Did you wait for the Maintenance Minder indicator for your first oil change?

HalfBreed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Sport Sedan, 2.0 CVT
Country flag
This is probably one of those "beating a dead horse" topics, but I'm hoping to have my mind eased, with this being my first brand new car and me wanting to baby it, do everything right and make it last. Lol.

I got my Civic new last year, at the beginning of December. It currently only has like 5,600ish easy driven miles on it, and the oil life is at either 20% or 30%, I can't remember off the top of my head. No Maintenance Minder indicator yet, of course. I think I read that you get the A indicator around 15% oil life or so.

I realize I simply don't put as many miles on my car as some, and I don't drive it hard. But it just feels weird to go this length of time without changing the oil.

So help me put my paranoid mind at ease. Do I wait til my car tells me it's time to change the oil, or should I do it soon, as I'm approaching 1yr since I got it?

Edit: And I read that even when you do get the A indicator, it's only means to change the oil, not the filter. Is that right? There's no concern with the filter being extra fouled from metal shavings from the new engine? Or is that just an old myth?
Sponsored

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic hatchback sport
Country flag
From what I’ve read, the very first oil that is put in your car has a special additive that helps “break in” the engine. You need to keep that oil there for the recommended 7500 miles. After that, I wouldn’t recommend waiting for the indicator or oil percentages. An oil filter should always be changed with the oil. Some like to do it before 5k, but ~ 5k generally is the interval you should do it at.

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
This is probably one of those "beating a dead horse" topics, but I'm hoping to have my mind eased, with this being my first brand new car and me wanting to baby it, do everything right and make it last. Lol.

I got my Civic new last year, at the beginning of December. It currently only has like 5,600ish easy driven miles on it, and the oil life is at either 20% or 30%, I can't remember off the top of my head. No Maintenance Minder indicator yet, of course. I think I read that you get the A indicator around 15% oil life or so.

I realize I simply don't put as many miles on my car as some, and I don't drive it hard. But it just feels weird to go this length of time without changing the oil.

So help me put my paranoid mind at ease. Do I wait til my car tells me it's time to change the oil, or should I do it soon, as I'm approaching 1yr since I got it?

Edit: And I read that even when you do get the A indicator, it's only means to change the oil, not the filter. Is that right? There's no concern with the filter being extra fouled from metal shavings from the new engine? Or is that just an old myth?
I always wait for the minder, just because it makes it easier. I've heard in the past that the first oil they put in has some special stuff that needs to stay there as long as possible so I'd recommend keeping it even though you don't drive your car as much. Your car still has a warranty, so don't worry about anything going wrong with it.

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
From what I’ve read, the very first oil that is put in your car has a special additive that helps “break in” the engine.
No.
The special additive you’re referring to is the high molybdenum content assembly lube from when the engine was built.
For what it’s worth, I’ve always dumped the factory fill oil at 1000 miles to get machining swarf out of the engine and never had the world end or an engine fail in 35+ years of vehicle ownership.
Flame on.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
No.
The special additive you’re referring to is the high molybdenum content assembly lube from when the engine was built.
For what it’s worth, I’ve always dumped the factory fill oil at 1000 miles to get machining swarf out of the engine and never had the world end or an engine fail in 35+ years of vehicle ownership.
Flame on.
I've done lots of things you're not supposed to do and never had any engine issues in any car. My wife worked at Mobil and they would run engines with the oil drained out. They would run for thousands of miles. People go crazy over this stuff.

No_One

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX
Country flag
Honda dealer said that the oil must be changed at one year on very low mileage CivicX.
So, mine was changed at about 1,250 miles.
It was changed again on 2nd anniversary with about 2,500 miles total.
Mileage minded did display maintenance needed for that second change (12 month interval).

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
FWIW. in the Owners Manual for my 2018 Civic, in the Maintenance section, under the chart where it lists the MM codes, in fine print it says "If a Maintenance Minder indicator does not appear more than 12 months after the display is reset, change the engine oil every year." So there is a maximum time interval of one year.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Maintenance minder or 6 months is what I'd do on a stock vehicle.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
We talk about first oil change ; many posts on forums said wait 10-15 % or not more than 1 year.
That is what I do on our 2 Civic

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It doesn't matter so long as there is oil in the engine...that's the only truth.
Personally i do my oil change when i says 10%...for the first one i'll go earlier and i wouldn't go more than a year without changing the oil. Use recommended synthetic oil.

EDIT: oh but i forgot about 1.5L turbo...my comment only applies to the K20C2 NA engine.

Last edited:

kimtyson

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Blue Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The changing seasons helps break down oil and the MM has no idea what the weather is. If I were you, I'd change it now\soon.

NeedThatHatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mitsubishi Mirage De coupe 2003
Country flag
Listen I don't know if the people here are the vast majority of owners who don't know what goes on in their cars or if they ACTUALLY don't experience the issue, but the supposed truth is that the 1.5turbo engines are practically defective. They let more gas mix into the car oil than is comfortably permitted on typical turbos and will EVENTUALLY cause a large amount of busted engines in the near future once it starts to show.

I don't own this car YET and neither am I a car guy, but i'm not sheep and it's smart to understand the known flaws this generation has, such as said oil dilution and also Air conditioner problems.

Anyway, my understanding from hours of researching is that at the very least you're going to want to use high quality, full synthetic oil (0w-20 is recommended but some show tests indicating that 0w-30 in some cases wouldn't be a bad idea either later on in the lifespan) and to change it as often as 3k miles or less depending on the severity of the issue. Also other things that are mixtures of possible BS-mitigation-liability-lies from Honda like NEEDING to take the car out for longer than 10 minutes at a time, and NEEDING to push it hard enough in order to counteract its fantastic cooling measures which unfortunately become a factor in said oil dilution. IDK there's a crapload of stuff about this issue and half of it is jargon from Honda and the other half is hear-say or nay-say from car mechanic youtubers and the owners themselves.

Have you not noticed your car oil smelling of gasoline yet? I'm sorry if this triggers people. I'm 2 weeks away from getting a 2021 Sport Touring Manual so how do you think I feel?

Last edited:
OP
OP
HalfBreed

HalfBreed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Sport Sedan, 2.0 CVT
Country flag
Listen I don't know if the people here are the vast majority of owners who don't know what goes on in their cars or if they ACTUALLY don't experience the issue, but the supposed truth is that the 1.5turbo engines are practically defective. They let more gas mix into the car oil than is comfortably permitted on typical turbos and will EVENTUALLY cause a large amount of busted engines in the near future once it starts to show.

I don't own this car YET and neither am I a car guy, but i'm not sheep and it's smart to understand the known flaws this generation has such as said oil dilution and also Air conditioner problems.

Anyway, my understanding from hours of researching is that at the very least you're going to want to use high quality, full synthetic oil (0w-20 is recommended but some show tests indicating that 02-30 in some cases wouldn't be a bad idea either later on in the lifespan) and to change it as often as 3k miles or less depending on the severity of the issue.

Have you not noticed your car oil smelling of gasoline yet? I'm sorry if this triggers people. I'm 2 weeks away from getting a 2021 Sport Touring Manual so how do you think I feel?
Mine is a 2.0 NA, so the oil dilution problem isn't an issue, as I understand it. But no, I haven't smelled any gas when checking the oil.

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They still make the good ol trusty ivtec twincam 2.0L K20 for cheap it's super evolved edition and it's really fuel efficient and cheap too :)

They tamed it down a bit but it's for the better the engine is smoother and it can still sing...only problem is the flywheel is too heavy for this engine/transmission combo and it will rev hang on you if you're using a manual you get used to it but it make shifting it fast a bit harder.
Sponsored