Dilemma I can't Resolve - Please help

O Haiii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
acura
Country flag
I'm looking for a fun car. I have a Prius Prime as my daily and love the thing to death. Just sold my 2018 BMW M2, and this new car will be replacing the M2.

I am torn between the 2020 Civic Type R and the 2020 Miata Club. These two cars I think are the pinnacle of automotive driving for anything under supercar pricing and they both have their pros and cons. Can you guys help out and try to be unbiased as much as possible?

CTR Pros:
-Amazing power, especially with simple mods and a tune
-Amazing handling and driving dynamics, throttle response (esp for a turbo)
-Adaptive suspension
-Looks

CTR Cons:
-FWD
-Looks
-Some people have transmission issues

Miata Pros:
-Dying breed (lightweight, rwd, manual, high revving NA engine)
-Convertible
-Driving dynamic
-Cheap in price

Miata Cons:
-Not enough power and not much potential (esp w this transmission)

Thanks for your feedback! I know i'm asking a CTR forum but still want to hear from actual owners.
Sponsored

_leslietu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 S14 & '19 CW CTR
Country flag
Why did you get rid of the M2 if you don't mind me asking?

OP
OP

O Haiii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
acura
Country flag
Why did you get rid of the M2 if you don't mind me asking?
I would not have gotten rid of it had I got the M2 Competition. However, I got the M2 because it was November of 2018 and the M2 Comp was already on sale, so they offered me 10k off msrp on the M2. I thought the comp model cannot possibly be 13k better of a car (after taxes) than the M2, so I went ahead and bought the M2. Boy was I wrong. M2 has pretty much the same engine and identical turbo from the M235i, just with a more aggressive tune. It is completely maxed out from the factory. It's a 3500 lb car that loves to get heat soaked and dynos 330 to the wheels. Spending 5k on FBO will get you to 380 whp on the most perfect day on 91 octane. Any less than ideal, you've spent $5k to get some nice mid range torque. The M2 is not a real M car. It is well balanced but that's about it. In fact, driving both the CTR and the miata was a far better experience than driving my M2, despite less power and it being much cheaper.

FifStreet

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 PMM Civic Type R '07 MR Fit Sport (RIP)
Country flag
If you are buying new, I think you can cut the transmission cons from both lists. Nobody likes a car with problems, but I think these are minor and a warranty will cover it.

The FWD con may not be as big of a deal as you think it is. I know its impossible to get a test drive, but Its pretty unanimous by reviewers and owners that the FWD aspect of the CTR is well hidden.

Since you mentioned tuning as a pro for the CTR it might be important to point out that finding performance parts and accessories might be easier for the Miata. It has sold many more units and the history of performance parts support is a lot longer.

ems657

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Subaru STi, 2012 Infiniti G37 (sold)
Country flag
To OP,

You're absolutely right that, CTR and Miata are 2 of the best driver's car on the market (and decently affordable). I have the same dilemma, and my solution is to get both :) Well, my wife doesn't like the idea of buying a 3rd car, so I just have the CTR for now.

Sounds like this will be your 2nd car in addition to the Prius. If you don't need the cargo space and don't have long winter, then go for Miata. Right now you can find new (leftover) 2019 for dirt cheap. It still has the new 181-hp engine. Club is the best trim and do not get the brembo package (waste of money).

In my situation, with 2 kids and carseats, my daily driver must have backseats. Good luck and please keep us posted !!

Michael

eXstasy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR
Country flag
I went through a similar dilemma. I wanted to daily drive my "fun car" so I picked the CTR. It has the ability to be dual-natured. I can putt around town if I want to or I can drive it straight up to the hills and have a blast with it.

I considered the Miata/BRZ as well but I was coming from much more powerful vehicles, and downgrading too much in that aspect would have bothered me on the street, though I would have enjoyed them more on the track.

I've also had an S2000 in the past, and its one of my favorite cars, the only car that I've ever owned 2 of. The Miata would have been more of the same for me, and I wanted to try something different and a bit more practical as I've lived convertible life before.

Being a fan of Hondas, I also felt like at least once in my life, I had to get my hands on some of the Type R heritage, and thus far it has not disappointed :) The Miata will always be there. Props to Mazda for continuing to develop the car. I'm shocked that the ND lost weight and seems to be a better all around car than the NC.

It sounds like you care about the power, so between the two options, the CTR would likely fit the bill better. I will say though, after having not owned a FWD car for a long time, I do notice a difference. It handles like it is not a FWD car, but the steering isn't as pure when I'm on the throttle. I'm probably giving it too much in 1st/2nd gear turns, but in the past with RWD it obviously was not an issue.

samji

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 1996 Accord V6 EX-L
Country flag
You have to also know that you're traction limited with the Type R. Even stock, I can't get traction in second gear, and when its wet, you pretty much can't drive in your power band. You can do FBO/Tune with this car sure, but you may run into torque steer issues as well as traction without wide enough rubber. Additionally, you'll run into heatsoak issues on this car as well if you're planning to drive your car in hot weather or on the track like the M2.

This car, from factory, is definitely not made to be making big numbers for drag racing. I think that's the biggest misconception people have. If you never had a car that was above 250hp then the CTR will feel fast. The power delivery on this car is very linear and smooth which gives you the notion that it's not as fast. There's a little bit of lag at first but once you're in boost, as long as you stay within the power band, you'll always have smooth power on tap. For a car that was engineered to handle, it's exactly what you'd want out of an engine.

Everyone's entitled to do whatever they want with their car but personally, I chose the CTR because I wont need to do much to it to make it handle the way it does from factory. More power would be nice, but I think there are other cars that can do that a lot better for less money. And really, the only times I feel like the CTR needs more power is when I'm on the highway alone cruising lol. Spirited driving wise, I feel like any more power and I'll feel overwhelmed.

On a side note, the car I would buy if you wanted to make globs of power with the least amount of mods, is probably the golf R. That EA888 makes crazy power from a downpipe and a tune. Plus, you wont be traction limited since it's AWD. My girlfriend drives one and honestly, if i lived anywhere else other than Cali, I would have the golf R. Though, the same way the Golf R makes easy power, it pales in comparison in the handling division compared to the CTR. The car pushes a lot more and the front tires get lit up easily and its exhausting to drive fast for long periods of time. I thought it was the weight at first but I can't imagine a couple hundred pounds would make that big of a difference. The Golf R is either understeering, or oversteering, nothing in between ...

6starwars

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR, 2017 Tacoma
Country flag
I own a 2018 CTR, but shopped the MX-5. As others have said, they are both fantastic cars. I couldn’t pull the trigger on the Mazda because I have a wife and son and made that mistake once. That may not be your issue, of course. Agree with the previous comment about the power difference. Once you get to 3rd, the R really comes to life.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Dilemma I can't Resolve - Please help 9E7267DE-7B85-4861-8461-CC254A132D0F
Honda Civic 10th gen Dilemma I can't Resolve - Please help C2A9C37A-1269-446E-B198-F8C4C3D79A19

I personally think the Type R looks fantastic. Never gets old. Especially on 18’s. Here’s some pics to entice you ;)

That it’s also a hatchback with lots of storage space when needed and seats (4) is an added bonus.

I'm looking for a fun car.

CTR Pros:
-Looks

CTR Cons:
-Looks

BryanCO

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR, 2007 GT3, 1993 Miata
Country flag
Since it’s a second car, buy a Porsche.

If it’s between the CTR and Miata, pick the one that gives you the biggest smile when driving it.

barbapapa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R Championship White
Country flag
I'm looking for a fun car. I have a Prius Prime as my daily and love the thing to death. Just sold my 2018 BMW M2, and this new car will be replacing the M2.

I am torn between the 2020 Civic Type R and the 2020 Miata Club. These two cars I think are the pinnacle of automotive driving for anything under supercar pricing and they both have their pros and cons. Can you guys help out and try to be unbiased as much as possible?

CTR Pros:
-Amazing power, especially with simple mods and a tune
-Amazing handling and driving dynamics, throttle response (esp for a turbo)
-Adaptive suspension
-Looks

CTR Cons:
-FWD
-Looks

Miata Pros:
-Dying breed (lightweight, rwd, manual, high revving NA engine)
-Convertible
-Driving dynamic
-Cheap in price

Miata Cons:
-Not enough power and not much potential (esp w this transmission)

Thanks for your feedback! I know i'm asking a CTR forum but still want to hear from actual owners.
I did the same exact thing, traded in my M2 for Civic Type R, for similar but not totally the same reasons.

I like the Type R a lot more than my M2. M2 gas mileage was an atrocious 16.5 mpg, the ride was also much much harsher than CTR. Also 4 doors and much more storage space. My M2 also depreciated an ungodly amount which I don't see happening as badly with the Type R.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ideally, own both. If you've to choose one, look at your family situation and get the more practical car if you've to haul stuff/people around. Otherwise, get the less practical car.

If you track/autocross, expect to dump $5k into the CTR to mitigate the heat-soak issue. And you can't use all its 305 hp safely on public streets. But it's a more practical daily driver that's a beast after 3000 rpm, not a very good drag car from a dig. It's a "funner" car to drive on the track.

OTOH, since you already have a practical car (Prius), it's perfectly fine to get a second car that's less practical. The Miata is a fantastic driver's car that can be revved to red line on public streets while staying under speed limits. "Drive a slow car fast" mantra comes to mind. You can also track the car and have lots of fun without any mods. The transmission has gone thru at least 5 revisions, so anything after 2018 should be fine. And, most importantly, Mazda encourages racing/tracking the Miata and will warrant any mechanical issues even under those circumstances.

Night Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Type R
Country flag
I would not have gotten rid of it had I got the M2 Competition. However, I got the M2 because it was November of 2018 and the M2 Comp was already on sale, so they offered me 10k off msrp on the M2. I thought the comp model cannot possibly be 13k better of a car (after taxes) than the M2, so I went ahead and bought the M2. Boy was I wrong. M2 has pretty much the same engine and identical turbo from the M235i, just with a more aggressive tune. It is completely maxed out from the factory. It's a 3500 lb car that loves to get heat soaked and dynos 330 to the wheels. Spending 5k on FBO will get you to 380 whp on the most perfect day on 91 octane. Any less than ideal, you've spent $5k to get some nice mid range torque. The M2 is not a real M car. It is well balanced but that's about it. In fact, driving both the CTR and the miata was a far better experience than driving my M2, despite less power and it being much cheaper.
That's crazy, you are the second owner I hear saying the same about the regular M2! - In order words, unless turbo upgrade that car is not worth it.
Ok, Back to the Type R: Do you race, auto X, track? Are you a momentum driver, get the Miata! if not, the Type R for many reasons is a no brainer. Just keep in mind that your car might not be perfect, when pushed to hard at the track - some cooling mods might need, but overall, the Type R, still a super nice weekend car & the tuning world supports it.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
You're in luck - I own an M2 (2017 Performance Edition 1/150) and I own a Type R - Get the Type R - it's amazing / different / but just as fun as the M2 - trust me.

M2 to me = perfect German interpretation of a perfectly balanced Mustang
Type R = Surgical machine made to carve corners, but also just fun bumping around being practical

You won't regret the Type R - seriously.

Go drive a used one - really drive it - then go drive a Miata - then post up pictures of your new Type R - Welcome to the club!

Honda Civic 10th gen Dilemma I can't Resolve - Please help owvdk7r-

Last edited:

CivilciviC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I used to own a 2007 Miata GT with the power retractable hardtop that had somewhere in the range of 20k CDN invested in it (by the original owner, a coworker of mine). It was built to be track driven while still being entirely stock on the interior and paired with a clean exterior. Cosworth supercharger, forged wheels, modded brakes, modded suspension, countless chassis braces, additional cooling mods, full exhaust front to back, etc.

It was a cool car. It was a fun car. It weighed 2700 pounds and put down 265 hp to the wheels.

But it was no Civic Type R. Not even close.
Sponsored

Last edited: