Did your dealership Price Match?

gmaxis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Corolla, 2006 Xterra
Originally interested in getting the LX as a daily driver, I had offers from three different dealerships but settled with the closest one a mile away and picking the EX 2.0 Sedan instead. But looking back at the negotiation process, when I quoted the price offer from another dealer, the closest one (the one I bought the car from) said they will price match. When I checked the printout of their offer, I ended up with the Dealer Suggested price for the EX of $21,040--more than the other offers. Should the dealer honor the price match? Anyone else haggled this way and saved yourself a trip to another dealership?
Sponsored

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Originally interested in getting the LX as a daily driver, I had offers from three different dealerships but settled with the closest one a mile away and picking the EX 2.0 Sedan instead. But looking back at the negotiation process, when I quoted the price offer from another dealer, the closest one (the one I bought the car from) said they will price match. When I checked the printout of their offer, I ended up with the Dealer Suggested price for the EX of $21,040--more than the other offers. Should the dealer honor the price match? Anyone else haggled this way and saved yourself a trip to another dealership?
If you signed the contract, it's a binding contract. I know my dealer has a 30 day price guarantee so if you do find a lower price in writing they will match it, but if you have the car and signed for it, LEGALLY you're SOL and they can tell you to pound sand.

DjinTonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring, silver.
Country flag
My dealer said he would price match and he did. Got my initial discount off MSRP doubled in the end that way. In addition my dealer's policy is that if, within 48 hours of purchase, you find the exact same car (trim, color...) nearby for less, in writing, they will give you 110% of the difference. I had already gotten bids from all nearby dealers and cities so I couldn't find anything lower after purchase. BTW, I actually went to no other dealer; I did it all through Truecar and direct email, giving my current lowest offer (actually a few hundred less, since I was looking for bigger jumps).

The dealer's worksheet is very clear: at the top is the MSRP (incl. destination fee); the next line is the discount; then the difference or adjusted price. Then come the accessories, fees, and taxes. That's all you need from another dealer, the worksheet. You're interested in one figure: the discount from MSRP. My dealer honored that when they price-matched. The selling prices and the average selling price are what Truecar shows in its national and local graphs, along with the MSRP and so-called invoice price. All the Honda dealers I had contact with in NC used the same worksheet.

Last edited:
OP
OP

gmaxis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After driving the new Civic for nine days, trying to meet with the general sales manager and their customer service rep failing to explain how not a single discount (online e-certificate, Construction Sale Clearance) was applied to the price, they said they'll "gladly unwind me out of the contract". So, now I'm in the market again for another Civic from another dealer. The Hatchback Sport is looking mighty attractive right now but will wait til after Thanksgiving to see if there will be any Black Friday deals or at least more units in stock to choose from.

DjinTonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring, silver.
Country flag
Sorry you had a lemon of a dealer!

OP
OP

gmaxis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Even if they offered me half of the discount they promised, they already ruined the customer relationship. They kept lying to the very end until they can't cover it up anymore. Some dealers really think they can fool every buyer.

Notmighty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accords couple ex-l 6cylinder 1999 Si 96k greddy turbo kit
I got 2 quotes for my sport hatchback the first dealer actually had it on the lot, 2nd was waiting on transit to drop it. Did internet price quotes on both, 2nd dealer came in about 700 cheaper showed that to 1st dealer and they insisted that was impossible aS the 2nd dealers quote was "under invoice". After some back and forth and a little Internet searching it seems like the 2nd dealer gave me the lower quote in hopes I'd buy a so.e extra dealer items where they'd make the profit at. I don't think any buyer will ever know the actual invoice/dealer cost. I read in a thrad on somewhere else if you take your sales tax and divide it by your tax rate that will give you the actual selling price. For me 1500 of msrp was a sweet deal for a car just hitting the market.
Sponsored