Vincentbrown65

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
We have all heard that Seattle is a little rainy, so... CAI or SRI? Since our options are fairly limited for the time being (PRL CAI, K&N SRI, or Injen CAI/SRI), it really boils down to what is right for Pacific Northwest climate. If I had a choice, I would go with a PRL CAI in a heartbeat (especially with the current price), but do I risk potential rain relate issues?

BTW, new 2018 Civic Si owner... and new to the forum too
Honda Civic 10th gen Dilemma: CAI or SRI for Seattle??? 20171120_042619
Sponsored

Last edited:

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Nice looking car. Perhaps the CAI with a hydro shield of some sort? Unless you are just looking for noise I do not see a SRI doing anything helpful. CAI gains are minimal for what it's worth but I would not mind having a PRL Cobra setup.

OP
OP
Vincentbrown65

Vincentbrown65

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Nice looking car. Perhaps the CAI with a hydro shield of some sort? Unless you are just looking for noise I do not see a SRI doing anything helpful. CAI gains are minimal for what it's worth but I would not mind having a PRL Cobra setup.
Yes, it's more for noise than anything, though, the extra power would be nice.

Is a hydro shield even a real thing?

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
If you are getting a tune, I suspect you'll notice very little difference between an SRI and CAI. Maybe 2-4 HP max, except following an idle condition where SRI's suffer much more from heatsoak. IMHO, the FMIC seems to do a decent job keeping BATs manageable for stock-ish power levels.

There is a bit of discrepancy over power claims on intakes. But in my experience, on turbo platforms, they add around 4-5% on stock tunes; and much less over custom tunes where parameters have already been optimized. YMMV.

Last edited:

Greencobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic Si 2016 Mazda CX-9
Cold air or stock. The stock air box is efficient. Just change the filter. Unless you want to pay for sound with sucks for you because of the amount of rain you get. The location where the filter goes won't get wet in normal circumstances, but standing water and it's done. Keep your stock box and don't waste your money. It's more sound gain than power. You will be going backwards with a Sri once the hot humid summer and spring hits.

Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf R, 2003 Wrangler TJ
Country flag
I went with the full Injen CAI on mine. More power? Perhaps, but not enough that I'm going "zOMG!! CAN YOU FEEL THAT?!??!??!" It sounds sweet, that's for sure. Point being, I have zero concerns about where the intake is; it's shielded enough that driving even in a heavy rainstorm should not be an issue. I'm not going to drive this car into standing water anyway, not with how low to ground it is, so I'm not really worried about it.

Schmullis

First Name
Schmullis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
We have all heard that Seattle is a little rainy, so... CAI or SRI? Since our options are fairly limited for the time being (PRL CAI, K&N SRI, or Injen CAI/SRI), it really boils down to what is right for Pacific Northwest climate. If I had a choice, I would go with a PRL CAI in a heartbeat (especially with the current price), but do I risk potential rain relate issues?

BTW, new 2018 Civic Si owner... and new to the forum too
20171120_042619.jpg
New comment to an old post - You're best to stay with the factory airbox, BUT, replace the factory air filter with a (dry) Magnum Flow aFe Power 31-10267 filter. A little pricy at $72.80 on Amazon, but, it's a lifetime filter - just wash it out occasionally and let it air dry (no oiling like a K&N).

OP
OP
Vincentbrown65

Vincentbrown65

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
New comment to an old post - You're best to stay with the factory airbox, BUT, replace the factory air filter with a (dry) Magnum Flow aFe Power 31-10267 filter. A little pricy at $72.80 on Amazon, but, it's a lifetime filter - just wash it out occasionally and let it air dry (no oiling like a K&N).
I ended up going with the CAI. It seems pretty protected, but I also used a hydroshield. As an added layer of protection, I watch where I drive:bs:

Reuuk

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, '83 Datsun 280ZX
I am in the same boat really. I am going with a CAI and am just going to be careful where I drive. I've had a civic for over 10 years now and I cannot think of any point where I have driven this car into a large amount of standing water.

R4y30n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
How low is the 27Won intake in the fender well? Just eyeballing it, it seems to pull from higher up than, say, the PRL.

Reuuk

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, '83 Datsun 280ZX
How low is the 27Won intake in the fender well? Just eyeballing it, it seems to pull from higher up than, say, the PRL.
The 27won is designed with this issue in mind. If you're someone who has serious concerns about a CAI and water, the 27won is the way to go.

OP
OP
Vincentbrown65

Vincentbrown65

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
The 27won is designed with this issue in mind. If you're someone who has serious concerns about a CAI and water, the 27won is the way to go.
I tend to agree, though, the PRL CAI sounds magnificent! I wonder if 27won sounds as good. @Vincent@27WON Does your hybrid CAI have the same "swooooosh" sound as other CAIs?

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
Elite Sponsor
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
18 SI, 18 CTR, 22 Si, 23 Integra
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I tend to agree, though, the PRL CAI sounds magnificent! I wonder if 27won sounds as good. @Vincent@27WON Does your hybrid CAI have the same "swooooosh" sound as other CAIs?
It is certainly louder than the OEM and makes some nice noises for those who are after it. However I will say it is a quieter than a traditional CAI with an open filter in the fender well. Our does look awesome under the hood though. ;)

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Definitely do not buy the cai if you live in seattle. Even if there is a small chance of dealing with hydrolock, it definitely rains there enough to make it a higher probability. I was very close to hydrolocking the engine in my Civic many years ago (2001).

It was a bad storm and i drove through a flooded street that didnt appear to be that deep. It was evening, and when driving through the water my engine turned off. Luckily i was smart enough to not attempt to turn it back. I had to get the car pushed out of the water, and towed home. After taking off the cai and putting the stock box back on it started right up.

Get the sri with an enclosure. Like the one that takeda offers.

OP
OP
Vincentbrown65

Vincentbrown65

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Definitely do not buy the cai if you live in seattle. Even if there is a small chance of dealing with hydrolock, it definitely rains there enough to make it a higher probability. I was very close to hydrolocking the engine in my Civic many years ago (2001).

It was a bad storm and i drove through a flooded street that didnt appear to be that deep. It was evening, and when driving through the water my engine turned off. Luckily i was smart enough to not attempt to turn it back. I had to get the car pushed out of the water, and towed home. After taking off the cai and putting the stock box back on it started right up.

Get the sri with an enclosure. Like the one that takeda offers.
27won is a good option too. It wasn't available when I created this thread.
Sponsored