Differences in Center Console.....

Edumuc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
I'm in Canada and I bought an LX civic last week (which I love), but when I watch the following video, there are a couple of things that are notably absent in my car.

1. the sliding key/coin tray
2. the little removable spill mat that has the f1 car/motorbike/other stuff on the bottom of it

Is this a US vs Canada thing? or a LX vs EX and up thing? Or should I go back to my dealer and ask them to find out where mine ended up?

Thanks!
Sponsored

dsantos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai
I'm in Canada and I bought an LX civic last week (which I love), but when I watch the following video, there are a couple of things that are notably absent in my car.

1. the sliding key/coin tray
2. the little removable spill mat that has the f1 car/motorbike/other stuff on the bottom of it

Is this a US vs Canada thing? or a LX vs EX and up thing? Or should I go back to my dealer and ask them to find out where mine ended up?

Thanks!

I have the Civic Touring Trim in Canada and mine did include the sliding coin tray and also the spill mat with the design on the bottom so it might be a think only available on higher trims in Canada. I don't see why it would be only available on higher trims as it is not exactly a major perk so I would go ask your dealer as it might have been removed before you got it .

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
No, it wasn't 'removed' lol. Think about it. LX is the volume player. That mat and coin tray cost $20 total probably. $20 x 100,000 cars sold in the US and Canada = $2,000,000 saved. You buy the lowest model, they'll cost cut eventually for a $20,000 car.

OP
OP

Edumuc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
I'm not surprised, was just wondering.
I am surprised you think that Honda would save $2,000,000 on excluding the coin tray and console spill mat on the LX model...

Thanks for the help, I'll go back to my dealer and try and rangle a coin tray out of them.

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Oh don't you worry, the cost cutting doesn't stop there. You're going to realize that the materials used on the rear door are completely inconsistent and cheaper than what they use on the front. No lights in the vanity mirrors compared to EX and up. The lower spoke of the steering wheel, airvents, parking brake tab doesn't have silver trim on it compared to the EX and higher models. Vinyl on the shift boot looks cheap compared to the leather on the EX. They remind you that you drive the base model so you have an incentive to move up.

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh don't you worry, the cost cutting doesn't stop there. You're going to realize that the materials used on the rear door are completely inconsistent and cheaper than what they use on the front. No lights in the vanity mirrors compared to EX and up. The lower spoke of the steering wheel, airvents, parking brake tab doesn't have silver trim on it compared to the EX and higher models. Vinyl on the shift boot looks cheap compared to the leather on the EX. They remind you that you drive the base model so you have an incentive to move up.
Dang man, you make it sound like your an LX hater. Are we lowly people who drive the base model beneath you? :D

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Dang man, you make it sound like your an LX hater. Are we lowly people who drive the base model beneath you? :D
Nahh, I'm just acknowledging the facts in a rather crude way, but it's not like I'm wrong. I can totally understand the place in the market the LX has. Inexpensive, reliable transportation. NA engine for it's simplicity. Manual for someone who wants to have a little fun or wants to save a grand at purchase. CVT for the mass market. 5 inch screen for someone who wants the radio but doesn't trust the display audio with integrated HVAC. I bet you some of the systems on the LX will last a lot longer than on the Touring. Obviously the trim, and things like that wouldn't matter to someone who bought a base model.

A lot of people however question small fit and finish details like the console mat that higher trims have that they don't, and they just need a wakeup call knowing they bought the base model.

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Do they put green fog lights and red neon grilles on them like they do here in Ontario?
Ehh its not that tacky. But its usually something along the lines of:
Lifted, no mudflaps, HIDs in halogen housings. Emissions delete so rolling coal, smokestacks for exhaust like you see on semi trucks. Gridlock traffic but the guy is blazing up the left shoulder doing 120 not giving a fuck

Touring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2013 Honda Civic EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ehh its not that tacky. But its usually something along the lines of:
Lifted, no mudflaps, HIDs in halogen housings. Emissions delete so rolling coal, smokestacks for exhaust like you see on semi trucks. Gridlock traffic but the guy is blazing up the left shoulder doing 120 not giving a fuck
Oh god, the HIDs in the reflector housings. They usually have the HID fogs on too, so when you see one of these guys at night with everything lit up in the oncoming lane, it looks like there's an alien spacecraft flying towards you

lfrdg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
I'm in Mexico and own an EX

In Mexico the EX is a combination of the US/Canada LX/EX, some differences:
  • 2.0L with manual transmission (I think manual is not available in the EX models in US/Canada) (and I'm very happy with MT, it was very difficlt to find a MT in mexico, almost all come with CVT)
  • 5" non-touch radio
  • doesn't come with the sliding tray nor the mat. (Only the EX-L have them)
  • No lights in the vanity mirrors
  • No lane watch
  • no reverse camera
Sponsored