DIY - EDM tail lights (with rear fog light)

OP
OP

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
I'm sorry I haven't made more progress on this but I've run into some snags. For one thing - most urgent - is the harness pins which I thought would work out for the switch gear...are not the right pin. They don't fit into the connectors. I have to keep looking.

Another issue- there's no wiring available from Europe just yet so I'm going at it blind.

Final issue - the EDM headlight switch uses all 12 pin positions in the OEM connector. The OEM, USDM switch only uses 9 pins. They are different if you look at them side-by-side. For one, the USDM defaults to the 'OFF' position while the EDM defaults to the 'auto' position. Also, the rear-fog light is a momentary switch rather than a on/off toggle like the front fog lights. That will give me issues even after I locate the connector pins.

At this point, I've browsed through Mouser and WayTek and I've emailed to BMotorsports to see if they can help identify a compatible pin. I didn't find anything and haven't heard back from BMotorsports yet. I chatted with a guy from TE for a while but didn't make progress...
Sponsored

OP
OP

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I suppose the first step will be to just swap the switch in there and see how closely it functions relative to the stock switch.

OP
OP

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Update 06NOV2017

I swapped the stalk switch out. It is a direct replacement - aside from the extra rear fog light toggle, and the change to how the headlights turn on. With the EDM stalk switch, there is no longer an 'off' position...off is just a toggle position. Lights are either "AUTO", "PARK", or "ON." Not 100% sure how I feel about that at this point. I might try and see if I can disassemble the stalk switch and put the two together to get the functions I want. We'll see!

derbo904

Keeper of Blinky lights
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 | 11 E90M3
Country flag
Update 06NOV2017

I swapped the stalk switch out. It is a direct replacement - aside from the extra rear fog light toggle, and the change to how the headlights turn on. With the EDM stalk switch, there is no longer an 'off' position...off is just a toggle position. Lights are either "AUTO", "PARK", or "ON." Not 100% sure how I feel about that at this point. I might try and see if I can disassemble the stalk switch and put the two together to get the functions I want. We'll see!
does it still work?

OP
OP

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
does it still work?
Yeah it works perfectly. It has a more 'luxurious' feel now since the lights are always in AUTO mode, so they come on when I start the car and stay on for like 30 seconds after I shut it off. Fog lights still work normally with indicator on dash. I doubt I'll be able to get the indicator to work for the rear fog light though... I suspect that's a CAN thing.

derbo904

Keeper of Blinky lights
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 | 11 E90M3
Country flag
Yeah it works perfectly. It has a more 'luxurious' feel now since the lights are always in AUTO mode, so they come on when I start the car and stay on for like 30 seconds after I shut it off. Fog lights still work normally with indicator on dash. I doubt I'll be able to get the indicator to work for the rear fog light though... I suspect that's a CAN thing.
I have honda sensing so I already have Auto headlights. I love it. :)

OP
OP

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
How do you remove that bottom plastic trim covering the wiper/turn signal stalks under the steering wheel? Are there a lot of clips and just 1 screw that hold it in place? Any tips/picture on removing it?

http://www.civicx.com/attachments/f2fae09f-eca8-4c58-bd87-c5dd79a65ae8-jpeg.72678/

That piece is what I'm referring to.
You have to unclip the top cover first. If you turn the steering wheel like 20° left, there's a little indentation in the plastic. Put a thin flat head screw driver in there and gently pop it up. Do it on the right side also. Once you get that cover up and away, you'll see 2 philips head screws.
The top cover won't come the whole way out because it has some fabric thing that ties it in to the gauge cluster. No worries though as it isn't really in the way once you can get it loose.

civicdota

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Sedan
Country flag
You have to unclip the top cover first. If you turn the steering wheel like 20° left, there's a little indentation in the plastic. Put a thin flat head screw driver in there and gently pop it up. Do it on the right side also. Once you get that cover up and away, you'll see 2 philips head screws.
The top cover won't come the whole way out because it has some fabric thing that ties it in to the gauge cluster. No worries though as it isn't really in the way once you can get it loose.
Cool thanks, will attempt to fix a rattle that happens sometimes when using the turn signal...

OP
OP

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY - EDM tail lights (with rear fog light) upload_2017-11-17_10-38-18

This is the combination switch for lighting connector pinout. According to the wiring diagrams, these wires go directly from this switch to a BCM located in the dash. That definitely adds a level of complication to this process!

Take a look at this, combined with the image above... it turns out #2, #3, and #4 are all empty in my factory harness. Odd to me that #5 is just omitted from the listing... they took the time to put #3 and #4 and indicate they're 'not used' but couldn't include #5.

I got pins from a scrap connector I bought off ebay. I inserted the pin/leads into this connector and began testing with my test light. I grounded my test light and touched a hot fuse to make sure it lights up. Turns out, everything going on with this switch is GROUND, meaning I need to connect the 'Ground Clamp' of my test light to the + side of a battery and then resume testing.

I could run the lead from the switch to the BCM but...I don't yet know if there are different BCM's for different regions (I assume there are) and, even if different, will this one happen to run my rear fog. In any case, I think I need to plan to just hardwire that bad-boy. Only issue is -- the switch for the rear fog is momentary, meaning I really need a relay that latches on a one-shot. I wonder how much more stuff I can get off Amazon before BigBrother starts to watch-

Last edited:

OP
OP

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
OP
OP

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY - EDM tail lights (with rear fog light) upload_2017-11-21_11-44-12

I'm going to need this... thanks to the guys at www.the12volt.com for some great resources!

edit -
I need to upgrade the situation to this-
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY - EDM tail lights (with rear fog light) upload_2019-8-26_12-33-53

OR get a microcontroller involved. 5 relays seems overkill to just be able to turn a simple bulb on and off with a momentary switch... I'm going to look and see if there are some other options or maybe just smaller relays.

Last edited:
OP
OP

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
01FEB2018 update

I've wired up the relay arrangement. I'll have a little time this evening - I want to try to run the wire from the dash to the tail light section - we'll see how it goes. I'll try to get some pics of course!

derbo904

Keeper of Blinky lights
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 | 11 E90M3
Country flag
Any updates ? :)

01FEB2018 update

I've wired up the relay arrangement. I'll have a little time this evening - I want to try to run the wire from the dash to the tail light section - we'll see how it goes. I'll try to get some pics of course!
Sponsored