged back up like it came.

Start tucking camera wire under the plastic trim panel you started with, working your way forward

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Front/Rear Dashcam & Hardwire Install on '17 Hatchback g8ub2lP

Next, tuck between the weather seal and headliner's edge. If you do it well enough it will hide the wire 100% and be very secure

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Front/Rear Dashcam & Hardwire Install on '17 Hatchback P5v6YWO

Keep tucking...

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Front/Rear Dashcam & Hardwire Install on '17 Hatchback YE70Xz2

When you reach the B pillar trim start tucking between the headliner and trim panel itself

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Front/Rear Dashcam & Hardwire Install on '17 Hatchback 3DkMtDl

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Front/Rear Dashcam & Hardwire Install on '17 Hatchback M6AMI4d

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Front/Rear Dashcam & Hardwire Install on '17 Hatchback nMW8NHn

I think you get the point now... do this all the way forward until you reach the airbag that was under the A pillar.

Now jump down to your fusebox area we prepped in the very first steps and start setting up your hard wire

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Front/Rear Dashcam & Hardwire Install on '17 Hatchback qkkKCdQ

We will be wiring into fuse #1 for switched power, #16 for constant always on power, and using the fusebox's securing bolt as a ground (this was tested to be 100% with a multimeter)

NOTE That my hardwiring kit has a fuse in line for the dash cam, so we are 100% safe directly connecting the wire into the fusebox. Other kits may require the use of an "add a fuse" kit to be safe.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Front/Rear Dashcam & Hardwire Install on '17 Hatchback pV76er

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Front/Rear Dashcam & Hardwire Install on '17 Hatchback iWp9msL

**TEST EVERYTHING BEFORE NEXT STEPS TO ENSURE DASHCAM IS BEING POWERED AS DESIRED**

Run wiring up the weather stripping next to the airbag. Do not cross the wire over the airbag as it may effect airbag deployment in the event of an accident, you do *not* want to mess with safety.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Front/Rear Dashcam & Hardwire Install on '17 Hatchback 4zDo6Zh

Tuck wire between body and airbag, not over and then tuck it under the headliner and start running it towards the rearview mirror

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Front/Rear Dashcam & Hardwire Install on '17 Hatchback wwg3wTO

Tuck wiring up between headliner and glass, if you pull slightly down on the headliner's edge there is a perfect channel just inside the headliner that will hold the wire securely

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Front/Rear Dashcam & Hardwire Install on '17 Hatchback sogaugu

Mount and wire up front/rear dashcam and admire your work! Test once again just to be sure before you button everything up.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Front/Rear Dashcam & Hardwire Install on '17 Hatchback cVRpa0Q

Snap everything together, re-attach a pillar and enjoy! Secure any loose wires and tuck them further behind panels, paying special attention to loose wires by the fusebox (so they do not get caught up with your feet when operating the pedals)

My setup only has a small edge of the dashcam showing from the driver's seat but I can quickly dismount it to review footage.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Front/Rear Dashcam & Hardwire Install on '17 Hatchback 4oEX25S

From the driver's seat the rear dashcam is invisible

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Front/Rear Dashcam & Hardwire Install on '17 Hatchback 8e3tZbW

Bonus dashcam footage from my previous car using the same camera

Last edited:

fightermav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe 1.5T WOP
I'm having trouble getting that knee panel open to get access to the fuse box. Any advice?

Last edited:

10thDave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
One of my biggest concerns is that airbag going off when taking off the cover... is there anything we have to watch for?

fightermav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe 1.5T WOP
One of my biggest concerns is that airbag going off when taking off the cover... is there anything we have to watch for?

Don't be concerned and I wouldn't disconnect the battery it just causes the car to have to recalibrate.

The airbag will not go off I banged it super hard to be sure and the screw is not sketchy at all to take out, I was rubbing up against it the entire time I was pushing the wire behind it and nothing.

You would need to seriously hit it hard to set it off. I wouldn't worry about it too much, just use a flathead to get the plate off and then undo the bolt and work it off making sure to remove the push pin halfway down the panel cover.

d1390

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Excellent guide!

One question though, are the clips that hold the cover on single use only?

Mister B

First Name
Martyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prestige CVT
Country flag
Nice walk through instructions :thumbsup:

Total agree its well worth getting some trim clips before you start. (Brits watch out for the price from Honda dealers !)

Your dead right about getting the cable through the rubber tube to the rear hatchback door, with all that pushing && shoving of a mini usb connector !!!:spaz:
I placed an extra piece of gaffer round the hole to stop the stock cable from rubbing ! ( a little late for one of the cables, but repaired with smidgen of electric tape )

coopermidnight

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't think this guy posts here anymore, but does anyone happen to know the battery implications of having a dashcam running 24/7?

Mister B

First Name
Martyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prestige CVT
Country flag

andysh

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic 1.5 Touring
With the front and rear camera connected to the Fuse, how long will it last before the cars battery dies?

Squonky

First Name
Squonky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Prestige 1.5T, CVT
Country flag
I'm having trouble getting that knee panel open to get access to the fuse box. Any advice?
I just pulled it (carefully) with my bare hands and it popped off the clips. Feels like it's going to break because it's rather bendy and flimsy. Once you've taken it off once, the clips become looser.

Squonky

First Name
Squonky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Prestige 1.5T, CVT
Country flag
With the front and rear camera connected to the Fuse, how long will it last before the cars battery dies?
That's hard to say, without conducting a series of experiments, to see how much charge you could take out of your battery and still be able to start the car. There's also the variables of whether you're starting the car from a cold or warm engine, and what the ambient temperature was. A stone-cold engine at -40° is going to cause the starter motor to draw a lot more instantaneous current (a few hundred amps) than an engine with warm oil that's only just been switched off when it's a summer's day. A partly discharged lead acid battery can't deliver that 'CCA' (Cold Cranking Amps) figure that's written on the cover.

For fun, some rudimentary calculations. The battery in my '17 Civic hatchback is rated 60Ah.

12V x 60Ah = 720Wh

At a guess, your dual-camera setup might draw 2A. 5V x 2A = 10W. Why isn't it 12V x 2A? Because dashcams run off 5V and there's a 12V to 5V converter supplying the camera. It's probably ~90% efficient but I've ignored that.

Now divide the capacity of the battery by the consumed power and you get the number of hours runtime - until the battery is completely discharged. (See note above about not being able to start the car on a partly charged battery).

720Wh / 10W = 72h. That doesn't take into account the fact that most of these 12V-5V converters will shut off when the battery drains to 10V or so. So, you'd probably get a lot less use than that. And you'd still risk not being able to start your car when you get in it.

Going on past experience (leaving sidelights or radio switched on in older cars without warning buzzers and auto lights/radio off), you'd probably get something like 5-10h of camera running before the battery was sufficiently discharged to not start your car when you got up for work the next morning.

One final thought - lead acid batteries DO NOT like to be 'deep cycled' - that's discharging and charging from full to empty and back, multiple times. To avoid the pain of keep finding your car with a dead battery and then keep having to replace your spent battery every few months - you'd do better buying an auxiliary battery system - like MisterB suggested.

e85sbm

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Sorry to revive an old thread

I am trying to do a shortcut on a temporary dashcam install (will be hardwired eventually, but I am waiting for power supply). Can I do the same thing on the passenger side to run the wire to access the cigarette lighter? Would the A-Pillar be removed in the same way?

Wxguru

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring x2
Country flag
Sorry to revive an old thread

I am trying to do a shortcut on a temporary dashcam install (will be hardwired eventually, but I am waiting for power supply). Can I do the same thing on the passenger side to run the wire to access the cigarette lighter? Would the A-Pillar be removed in the same way?
I didn't have to pull the pillar to run the cord. I used a small plastic poker to tuck the wire into the pillar and under the door rubber trim down to the floorboard and under the dash to the center console. It can be tucked up top behind the headliner as well without pulling anything.
Sponsored