macross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic SI
Country flag
Hi all,

A few question for the 10th gen SI.

1) When disabling VSA (press and hold the VSA button), does it turn off LSD and ABS as well?
2) What is the best way to disable ABS?

thank you.
Sponsored

5inn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Type R
Country flag
It's not possible to disable the LSD. If it was an electronic torque vectoring style system seen on the Ford ST cars, in theory it could be disabled but our cars have a mechanical torsen LSD.

I don't know for sure but I would bet money on the fact that pushing and holding the VSA button does not disable ABS.

Why do you want to disable it?

Doc_C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
You can't turn off a helical limited-slip differential and VSA doesn't affect ABS... I'm curious as why you'd want to turn off ABS...

OP
OP

macrossranma

First Name
macross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic SI
Country flag
to clarify, i do not want to disable LSD, but i want to disable the VSA and ABS. Ive been autocrossing older civics and Mazda 3 and always have the traction control and ABS disabled, never own a car with LSD but believe LSD should help and do not want to turn it off.

Doc_C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
to clarify, i do not want to disable LSD, but i want to disable the VSA and ABS. Ive been autocrossing older civics and Mazda 3 and always have the traction control and ABS disabled, never own a car with LSD but believe LSD should help and do not want to turn it off.
Gotcha, I believe the button you're referring to only disables traction control and will not disable VSA or ABS. There was another thread about either Honda or Ktuner having an auto off upon start up that went through what it actually does.

jpuhl777

First Name
Jp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe (WOP)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had the understanding you can't "fully" disable traction control, but only lessen its engagement on these new civics.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
As has been stated, the helical limited-slip differential is purely mechanical and can't be "switched off".

"Turning VSA off" by holding the VSA button and illuminating the "VSA OFF" indicator allows more wheel spin to make it easier to rock the vehicle if you get stuck. It does NOT disable the vehicle stability assist or anti-lock braking system functions.

Turning SPORT mode on alters the vehicle stability assist function to allow for more yaw (aka, "fun at the track"), but will still attempt to keep the driver from losing complete control.

There is a complex, inconvenient test mode that will completely disable traction control and stability assist. The instructions can be found by searching this forum.

FK7_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan, 2015 Acura MDX Elite
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Get Hondata and disable the VSA when you are at the track then flash it back after the track for the ride home :thumbsup:

ClemsonPatriot

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here is how to do it:

1. Turn car on
2. Parking brake off
3. Press and hold brake pedal
4. Turn traction control on and off
5. Parking brake on
6. Release brake pedal
7. Turn traction control on and off
8. Press and hold brake pedal
9. Turn traction control on and off

The VSA light will light up and another similar but with the letters "OFF" will be blinking.

BE SAFE BUT ENJOY!

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
FlashPro can disable the VSA completely if you want it turn off every time you start the car.

You can probably just pull the ABS fuse to disable abs.

jeb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 LX Hatch 6MT, 15 Forester Limited w/tech
Country flag
Here is how to do it:

1. Turn car on
2. Parking brake off
5. Parking brake on
6. Release brake pedal

The VSA light will light up and another similar but with the letters "OFF" will be blinking.

BE SAFE BUT ENJOY!
Would this work on all civics or is it the Si only? It’s cold out and I don’t want go outside and start my car and bring it up to temp... blah blah... :)

I’ll never really need to do this, I’m just purely curious. If no one knows I’ll gladly try it on mine.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Would this work on all civics or is it the Si only? It’s cold out and I don’t want go outside and start my car and bring it up to temp... blah blah... :)

I’ll never really need to do this, I’m just purely curious. If no one knows I’ll gladly try it on mine.
This seems to work on most Honda/Acura models made in the last several years. It worked on my '16 CR-V, '17 Ridgeline, and '17 Civic Si.

jeb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 LX Hatch 6MT, 15 Forester Limited w/tech
Country flag
This seems to work on most Honda/Acura models made in the last several years. It worked on my '16 CR-V, '17 Ridgeline, and '17 Civic Si.
Get out! I didn't know that. Must have been the '16 and up models that were getting that new VSA system where it just "dumbs down" the TCS and leaves stability active. My '15 Accord was all on or all off, had many attempt to test that. Will test on my hatch, will report back.

EDIT: WORKS! The VSA off light flashes superfast, that's hilarious. Like, WHAT ARE YOU DOING YOU CRAZY SOB.

Last edited:

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Get out! I didn't know that. Must have been the '16 and up models that were getting that new VSA system where it just "dumbs down" the TCS and leaves stability active. My '15 Accord was all on or all off, had many attempt to test that. Will test on my hatch, will report back.

EDIT: WORKS! The gas off light flashes superfast, that's hilarious. Like, WHAT ARE YOU DOING YOU CRAZY SOB.
I once pulled the VTM-4 fuse out of a 2014 Ridgeline so it operated in FWD only. It was very easy to spin the front wheels (actually, just one of them due to the open differential) without AWD. Turning "VSA off" would completely disable stability assist (fun in the snow), but would only raise the traction control threshold instead of turning it off completely. It would still cut engine power before you got to rubber-melting levels of tire spin.

Reactions: jeb

Faduzer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Here is how to do it:

1. Turn car on
2. Parking brake off
5. Parking brake on
6. Release brake pedal

BE SAFE BUT ENJOY!

Is this meant to actually say "turn off then on" cause it will default in the on position when you start the car correct? I apologize I'm just confused on the button sequence?
Sponsored