Dirty/Black exhaust tip?

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
I've had my Si for about 3 months now. Bought it new and I've got a little over 7,000 miles on it so far and my exhaust tip is always horribly dirty.

Is this normal? Most of my driving is highway miles and I only ever use Exxon premium 93 octane.
Sponsored

blackie X

First Name
tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
yeah its normal, you should either get some cleaner for the chrome part of the exhaust. or just wait and upgrade to an exhaust with a black tip so you wont see it anymore

Deleted member

Mine gets dirty fairly easily so I usually give it a once over with a cleaning cloth once I am done detailing the rest of the car typically once a week.

Swank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe Black
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
When I picked mine up with next to no mileage on it that was already dirty, I could tell right away that trying to keep that clean would be a losing battle. The dealership should have at least tried to give it to me clean.

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
Higher mileage would do that to the exhaust tip. Try washing and wiping it down at every car was session, that should help. I wash mine at every car wash and the tip is shiny new 6 months in

OP
OP
REBELXSi

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for the replies. It's just really dirty haha, I was worried it might be indicative of an engine issue.

Also, I've tried cleaning it with just soap during car washes but it doesn't come clean. Guess I'll need to get something specifically for that

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
I noticed my tip start getting black soot, but with my ocd I started cleaning at every wash session and sometimes in between I’d give it a fast wipe with whatever I have handy. Anyway, get it as clean and shiny as possible outside and in and don’t allow soot to stay long. Additional dirt won’t accumulate if it doesn’t have anything to stick to. It’s a small area to clean, and very easy to maintain when you get it clean to start with

Last edited:

OP
OP
REBELXSi

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
just the tip, OP?
I'm sure it's more than just the tip :p

Here it is after being cleaned with some orange cleaner stuff I found in the garage lol

Honda Civic 10th gen Dirty/Black exhaust tip? 20180927_123524

GypsyR19

First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS, '18 6M-Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
I have not seen any modern vehicle that doesn't have black on the exhaust tips. Have a separate microfiber sponge that we only use to clean the exhaust tips each wash time

aldo

Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I posted the same question here about 6 months ago, on the recommend of someone here I got the stuff Nevr Dull metal polish at Walmart, its like cotton in a metal can, I wiped it on let it dry and wiped it off, the black soot on the exhaust hasn’t come back.
Sponsored