yyalb

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 gen Civic Si
Country flag
I'm planning to buy a ktuner, mainly for improving drivability and a little more oomph on sport mode, so I planning to do a factory startpoint/21.5psi basemap. I saw on Ktuner website that the factory starting point will:
Improved throttle response
Removed throttle dampening on low end, better performance off the line

As I plan to keep the car for long term, I hope to know any negative effect to reliability of these modifications on stock tune. Also, I'm curious If the sophiscated pretection mechanism of stock tune like cutting timing when hot, treatment for cold weather, etc (If any) will be messed up with the ktuner tune. For me, a tune may mess up the emission or mpg, but not the longivity of engine. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

tehSteve

GrayBeard McGootch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Country flag
The tune will disable the over-boost code that can/will be triggered by unlocking more PSI with the tuning unit.
This will come up as a "flag / not ready" when it comes to inspection time. Thankfully, the car can be flashed back to stock.

I forgot if it can be flashed back to completely stock or KTuners factory map.
Chances are that when the inspection person is revving your engine in an attempt to trigger a cell, he won't hit 19.5+ PSI, so you should be good.

Other than that, I would recommend a catted down-pipe + bung/defouler extension if you are looking for the route of more power.
When you run catless, it is very obvious for the inspector.

The MPG change is negligent. It's relative to how many times you decide to go full-boost / more fuel required. MPGs would change if the idle rpm was tampered with, yet again prob by .1

The big turbo kits are pushing like 400whp with custom tunes. And the engines seem to be holding up.

The KTUNER maps were ment for a mass demographic that everyone can use,. If anything, they are a little too conservative to worry about blowing something up. People on here have been running them for a while. And we still haven't heard any catastrophic stories. The people who designed the hardware are the same people that released the base maps. They definitely knew what they were doing.

Once you get a "custom tune" to unlock your car's full potential, that's when I would start worrying about the tuner implementing all safeguards.

Last edited: