Difference between 2020 Si suspension and HFP?

nathanzachary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si, 2004 Integra Type-R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
One more question that I have is the difference between the 2020 Si's suspension (which is listed as active dampening) and the HFP option. I would highly doubt that I would go for the HFP (given the price an other options out there), but wanted to see if anyone had experience with it or thoughts about it compared to the stock 2020 Si.

Thanks again!
Sponsored

ManitobaSI

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am getting the HFP installed on my 2019 on Tuesday, so I will let you know! Ricks Garage on YouTube has a good couple of videos on it. Its impossible to find specs or data on the kit though, just a lot of good reviews. They are more expensive but I went with them as I plan on keeping my car for a really long time and the roads are pretty rough here in my City, and my track days will be more for pleasure. They don’t require a camber kit also.

pinhead66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Odyssey EX-L
Country flag
Haven’t seen any data on increased spring rates or any sort of lowering. As the other user said it’s mainly different valving on the active dampers. I wonder if the HFP dampers can better handle stiffer springs like Swift compared to stock.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Haven’t seen any data on increased spring rates or any sort of lowering. As the other user said it’s mainly different valving on the active dampers. I wonder if the HFP dampers can better handle stiffer springs like Swift compared to stock.
I hope eventually someone with the HFP kit gets Swift Springs so we can find out.

I just install the Swift kit. When my OEM adaptive dampers start to fail my plan is to upgrade with the HFP dampers.

It's a little disappointing you have to buy the springs with it, but I guess it is what it is. At $400+ each to replace the OEM dampers might as well spend that money on the HFP set.

MaTtKs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I can chime in with some anecdotal experience with my setup, which is now HFP dampeners and Eibach Prokit springs. The car rides like a dream, perhaps better than both stock Si setup and full HFP setup. It’s really hard to say definitively though, as my switch to Eibach also came with the switch to 16lb lighter wheels that also dramatically changed the feel.

I feel very little bounce that you typically feel with a lowered setup in normal mode, and in Sport it drives super well at a noticeably firmer rate and corners like a champ. I’m extremely happy with my current setup. That said, the Eibach springs are not as an aggressive drop as the Swift mentioned above, so I can’t speak to that setup. I do enjoy the ride more now compared to stock Si and full HFP.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
I can chime in with some anecdotal experience with my setup, which is now HFP dampeners and Eibach Prokit springs. The car rides like a dream, perhaps better than both stock Si setup and full HFP setup. It’s really hard to say definitively though, as my switch to Eibach also came with the switch to 16lb lighter wheels that also dramatically changed the feel.

I feel very little bounce that you typically feel with a lowered setup in normal mode, and in Sport it drives super well at a noticeably firmer rate and corners like a champ. I’m extremely happy with my current setup. That said, the Eibach springs are not as an aggressive drop as the Swift mentioned above, so I can’t speak to that setup. I do enjoy the ride more now compared to stock Si and full HFP.
Are you sure the eibach is less of a drop than swift? I have seen no one that installed swift springs that actually dropped 1.1" front and rear like they claim.

Right now after a few days of driving hard on them, I've dropped 1"RR, 0.9" RL, 0.6" FR, 0.5" FL which has brought the car to a more even stance all around than OEM.

It might settle in a little more but I doubt it will change much.

MaTtKs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Are you sure the eibach is less of a drop than swift? I have seen no one that installed swift springs that actually dropped 1.1" front and rear like they claim.

Right now after a few days of driving hard on them, I've dropped 1"RR, 0.9" RL, 0.6" FR, 0.5" FL which has brought the car to a more even stance all around than OEM.

It might settle in a little more but I doubt it will change much.
I can only go off of the specs for Swift, so can’t say. Eibach states a .9” drop all around on the Si coupe, and that seems to line up with my setup. Sounds like they’re a similar drop based off of your research.

si_well

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag

Time out. Did you just order the HFP dampeners in lieu of the whole $1,600 suspension package? If so, how much did they run you and where did you get them?

This is definitely a route I would be interested in going when I get my Eibach pro springs in a few months.

MaTtKs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Time out. Did you just order the HFP dampeners in lieu of the whole $1,600 suspension package? If so, how much did they run you and where did you get them?

This is definitely a route I would be interested in going when I get my Eibach pro springs in a few months.
No, I worked a deal on the HFP package into the price of the car when I bought it. I’ve now replaced the wheels, springs, and front lip. Still have the skirts, dampeners, and floormats...so I got that going for me.

I don’t believe you can buy the HFP dampeners separately. Worth researching though.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Time out. Did you just order the HFP dampeners in lieu of the whole $1,600 suspension package?
I don’t believe you can buy the HFP dampeners separately. Worth researching though.
The set is only sold as the $1600 kit of dampers and springs. You cannot order a single damper even if you need a replacement at this time. No idea how warranty would be handled, the dealer would probably special order a single damper from Honda. I assume as an individual you would not be able to do this.

si_well

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
No, I worked a deal on the HFP package into the price of the car when I bought it. I’ve now replaced the wheels, springs, and front lip. Still have the skirts, dampeners, and floormats...so I got that going for me.

That makes sense. I didn't think you could buy just the dampeners independently, but after I read your post I looked around and couldn't find anything. It seems that the HFP suspension kit uses a different dampening control module anyway. So the only thing that wouldn't be utilized would be the springs, which I'm sure you could sell to recoup some of the cost. Other than that it just comes with new hardware.

Last edited:

Brakes88

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 TYP SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am getting the HFP installed on my 2019 on Tuesday, so I will let you know! Ricks Garage on YouTube has a good couple of videos on it. Its impossible to find specs or data on the kit though, just a lot of good reviews. They are more expensive but I went with them as I plan on keeping my car for a really long time and the roads are pretty rough here in my City, and my track days will be more for pleasure. They don’t require a camber kit also.
So what are your thoughts on the switch to the HFP suspension?

ManitobaSI

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have had the HFP for almost two weeks now and I am super happy. It replaced the stock SI struts and Whiteline springs. Yes, it is quite expensive in Canada, but now it is a different car and I am very very happy with it. Generally speaking though most parts are more expensive in Canada. The Honda dealer was kind enough to install my DC Sports upper strut bar for free at the same time. They charge a flat rate of 3.5 hrs for the install, and I would say they took 3.25 hours to do and the mechanic appeared to work quickly. In normal mode its feels so much smoother (I would tend to use the term smoother than softer, in my opinion), very luxurious and feels like my previous Lexus IS. In sport, it is much stiffer but still smooth. Doesn't have that slight bouncy feeling I had with the springs and handles better, it is difficult to explain but the car just feels fantastic. Also in the cold weather here I have no more clunking. However given the test of time maybe cold weather clunking will come back. The aftermarket springs just left a bad taste in my mouth, but maybe I had just selected the wrong ones. I have no experience with coil overs and how they would ride, but another factor is I want the ability to have comfortable highway drives, with the odd weekend track day. Also the roads are very poor and bumpy here and the HFP handles the rough roads pretty well. But I cannot quantify how much better it feels than a stock SI, the stock SI handles pretty darn good to begin with. But I must say though, that lightweight rims and high quality performance summer tires are by far the biggest jump to improve handling you can do. I would recommend rim and rubbers before anything else. Cheers!

Brakes88

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 TYP SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have had the HFP for almost two weeks now and I am super happy. It replaced the stock SI struts and Whiteline springs. Yes, it is quite expensive in Canada, but now it is a different car and I am very very happy with it. Generally speaking though most parts are more expensive in Canada. The Honda dealer was kind enough to install my DC Sports upper strut bar for free at the same time. They charge a flat rate of 3.5 hrs for the install, and I would say they took 3.25 hours to do and the mechanic appeared to work quickly. In normal mode its feels so much smoother (I would tend to use the term smoother than softer, in my opinion), very luxurious and feels like my previous Lexus IS. In sport, it is much stiffer but still smooth. Doesn't have that slight bouncy feeling I had with the springs and handles better, it is difficult to explain but the car just feels fantastic. Also in the cold weather here I have no more clunking. However given the test of time maybe cold weather clunking will come back. The aftermarket springs just left a bad taste in my mouth, but maybe I had just selected the wrong ones. I have no experience with coil overs and how they would ride, but another factor is I want the ability to have comfortable highway drives, with the odd weekend track day. Also the roads are very poor and bumpy here and the HFP handles the rough roads pretty well. But I cannot quantify how much better it feels than a stock SI, the stock SI handles pretty darn good to begin with. But I must say though, that lightweight rims and high quality performance summer tires are by far the biggest jump to improve handling you can do. I would recommend rim and rubbers before anything else. Cheers!
I've got the hfp rims and Ps4s going on when its warm. I might go with he HFP suspension next year this spring I'm thinking I'll tune and install the 27won intake and full turbo back exhaust.
Sponsored