Did you test drive your R before purchasing?

OP
OP
TheCanadian

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
Thanks for the replies everyone! The R I snagged shouldn't be driven by anyone but me neither (Honda employees excluded) - and I can kind of understand it. I wouldn't want anyone flogging my car around either. There aren't many R's up here in Canada anyways.

The R clutch is heavy? It's the lightest and easiest to drive manual i've driven.
Good to hear. I'm planning on brining this R to 200,000 km+ over my ownership. I've sat in a few manual cars at auto shows over the years. I've actually found a lot of cars (even high HP V8 domestics) actually have a lighter clutch than my 2000 Miata. The only cars I've seen with a heavier clutch so far are a WRX and STI.
Sponsored

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Got mine with 4 miles on the odometer. I'm glad no one was able to take it on a test drive. Someone would have dogged the hell out of it while the clutch hasn't been broken in nor the engine.

The R clutch is heavy? lol wut. It's the lightest and easiest to drive manual i've driven. Granted i've never driven the newer Si. The clutch in my 2007 Si is super heavy comparatively. Plus it starts to engage the instant you move it to release it
Comparing it to the Si, yes its heavy.

NYR2424

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Yes. Was able to test drive a used 2019 one they had in stock. But waited for new 2020 one to buy.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Comparing it to the Si, yes its heavy.
Is it really? Part of me wants to test drive an Si just to see how much better the CTR is.

At the same time, I think the Si is probably a better daily driver. Plus it has heated seats and a sunroof!

CaptClutch

First Name
Jaren
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR, '12 Toyota Tundra, '98 Civic LX
Country flag
I hadn't drive anything more recent than a 2001 Acura Integra GSR. At the time I was daily driving a 98 Civic LX. Never driven a Type R just wanted one. Bought my CTR without even seeing it in person. Flew across the country and drove it out of the showroom floor. After that it was a 2,000 mile trip home

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Is it really? Part of me wants to test drive an Si just to see how much better the CTR is.

At the same time, I think the Si is probably a better daily driver. Plus it has heated seats and a sunroof!
It is, only because the Si clutch is stupidly light that when comparing the Rs clutch, its heavy per say haha.

I've owned the 17 MT Hatchback for 2 years, then Si for a year now type R for a year.

Been through all them, stock, custom tuned, both Hondata and ktuner haha.

Yeah the Si is a much better daily, the MPG on it is nuts even with a tune lol. The seats were a lot more comfy imo as well but of course, not as aggressive as the Rs.

Si felt more punchy with the ktuner around city than the R though, credit to that tiny turbo lol.

Last edited:

Krisis52

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR Sonic Gray Pearl
Country flag
Where I bought would not allow a test drive, but another dealer that would not budge off of 4k over msrp made me test drive it before they would give me my keys back. Horrid experience, but at least I got to drive one before purchasing.

dyno350

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2000 S2000, 2003 RSX Type-S
Country flag
Nope. I knew I wanted the car. Hands down, best car I've ever had.

OP
OP
TheCanadian

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
Maybe I shouldn't even test drive the Si then.
I've driven a Civic Touring before anyways - I know how the infotainment works.

Patriots1959

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I was able to test drive my 2019 CTR in the parking lot. I probably drove about a 1/4 mile. I wouldn't buy it unless they at least let me do that at a minimum.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
Test drove a ā€˜20 Type R at a dealership in LA and ended up buying a different one from a different dealer that came off the truck...
And this is why dealer don't allow test drives. People just playing. Pretty bad you don't even want the one you test drove. LIke I have said before everyone wants to test drive but then wants a car that hasn't been test driven. People are strange

Sleepy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 CW
Country flag
And this is why dealer don't allow test drives. People just playing. Pretty bad you don't even want the one you test drove. LIke I have said before everyone wants to test drive but then wants a car that hasn't been test driven. People are strange
Maybe if you continued reading the threading you would see why I didnā€™t...

RepyT

Almost Stock ā€˜19 R on 255/35-19ā€
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R FK8, 2017 Lexus GX460 Luxury
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
NE Atlanta dealer said Rā€™s stay locked until finance approved, they sell at about MSRP.

After $ thumbs up (I came with approved loan, Honda matched my terms so I used them) I then got test drive it with salesperson. I didnā€™t baby it and think I scared the crap out of him, not a novice driver. He has best name ever for career car salesman, you wouldnā€™t believe if not for the picture (great guy).

Honda Civic 10th gen Did you test drive your R before purchasing? 2885AB62-5EC2-4FCC-A83B-BB0A15298358

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
NE Atlanta dealer said Rā€™s stay locked until finance approved, they sell at about MSRP.

After $ thumbs up (I came with approved loan, Honda matched my terms so I used them) I then got test drive it with salesperson. I didnā€™t baby it and think I scared the crap out of him, not a novice driver. He has best name ever for career car salesman, you wouldnā€™t believe if not for the picture (great guy).

2885AB62-5EC2-4FCC-A83B-BB0A15298358.jpeg
At least his first name isn't Seymour.

BryanCO

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR, 2007 GT3, 1993 Miata
Country flag
Test drove a used one before making the decision to buy.

4 miles or 40 miles on the odo, doesnā€™t matter To me.
Sponsored