Did you test drive your R before purchasing?

garysan

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sandersonandson.com
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R & BMW M135i
Country flag
It does seem to be a peculiar North American/Canada thing that dealerships don't allow test drives.... Alien to me here in the UK to be honest. I was actually a bit put out that a salesman insisted on coming with me when I test drove a Type-R here as that's the first time in about 10 years that I'd had an accompanied test drive. Usually at BMW they just make me sign something, give me the keys and ask that I'm back before they close... That above MSRP thing in the States is also all kinds of hoooky <shakes head>

I test drove the Type-R three times before pulling the trigger - twice from the dealer I bought mine from and in-between I also had a go in another dealers' demonstrator to make sure they both felt the same, sounded the same, etc. and then got 'best and final prices' from both before the last test. I think my first test drive was well over an hour long.

Hey, you have to be sure right? ??
Sponsored

WhatThePuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Acura Rsx (sold), '19 CW CTR 23909
Country flag
I did not test drive before purchasing. ??ā€ā™€ I was ok with that ?

RepyT

Almost Stock ā€˜19 R on 255/35-19ā€
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R FK8, 2017 Lexus GX460 Luxury
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
At least his first name isn't Seymour.
Tiny,
Worse than Seymour, Mansoor Is pronounced man-sore... butz. Why would his parents (Harry & Sharee Butts) do this?

RepyT

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Got fit for protective mask since going for routine service next week. No telling where those wrenches have been. Donā€™t want to catch Car-owner-19 virus!

Honda Civic 10th gen Did you test drive your R before purchasing? 44C48C10-2A28-4FD3-9C2E-19B09A8FD717

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Tiny,
Worse than Seymour, Mansoor Is pronounced man-sore... butz. Why would his parents (Harry & Sharee Butts) do this?
It's sadistic... I have a friend named Richard Long...

Got fit for protective mask since going for routine service next week. No telling where those wrenches have been. Donā€™t want to catch Car-owner-19 virus!

44C48C10-2A28-4FD3-9C2E-19B09A8FD717.jpeg
LOL. Something-something-heat issues :p

RepyT

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It does seem to be a peculiar North American/Canada thing that dealerships don't allow test drives.... Alien to me here in the UK to be honest. I was actually a bit put out that a salesman insisted on coming with me when I test drove a Type-R here as that's the first time in about 10 years that I'd had an accompanied test drive. Usually at BMW they just make me sign something, give me the keys and ask that I'm back before they close... That above MSRP thing in the States is also all kinds of hoooky <shakes head>

I test drove the Type-R three times before pulling the trigger - twice from the dealer I bought mine from and in-between I also had a go in another dealers' demonstrator to make sure they both felt the same, sounded the same, etc. and then got 'best and final prices' from both before the last test. I think my first test drive was well over an hour long.

Interesting how customs and expectations differ in UK. Imagine after test drive #2 their eyes rolled when you came back.

My dealer made a statement that is true based on not allowing test drives before financing approved but I didnā€™t know their rules at the time.

They said no one that ever took a Type R on a test drive DIDNā€™T buy it. I like the negativity in this case rather than saying everyone that drove it, bought it.

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Toyota Sienna, 2006 Toyota Highlander, 1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye
Country flag
I got to test drive but it just so happened the car they used for test drives was a general managers car. It was for sale as well, used with 15k miles. I actually was looking for an Accord Sport but test drove it. Wife and I liked it and bought it. I tested omg thing is all their Type Rs had about 62 miles on them, they had 3 at the time. Weird. Dunno if all their Hondaā€™s had that mileage. I was like whatever. If it was joyrides I think it would be really coincidental they all had the same mileage.

garysan

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sandersonandson.com
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R & BMW M135i
Country flag
Interesting how customs and expectations differ in UK. Imagine after test drive #2 their eyes rolled when you came back.
Ah but as I said, different dealers. One test drive at one, one test drive at another a couple of weeks later - requested best offers from both based on spec I had chosen. There was a bait of a wait IIRC as I had some financial stuff to work out and then a final, shorter test drive from chosen/winning dealer just to make sure I'd covered everything I wanted to before signing - not just hurtling about in +R mode which the salesman seemed eager I try but rather "could I daily this?", "would it be comfortable enough for longer trips?", etc. - the #becauseracecar bit is a given ??

(I was coming from a BMW M135i). Similar size and no. of doors, seats, etc. but *very* different cars.

19typeRblk

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Porsche 944 turbo S, 1978 Porsche 911SC, 2014 Toyota Tundra
Country flag

44C48C10-2A28-4FD3-9C2E-19B09A8FD717.jpeg
??????āœŒ

darrvao777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR, '18 G550
Country flag
I didn't test drive it. Didn't know how to drive manual transmission at the time. Learned on the Type R after purchase.

19typeRblk

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Porsche 944 turbo S, 1978 Porsche 911SC, 2014 Toyota Tundra
Country flag
I got to test drive a used 2017 CTR at a Toyota dealership last year. Went for the drive with the salesman and when we got back we went into the showroom to talk and there were six sales staff with their jaws open! They all said Wow! we're not even allowed to sit in one!! I did end up buying a new 2019 that I found at MSRP in another state

amurciano

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R FK8
Country flag
I was able to test drive mine before buying. It was even a floor model so it took them lots of effort to take it out for me to drive. Maybe because they had 3 other type r's in stock but even if they didn't they knew how serious I was of buying so they accommodated me.
Whats funny is a never drove manual car before in my life so I was learning on the test drive. When we got in the car I told the sales guy, " this is my first time driving stick, so bear with me" He kinda gave me a look but was surprised of how well I did.

HondaFan2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 PMM CTR (ex BMW 420d GC)
Country flag
And this is why dealer don't allow test drives. People just playing. Pretty bad you don't even want the one you test drove. LIke I have said before everyone wants to test drive but then wants a car that hasn't been test driven. People are strange
It's no different in this aspect here in Europe. Only difference is that the dealerships have these demonstrator cars that they assume selling for less after a while. Overall it's not a financial loss because it brings them business. Here buyers are demanding, they won't easily part with $$$. There is even a Bentley/Lambo dealership that has demo cars.

The same goes for continental Europe. It can be sometimes that you are accompanied. I prefer so/even demand and tell them to present car functions during test drive. I don't have to figure all myself and waste time. Most of the times I had to sign an agreement with a 5% insurance franchise in case I crash the car.
True, no mark-up games here also. Worst case MSRP, frequently you get a 10%, unless smth rare. But no - this is hyper-limited-ultra-rare car - games. I was never pushed to get optionals, dealing with Bmw, Porsche, Mazda, others. I'd say there is a more tempered capitalism form in Europe. Even cars like Porsche 718, R, GT you get them if the dealership has building slots.

I test drove may cars/multiple times to make sure I spend my money on something in line with my expectations. I don't afford taking losses to change the car every year.

Last edited:

diakonia

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type-R, Accord, CRV
Country flag
Back in 2017 when the CTR first went on sale in America Honda had one Type-R that they toured from state to state as a test drive car. I test drove it in Richmond, Va. It had 5,000 miles on it in August 2017 which was only a few months after the CTR came to America.

Ouhei

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CW CTR
Country flag
I wasn't really planning on buying a CTR (was gonna get a 3 series), but a local used dealer had one on the lot so when I went out to test drive a 3 series I stopped by and drove the CTR, and well you see how that turned out.
Sponsored