Did you test drive your R before purchasing?

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
I've got an order for a Boost Blue 2020 Type R - but of course there is no R in stock for a test drive.
Instead I will be test driving an Si to get a feel for the Chassis only.

Did you test drive a R before ordering/purchasing
Sponsored

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No, I don't think you could in most situations. Dealers wouldn't let you. What you could do is look at Carvana or some other similar place for a used one to get a feel for it (only issue is it would have to be a 2019 or prior one and there are some changes between the pre 2020s that wouldn't be reflected in the test drive).

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I've got an order for a Boost Blue 2020 Type R - but of course there is no R in stock for a test drive.
Instead I will be test driving an Si to get a feel for the Chassis only.

Did you test drive a R before ordering/purchasing
Si test drive won't get you any feel for what the Type R is IMO. From the chassis to the suspension to the powertrain, it's all different. It'll get you a feel for the interior and controls, but that's about it.

OP
OP
TheCanadian

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
Si test drive won't get you any feel for what the Type R is IMO. From the chassis to the suspension to the powertrain, it's all different. It'll get you a feel for the interior and controls, but that's about it.

That's pretty much what I am going for - feel for the interior. I do know the R's seats are lower. I'm also assuming the clutch on the R isn't insanely more heavy than the Si.

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Drive Si in sport mode, that's what comfort mode is kind of like on the R but better lol.

That's how different they are

Clutch is a lot heavier than Si but Si clutch is so light to begin with.

Shifting is horrible on the Si compared to the Type R due to rev hang and dual mass fly wheel.

Si seats are more comfy imo for long drives

Interior is pretty much the same except red seat belts and more Alcantara.

Lyttle

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I'm in the same boat as you, I have ordered one but alas nothing to test drive. The closest I came to "driving" one was when they came out originally the sales manager at my local dealership who I knew took me for a spin in the R.

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
I drove a Type R at CarMax.

Any Honda dealer won't let you touch their Type R, new or used, before your name is on the title. I didn't even sit in my car until it was time to drive it away and only then did I find out my R number.

Which was perfect. If I, the actual buyer, can't touch it until it's mine, it means nobody else could either.
Same here, I didn't even open the door to my car before I signed on the line. It was easy for me though, I was not on the fence about which car I wanted, only decision was color. I haven't heard of a Honda dealer letting you test drive one. Most keep it indoors and do not want to move it until you buy it.

HondaFan2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 PMM CTR (ex BMW 420d GC)
Country flag
I was able to drive test it, long before buying it.
Also Type R is not so hyped over here. Especially in NW Europe is common to regularly find a couple of Type-R on stock at a Honda dealership.
Drive-test is common practice in Europe. Highly unlikely here that people buy cars without testing. Usually no test/bad dealer attitude, no purchasing.

Some brands(usually premium ones) will even offer you the car for the wend. I was offered a Bmw M2/ 718 Cayman after the initial 1-2h drive test. Since I decided not to buy them I declined to avoid the waste.

Last edited:

Sleepy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 CW
Country flag
Test drove a ‘20 Type R at a dealership in LA and ended up buying a different one from a different dealer that came off the truck...

ehCobra

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP Civic Type-R
Country flag
You are in Canada -- where abouts? I got to test drive mine (was going to buy it regardless), but it was a used model. I had no luck trying to test drive other new models.

Greyhouse

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 sport touring
Country flag
Test drove a ‘20 Type R at a dealership in LA and ended up buying a different one from a different dealer that came off the truck...
Not cool to the original dealership ,but sounds like something I would have done ,I wouldn’t want mine touched either

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R, 2007 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Got mine with 4 miles on the odometer. I'm glad no one was able to take it on a test drive. Someone would have dogged the hell out of it while the clutch hasn't been broken in nor the engine.

The R clutch is heavy? lol wut. It's the lightest and easiest to drive manual i've driven. Granted i've never driven the newer Si. The clutch in my 2007 Si is super heavy comparatively. Plus it starts to engage the instant you move it to release it
Sponsored