• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Difference between S mode vs dynamic sport mode. CVT

Ap2Iven

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Honda s2000 / 10th Gen Civic
Hello everyone, hope this doesn’t come off as a stupid question but this goes to the Cvt guys. What’s the difference when switching the Dynamic Mode, compared to switch from (D) to (S)port mode ? I looked in the manual and googled also but can’t find an answer. Is it the same thing or does the vehicle drive better in one or if both options are turned on. I have a track session coming soon and I’m thinking of taking this car instead of the S2000, and I’m not sure if I should switch to Sport mode and shift vehicle to S when driving hard. Does one accelerate faster than the other? Sorry for the long post , can’t seem to find the answer. Thanks

To;dr - I don’t know what makes vehicle accelerate faster Sport mode or shifting to S.

RRP RSX-S

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Mustang GT
I’ve posted it in detail a couple of times on here. Search my posts for a quick answer.

Palut

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra
D mode is basically fully automatic CVT mode for when you don't want to think. You can use paddle shifters to "change gear", but a short time after you stop using the paddles the CVT will go back to doing its own thing.

S mode also has an automatic mode which is more performance oriented than that in D, but once you use the paddles to "shift" the CVT will stay in that "gear" until you either hit redline, resulting in an automatic upshift, or let the revs drop too low, resulting in an automatic downshift.

ken_r34

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra
D mode is basically fully automatic CVT mode for when you don't want to think. You can use paddle shifters to "change gear", but a short time after you stop using the paddles the CVT will go back to doing its own thing.

S mode also has an automatic mode which is more performance oriented than that in D, but once you use the paddles to "shift" the CVT will stay in that "gear" until you either hit redline, resulting in an automatic upshift, or let the revs drop too low, resulting in an automatic downshift.
Does S mode really increase performance behaviour like throttle response or something? I've heard S mode really only enabled manual paddle mode and doesn't automatically revert back to CVT like in D

Palut

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra
The difference I can sense is transmission behavior. Compared to D mode, in automatic S mode the car maintains a higher engine speed at a given vehicle speed, and is much more eager to downshift quickly for you.

Throttle response is controlled by the drive mode you're in (Comfort, Normal, Sport, Individual), but the difference in transmission behavior between D & S seems to be greater than the throttle response changes in drive mode.

I've taken to driving almost exclusively in S mode using paddle shifters. I switch to D only when I'm in stop & go traffic, or to get lower RPM when cruising in top gear on the highway.