DIY Foglight protection / color change

CANMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
So as some of you may know Honda's fog lights have a glass lense, and they are very prone to shattering from rocks and road debris. I have always put protective film over all my Honda fogs, sometimes to change the color, but mostly to protect them from breaking. There are two options for film, one of which is Lamix film which is very thick and offers excellent protection, and the other is transparent vinyl. I have done both, and prefer the transparent vinyl as it's easier to work with, and offers more color options.

I order my film from:http://grfxpstore.com/store/VinylByTheFoot

Originally I was going to do the new NeoChrome, but since our fogs are pretty small on the 10th gen, and down really low, you couldn't really appreciate the color change of the film. So I stuck with transparent orange which I normally do. I like it better then yellow, and it gives a lot of usage light output with OEM bulbs, and is considered "forward facing amber light" by DOT standards so will not get you harassed by the police.

To install you have to remove the entire front bumper, which is a pain in the ass in this car, and certainly would go better with a helper. College Hills Honda has a DIY guide on the forum somewhere on how to remove the front bumper.

Next you need to remove the black shrouds, so you can remove the entire fog light assembly. This pic is of the shroud removed, showing all the clips you have to take down. A trim tool is a great thing to have for this project.
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Foglight protection / color change image_zpsdkw1frmu

Next remove the fogs lights by taking out the 3 screws, and clean the glass lenses extremely well.
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Foglight protection / color change image_zpskeqa5w1o

Now cut a small piece of vinyl slightly larger then the fog light. Use a heat gun to warm it up which makes it pliable, apply it to the center of the fog light, and use your thumb to smooth it out working from the center out. The film is very tough, and you will have to peel it back, smooth, apply heat, peel it back, etc to work out all the bubbles. I did this by myself and have some expierence working with vinyl, however if you don't this is a labor intensive process and takes patience. In hindsight if you have a helper, use one person to apply heat and keep the vinyl pliable, while the other person smooths it out. The vinyl is very stretchy when it is heated, however it looses its flexibility very quickly when heat is removed. So if you can have one person heat, and then you stretch, this project will go much easier then mine. When you're done trim the excess with a razor knife, and seal the corners with the heat gun one more time to make sure the adhesion is good. You're shooting for something like this.
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Foglight protection / color change image_zps0kdpvmza

Remount your bumper, and rock some kick ass looking fogs which you don't have to worry about breaking, and consume a beer for a job well done. They don't have to be perfect! You will not see the very edges of the foglight, and very small bubbles will go away after the films conforms with heat from the bulb. For anyone that is wondering, you can peel this stuff off is you ever want to very easily.
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Foglight protection / color change image_zpsvaas5bq8

Cheers!
CANMAN

goodra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T sedan
Country flag
That looks really good with the color of your car.. A lot of work to apply the film though. Will using a hair dryer work instead of the heat gun?

OP
OP
CANMAN

CANMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
That looks really good with the color of your car.. A lot of work to apply the film though. Will using a hair dryer work instead of the heat gun?
I suppose if it gets hot enough, although I have never tried. Lowes and Home Depot sell heat guns for 22.00 bucks. I have had one for years so never attempted the hair dryer but once you have your bumper off to apply the film might not be the best time to find out you have to run to the store... I would just buy a heat gun.

sunnysunday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic ex-t 2016
Country flag
I really want my fog lights to match the color temperature of my turn signals/sidemarkers.

Would that look strange?

Also, how can I do this?

Currently I use nokya's yellow halogens

OP
OP
CANMAN

CANMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
I really want my fog lights to match the color temperature of my turn signals/sidemarkers.

Would that look strange?

Also, how can I do this?

Currently I use nokya's yellow halogens
Are you saying you want them to be orange like the color of your turn signals? If so then follow the instructions and what I ordered above. Mine are orange....

sunnysunday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic ex-t 2016
Country flag
Yes, ok cool. Any chance you can take a shot of your lights in action?

Are you saying you want them to be orange like the color of your turn signals? If so then follow the instructions and what I ordered above. Mine are orange....

Hansford

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
This is pretty sweet I think I'm gonna do this. I would like to see the lights though.

OP
OP
CANMAN

CANMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
By the way there is a 10 kit for this:

http://grfxpstore.com/store/product/885038049
Yeah I saw that. The pre-cuts weren't available when I did my install. I believe they just came out. Personally I haven't had the best success with precuts for fog lights. A lot of people attempt to put them on with the fog light in the housing because it's "precut and easy" and end up not getting it centered, or not having total coverage. Thus why i just wrap mine. But your success many vary so feel free to give it a try.

I will get some nighttime shots of my car with the fogs on tonight while at work and post them up when it gets dark out.
Cheers

mister_egg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 OWP Civic Si Coupe
So as some of you may know Honda's fog lights have a glass lense, and they are very prone to shattering from rocks and road debris. I have always put protective film over all my Honda fogs, sometimes to change the color, but mostly to protect them from breaking. There are two options for film, one of which is Lamix film which is very thick and offers excellent protection, and the other is transparent vinyl. I have done both, and prefer the transparent vinyl as it's easier to work with, and offers more color options.

I order my film from:http://grfxpstore.com/store/VinylByTheFoot

Originally I was going to do the new NeoChrome, but since our fogs are pretty small on the 10th gen, and down really low, you couldn't really appreciate the color change of the film. So I stuck with transparent orange which I normally do. I like it better then yellow, and it gives a lot of usage light output with OEM bulbs, and is considered "forward facing amber light" by DOT standards so will not get you harassed by the police.

To install you have to remove the entire front bumper, which is a pain in the ass in this car, and certainly would go better with a helper. College Hills Honda has a DIY guide on the forum somewhere on how to remove the front bumper.

Next you need to remove the black shrouds, so you can remove the entire fog light assembly. This pic is of the shroud removed, showing all the clips you have to take down. A trim tool is a great thing to have for this project.
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Foglight protection / color change image_zpsdkw1frmu

Next remove the fogs lights by taking out the 3 screws, and clean the glass lenses extremely well.
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Foglight protection / color change image_zpskeqa5w1o

Now cut a small piece of vinyl slightly larger then the fog light. Use a heat gun to warm it up which makes it pliable, apply it to the center of the fog light, and use your thumb to smooth it out working from the center out. The film is very tough, and you will have to peel it back, smooth, apply heat, peel it back, etc to work out all the bubbles. I did this by myself and have some expierence working with vinyl, however if you don't this is a labor intensive process and takes patience. In hindsight if you have a helper, use one person to apply heat and keep the vinyl pliable, while the other person smooths it out. The vinyl is very stretchy when it is heated, however it looses its flexibility very quickly when heat is removed. So if you can have one person heat, and then you stretch, this project will go much easier then mine. When you're done trim the excess with a razor knife, and seal the corners with the heat gun one more time to make sure the adhesion is good. You're shooting for something like this.
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Foglight protection / color change image_zps0kdpvmza

Remount your bumper, and rock some kick ass looking fogs which you don't have to worry about breaking, and consume a beer for a job well done. They don't have to be perfect! You will not see the very edges of the foglight, and very small bubbles will go away after the films conforms with heat from the bulb. For anyone that is wondering, you can peel this stuff off is you ever want to very easily.
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Foglight protection / color change image_zpsvaas5bq8

Cheers!
CANMAN
Is it possible to just remove the black trim piece where the fog is and apply the film from there? I'm sure it will be easier now that there are pre-cut versions now.

VEZI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport+Sensing CVT (Canada) 2017
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is it possible to just remove the black trim piece where the fog is and apply the film from there? I'm sure it will be easier now that there are pre-cut versions now.
Did mine without removing anything. I just used some plastic tool sharp enough to send the excedent milimeters of film (pre-cut Lamin-X) inside the housing. Between the glass and the black plastic housing, you can push it trough easily if you are patient.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Foglight protection / color change IMG_0758.JPG

AIBO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Did mine without removing anything. I just used some plastic tool sharp enough to send the excedent milimeters of film (pre-cut Lamin-X) inside the housing. Between the glass and the black plastic housing, you can push it trough easily if you are patient.
Did you still have to use a heat gun?

VEZI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Did you still have to use a heat gun?
Nope, just a delicate mist of water on both the glass and the adesive Lamin-X side to help you correct the center position... Using finger gently from center to outside in circle move. Then using a sharp plastic tool to bring the exedent film inside the gloss black housing.

VEZI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Beeing an old graphic designer, I still have this tool ready to use. An old Letraset burnisher... perfect for this work!

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Foglight protection / color change IMG_0768.JPG
Sponsored