DIY - EDM Power Fold mirrors, 56K-NO!

sLing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Anyone know where to purchase just the motor? The HRS kit had install motor died and it's no longer in stock.
Sponsored

vtecr

First Name
FK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7 GT-Spec Daily, EP3 Type-R, EP1 Project, EU7 Beater (+ others I care less about...)
Country flag
I wonder if the folding mirrors are wired differently from the factory than retrofitting. For the retrofit, it's only two wires running from each mirror to the mirror switch. Do those wires split off somewhere in the door harness to the window switch from the models that come with it from the factory? Something of that possibility could be if the harness I received from AliExpress only connects to that window switch connector.
I'm not sure but I can investigate when I get a little free time.
My gut feeling is that they would keep the harness as universal as possible and it'l likely be the same in mine as it is in yours.

vtecr

First Name
FK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7 GT-Spec Daily, EP3 Type-R, EP1 Project, EU7 Beater (+ others I care less about...)
Country flag
I have to admit I have the HRS Power Fold set, but it stopped working. I hear a clicking sound coming from the power folding module when I press the folding button on the door.

Sadly they worked for a few weeks and then died. I have no idea why and neither did HRS. I can push the mirrors in, but it’s like they don’t get any signals from the button.
That sounds like a relay has gone bad or something to that effect. That's at least where I'd start my investigations.

98-0425

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Type-R #12307, 98 Integra Type-R #0425, 07 Pilot EX-L, 17 Pilot Elite
Country flag
That sounds like a relay has gone bad or something to that effect. That's at least where I'd start my investigations.
And the relay is in the switch. So I would buy a new switch.

sventhecivic

First Name
Gaetano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EXT
Country flag
Anyone know where to purchase just the motor? The HRS kit had install motor died and it's no longer in stock.

Wait, you have the HRS kit too and the motors died? I feel like something is off with this kit. Hopefully a new switch does the trick.

sLing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Wait, you have the HRS kit too and the motors died? I feel like something is off with this kit. Hopefully a new switch does the trick.
Yup. I think they discontinued it due to the number of warranty replacements. Not sure if it's the actually switch that is making it fail or if the motor is just dying due to the cycles.

98-0425

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The funny thing is, what is the probability that both motors die at the same time. There has to be a common denominator and that's the switch/relay.

vtecr

First Name
FK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'd test the motors directly to see if they're still working. It's very unlikely both have failed at the same time.

98-0425

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I just received this kit. Looks better. It has input from the mirror switch. Will try to get around to install today or tomorrow.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY - EDM Power Fold mirrors, 56K-NO! 20220824_123951

98-0425

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I just received this kit. Looks better. It has input from the mirror switch. Will try to get around to install today or tomorrow.

20220824_123951.jpg
This kit doesn't work either. There must be something different in the door harness for those mirrors wired from the factory vs retrofit.

vtecr

First Name
FK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This kit doesn't work either. There must be something different in the door harness for those mirrors wired from the factory vs retrofit.
Can you share the instructions here and maybe some detailed pics of the harness and how it works?

We may be able to figure out how exactly this is supposed to trigger the folding and either fix these, or even make our own microcontroller instead.

I haven't had time to delve into my mirrors yet, but I'm hoping to have some free time on the weekend.

98-0425

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Can you share the instructions here and maybe some detailed pics of the harness and how it works?

We may be able to figure out how exactly this is supposed to trigger the folding and either fix these, or even make our own microcontroller instead.

I haven't had time to delve into my mirrors yet, but I'm hoping to have some free time on the weekend.
The harness is similar to the Hi Rev Sports harness. See page 15

The only difference is my harness does not have a single wire running to the fuse box. In the instructions above, that wire is running to the door lock fuse. The harness I bought is supposed to be plug and play, and it is for overseas market Civics. I have seen "installation" videos on YouTube, and all shows it plug and play.

I assume the module gets power from the fuse box with door lock activation. Maybe the US models do not have that in the door harness for whatever reason.

There is a wire missing from the door lock connector that's located on the top left of the door (#2 connector on page 16). The folding module harness plugs into that. My factory harness has a wire emitted from a pin from the module harness. Not sure if that is why it isn't working.

This is the diagram for the folding module I bought. Maybe I should just tap for the 12v, I assumed from the PNP kit that it takes that from the door harness somewhere.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY - EDM Power Fold mirrors, 56K-NO! SM08_3
Sponsored

Last edited: