Did you test drive your R before purchasing?

WhatThePuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Acura Rsx (sold), '19 CW CTR 23909
Country flag
At least his first name isn't Seymour.
Tiny,
Worse than Seymour, Mansoor Is pronounced man-sore... butz. Why would his parents (Harry & Sharee Butts) do this?
No lie, I went to high school with a guy named Harry Oranges. :oops:
I shit you not. Coolest dude though, he was hilarious.
Sponsored

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
It's no different in this aspect here in Europe. Only difference is that the dealerships have these demonstrator cars that they assume selling for less after a while. Overall it's not a financial loss because it brings them business. Here buyers are demanding, they won't easily part with $$$. There is even a Bentley/Lambo dealership that has demo cars.

The same goes for continental Europe. It can be sometimes that you are accompanied. I prefer so/even demand and tell them to present car functions during test drive. I don't have to figure all myself and waste time. Most of the times I had to sign an agreement with a 5% insurance franchise in case I crash the car.
True, no mark-up games here also. Worst case MSRP, frequently you get a 10%, unless smth rare. But no - this is hyper-limited-ultra-rare car - games. I was never pushed to get optionals, dealing with Bmw, Porsche, Mazda, others. I'd say there is a more tempered capitalism form in Europe. Even cars like Porsche 718, R, GT you get them if the dealership has building slots.

I test drove may cars/multiple times to make sure I spend my money on something in line with my expectations. I don't afford taking losses to change the car every year.
You do have to understand it is two different cultures. I dont know about in the UK. but lots of car people here like ot just go play and the dealers know it. IM sure over there people arent big in to wasting others time. Over here its the attitude of its the dealer who cares. People go out and want to play and "test" drive a car they have no intention of buying because they just want to check it out. Or plan on buying one in 2 or 3 years?? just read the forums full of posts like this. Then get mad because the dealers know this and dont want to let them play with the cars. If the dealers let everyone test drive a car that came in and asked thats all they would do and the car would never be sold because of all the test drives. because again no one wants a car that's been test driven. My buddy who works at the local honda dealer says he gets at least 6 people a day who want to test drive the type R. Dealerships just cant do that its a major waste of their time and wear on the car.

People say they need to keep a tester car? How most dealer dont even have one in stock let alone one to just have around to test drive. Now if you have cash in hand and had a credit check and papers about to be signed yes then you should get a test drive before signing the dotted line. but to just go play because your thinking in 2 or 3 years you might buy one?

To be honest the only people I have seen mad or upset they cant test drive one are the ones wanting to play. Serious buyers myself included bought it I could have not cared less about a test drive.

Like I said if they let everyone test drive them and the way everyone is about they dont want test driven cars well.... how would any of you get a car that wasnt test driven? Right buy playing.. going to one dealer to test drive then to another to buy off truck. its all a game and people are just unhappy they cant have their way cause the dealers are on to them.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
You do have to understand it is two different cultures. I dont know about in the UK. but lots of car people here like ot just go play and the dealers know it. IM sure over there people arent big in to wasting others time. Over here its the attitude of its the dealer who cares. People go out and want to play and "test" drive a car they have no intention of buying because they just want to check it out. Or plan on buying one in 2 or 3 years?? just read the forums full of posts like this. Then get mad because the dealers know this and dont want to let them play with the cars. If the dealers let everyone test drive a car that came in and asked thats all they would do and the car would never be sold because of all the test drives. because again no one wants a car that's been test driven. My buddy who works at the local honda dealer says he gets at least 6 people a day who want to test drive the type R. Dealerships just cant do that its a major waste of their time and wear on the car.

People say they need to keep a tester car? How most dealer dont even have one in stock let alone one to just have around to test drive. Now if you have cash in hand and had a credit check and papers about to be signed yes then you should get a test drive before signing the dotted line. but to just go play because your thinking in 2 or 3 years you might buy one?

To be honest the only people I have seen mad or upset they cant test drive one are the ones wanting to play. Serious buyers myself included bought it I could have not cared less about a test drive.

Like I said if they let everyone test drive them and the way everyone is about they dont want test driven cars well.... how would any of you get a car that wasnt test driven? Right buy playing.. going to one dealer to test drive then to another to buy off truck. its all a game and people are just unhappy they cant have their way cause the dealers are on to them.
It's a good thing you know the car so well so you can skip a test drive when you get back into one :) ;)

Come on bud - you've had your fun it's time to come home - that fat pony isn't your friend you know you miss the rice-a-roni

Come back to the Type-R side - we have cookies!

R-10552

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Acura RDX Aspec, 2019 Civic Si (wife's)
Country flag
No, test drive was not an option when I bought mine in April of 2018.

RepyT

Almost Stock ‘19 R on 255/35-19”
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R FK8, 2017 Lexus GX460 Luxury
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I wasn't really planning on buying a CTR (was gonna get a 3 series), but a local used dealer had one on the lot so when I went out to test drive a 3 series I stopped by and drove the CTR, and well you see how that turned out.
it worked out better fun factor wise. While I appreciate the relatively spartan firm ride of many BMWs, I call them Boring Money Wasted.

Groundcontrol

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM CTR
Country flag
When I got my 2018, it was first come first serve as it rolled off the truck. You either started filling out the paperwork or the next person was up. Hopefully it still isn't like that now.

I also had a sales person from a different dealership say they test drove the one they had on the lot and "it had no problems getting up to triple digits." That dealership was crossed off my list.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
When I got my 2018, it was first come first serve as it rolled off the truck. You either started filling out the paperwork or the next person was up. Hopefully it still isn't like that now.

I also had a sales person from a different dealership say they test drove the one they had on the lot and "it had no problems getting up to triple digits." That dealership was crossed off my list.
This is most likely the main culprit even today. When I got mine back in 2017 it was a few weeks before official release. I was straight up told no test drives no haggling cause if I didnt want it there were 5 guys in line behind me with blank checks. They were not kidding there were actually 3 guys who showed up and waited the whole time incase I wasn't able to buy it. My buddy who works at a dealer said they still have 7 people on wait list from last year. Their Rs are sold before they hit the floor. So no need to cater to test drivers.

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Toyota Sienna, 2006 Toyota Highlander, 1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye
Country flag
Back in 2017 when the CTR first went on sale in America Honda had one Type-R that they toured from state to state as a test drive car. I test drove it in Richmond, Va. It had 5,000 miles on it in August 2017 which was only a few months after the CTR came to America.
Wonder where that car is? Would they sell it or just keep it as a promo car or test car? If they did sell it I would imagine they might disclose that it was a tour car.

diakonia

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type-R, Accord, CRV
Country flag
Wonder where that car is? Would they sell it or just keep it as a promo car or test car? If they did sell it I would imagine they might disclose that it was a tour car.
I also wonder where that test drive car is too. It was Aegean Blue and was already showing "drove hard" signs. The car started on the west coast and made its way to the east coast. When I drove it, they had just rotated the tires because the fronts were really worn. It was the first car I ever drove with auto rev match which I was't used to. The car was only around 3 months old and already had 5,000 miles on it. I should have gotten the badge #. This was Summer 2017.
I ended up buying mine in another state sight unseen. I didn't even see my car until after we did all of the paper work. The day I drove it home from another state it was snowing. I was a little nervous driving on those summer tires when it was below freezing.

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Toyota Sienna, 2006 Toyota Highlander, 1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye
Country flag
I also wonder where that test drive car is too. It was Aegean Blue and was already showing "drove hard" signs. The car started on the west coast and made its way to the east coast. When I drove it, they had just rotated the tires because the fronts were really worn. It was the first car I ever drove with auto rev match which I was't used to. The car was only around 3 months old and already had 5,000 miles on it. I should have gotten the badge #. This was Summer 2017.
I ended up buying mine in another state sight unseen. I didn't even see my car until after we did all of the paper work. The day I drove it home from another state it was snowing. I was a little nervous driving on those summer tires when it was below freezing.
Man, that’s a lot of miles in 3 months! Pretty insane. Yeah, wonder where it is...

Man, you are brave driving in the snow with those tires! I was nervous just driving in 40 degree weather let alone snow!

Canuck

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
No test drive, didn’t need it after watching multiple on line reviews. There were no negative ones. Couldn’t wipe the smile off my face since ?!

OP
OP
TheCanadian

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
Incase anyone was wondering, I ended up buying the car without even driving it.

I walked past it on delivery day and there was a guy taking a picture of it. Strolled into the dealership, signed the papers, and strolled out with the key and fired it up for the first time.

10/10, would recommend.

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
I got to test drive a used 2017 CTR at a Toyota dealership last year. Went for the drive with the salesman and when we got back we went into the showroom to talk and there were six sales staff with their jaws open! They all said Wow! we're not even allowed to sit in one!! I did end up buying a new 2019 that I found at MSRP in another state
You don't actually believe that, do you? That's just another ploy they use to butter you up so you'll be more likely to splurge.

ScubaLou

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Type R, 2014 VFR800
Country flag
i was able to test mine in West Chester, PA. only 1 of 5 within an hour and a half that would allow a test. showed up in my Focus ST, and the salesman tossed me the keys and let me take it out alone. he had a WRX so he understood... good experience.