Difference between CVT "STD" and CVT "Avail"?

tyler_fk7

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
I've noticed on the honda website when you go to build a new hatchback (i assume the other body styles have the same option), the sport models come with the Avail CVT, while the rest come with the CVT STD. Does anyone have any idea what the difference is? I know the sport models have a 6 hp increase, but perhaps the sport models have a more "sporty" gearing? tried to search on Google and couldn't find one bit of information comparing the two different CVTs.
Sponsored

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
STD means standard, so its a no cost choice, while available means you can choose one as an option (a manual transmission is standard on these).

69L46Vert

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SI Coupe, 2003 Civic DX, 1977 CJ5, 1969 Corvette, 1954 GMC 100, 2018 Toyota 4Runner, 1965 Volkswagen Beetle
Country flag
Just means you can’t get a manual transmission.?sad

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I've driven manual cars since the 1980's but I purchased a turbo CVT. It honestly does a good job putting the power where it needs to be and the different modes give you some control and engine braking. Of course I'm also tuned which kicks things up a notch.

Deleted User 1886347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It means you should get the 6MT. :cool:

Kidding aside, If it says available, it’s an added cost. But when I had my 16 Touring, I actually liked that CVT. So you can’t go wrong with either.

Feddy_Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
I've driven manual cars since the 1980's but I purchased a turbo CVT. It honestly does a good job putting the power where it needs to be and the different modes give you some control and engine braking. Of course I'm also tuned which kicks things up a notch.
I gotta agree. I was skeptical of the CVT, but I don’t really have any complaints. Never do so feel like I’m lacking power and once you learn how it likes to be treated, where it likes delivering power, it’s surprisingly quick.

NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag
It means that on some trims , the CVT comes standard (No manual available) and some trims, (Sport) the manual comes standard (You have to pay extra for the CVT).

Last edited:

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
My sport touring was cheaper with the manual. Huzzah!

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
man do i feel like an idiot now
You should have seen me on the wheel/tire forums about a year ago.

Seriously though... this thread will pop up in a search for someone in the future with a similar question. It's all good.

The word 'standard' when it applies to transmissions in different trim levels should probably be changed to 'included' or something similar.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
If you young guys really want your mind blown...

Back in the day when folks would talk about transmissions, a "standard" meant a manual.

OP
OP
tyler_fk7

tyler_fk7

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You should have seen me on the wheel/tire forums about a year ago.

Seriously though... this thread will pop up in a search for someone in the future with a similar question. It's all good.

The word 'standard' when it applies to transmissions in different trim levels should probably be changed to 'included' or something similar.
it really had me thinking there was two different CVTs...

OP
OP
tyler_fk7

tyler_fk7

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I gotta agree. I was skeptical of the CVT, but I don’t really have any complaints. Never do so feel like I’m lacking power and once you learn how it likes to be treated, where it likes delivering power, it’s surprisingly quick.
mine has been good from 0-5000 miles, but there was a bit of a break in period for the simulated paddle shifts to become more instantaneous. im considering trading in for a 6MT Hatch, but I bought this thing new so I'm gonnq lose money prohably.

anyways, my main worry is about longevity especially if I wanna do some simple bolt-on's and some ktuner maps.
Sponsored