Did you test drive your R before purchasing?

UDEL09

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R
Country flag
I was able to test drive my CTR without any conditions. The sales person remarked that they don’t usually allow it but I “looked like a serious buyer.” Before I found the CTR I test drove a Mustang Bullitt, GT, and the new Performance Pack Ecoboost. Though the Mustangs looked great and were impressive on paper, they did not put a smile on my face like the CTR did. Though it is an awesome car, I would recommend trying to get the test drive just to make sure you are getting exactly what you want. Good Luck!
Sponsored

Sleepy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 CW
Country flag
Not cool to the original dealership ,but sounds like something I would have done ,I wouldn’t want mine touched either
Well I had inquired about purchasing a Boost Blue, was told it would be coming in from the truck and scheduled an appointment, arrived the there was a no boost blue. So I drove a hour to see a car that wasn’t there and they let me test drive CW to see if I liked the car and would consider just putting money down to secure it. Needless to say we didn’t agree on the added dealer items they put on all their vehicles and the amount over MSRP. The one I ended up buying my car from wasn’t allowing any test drives at all. I spent a good two weeks of dealing with dealerships who were doing mark ups ranging from 2k-12k over MSRP just because it’s SoCal...

Archangel

Archangel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R CW #00006
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've got an order for a Boost Blue 2020 Type R - but of course there is no R in stock for a test drive.
Instead I will be test driving an Si to get a feel for the Chassis only.

Did you test drive a R before ordering/purchasing
Nope Dealer wouldn't even let me sit in her till the papers were signed.
But I traded in a 17si coupe for the R so I had a good idea. A Si on roids.

PdxJose

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Wow reading everyone’s experience is crazy. I had no idea they don’t let people test drive CTR’s. It’s good and bad thing I guess haha. But tbh, if you’re looking for a CTR it’s because you already know what you’re getting yourself into (for the most part) Let the actual buyer put the miles on and not the people joy riding it.

Last edited:

bushido69

First Name
Hiro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Type R, 2012 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT, 2002 Lexus ES300
Country flag
the closest I ever got to a test drive was at the LA Auto show last year. 2020 SGP was on display and I sat in it like a little kid and pretended I was Speed Racer (aging myself). Picked mine up last Saturday with 6 miles and no test drive. Heck, it's been over 20 yrs since i drove a stick since my 95 Integra GS-R. There was a bit of learning curve but it's just like riding a bike or M/C again.

leolulz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type-R FK8 2017
Country flag
Maybe this is really different in Europe, i would never pay over 30000$ for a car if i wouldn't be able to get a feeling of how the car feels. Don't they store Demo cars for test drives?

Here in Sweden most if not all car specific dealerships store demo cars (and usually sell them abit cheaper when it's time for a new demo car).

For example i test drove a Cupra, Golf R, Audi S3, Ford Focus RS and ofcourse a Type-R that i own today!

J o n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Z/28, '22 Ridgeline , '22 CR-V Hybrid
Country flag
Didn't test drive nor even sit in one... Nor cared to do either

Last edited:

batman900

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type-R 2020 4Runner 2019 Camry 2011 Accord
Country flag
My R had 76 miles on it because test drives..... sigh ...... I know she got flogged..... My dealer let people test drive with a credit check. Wish they didn't.

Anyways, I agree with the few others that said an Si test drive won't compare to an R. Not in any way and I owned the current gen Si. It barely drives differently than any other turbo civic, they seriously didn't do the Si justice this generation. No offense to those that have one or like it I'm just a loyalist and it made me sad.

leolulz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type-R FK8 2017
Country flag
My R had 76 miles on it because test drives..... sigh ...... I know she got flogged..... My dealer let people test drive with a credit check. Wish they didn't.

Anyways, I agree with the few others that said an Si test drive won't compare to an R. Not in any way and I owned the current gen Si. It barely drives differently than any other turbo civic, they seriously didn't do the Si justice this generation. No offense to those that have one or like it I'm just a loyalist and it made me sad.
If it was YOUR car that YOU ordered it seems insane in my eyes that they let it be test driven.

But if it was a car that was on the floor just for sale it has to be expected, atleast overseas here.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
With almost every car except for some specialty cars, like the Type R, you can test drive them here in the USA. And for those cars they often will have a demo/test drive cars for the high end ones (such as Tesla, Audi, etc). But the CTRs are in such demand here in the states that very few dealers need to allow someone to test drive them.

In the Phoenix area that I live in there are about 6 Honda dealers, they each get 1-2 CTRs a month, half of them are sold before they arrive. The rest are sold in less than 2 weeks.

The dealers here see no reason to allow test drives, they don't need to incur the risk.

But, used CTRs you can test drive at a dealership. That's what I did.

batman900

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type-R 2020 4Runner 2019 Camry 2011 Accord
Country flag
If it was YOUR car that YOU ordered it seems insane in my eyes that they let it be test driven.

But if it was a car that was on the floor just for sale it has to be expected, atleast overseas here.
Yeah I understand that, I just know that being an enthusiast I won't flog a car until its broken in and most other people don't think that way. I bought the car anyways and didn't worry much because its a Honda and I buy them for their reliability.

Sadly they had a black R on the show room floor with the doors un-locked and I saw 2 family's let their kids jump inside and play with everything, no telling how long that had been going on, I was only there 45min.

Chee_hu

First Name
Sherwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
#611 Rallye Red CTR | 1998 Civic EX | 2007 Honda Fit Sport
Country flag
Nope. I couldn't even if I wanted to since it was purchased out of State. Got a call on a Thursday that it was ready for pick up, flew that night, drove it home the following day. This was all in August 2017.

edit: year

EdG

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I was able to test drive but that is unusual (in U.S.). They probably shouldn't let me. You should definitely sit in it and feel the everything (including clutch) before buying. No harm with that. I don't think an SI will give you the same feel so I would not sure that is a good comparison. If you are on the fence find a used one to test drive or better yet a Turo (if available). There will not be a huge difference with a used FK8 (in good shape) and 2020 model. I drove faster (0-60) sport sedans while looking but they were not as engaging as CTR. I am so glad I got to test drive it. It is my daily driver and I really enjoy it. It depends on the kind of experience you want while driving. Good luck.

18TypeR-13922

First Name
ADM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP CTR, 2022 MDX A-Spec, 2015 Accord EXL
Country flag
No test drive (July 2018). Sat in one at a dealer with a $12K markup that he wouldn't budge off of. Of course I walked. I've had 2 Integras and an RSX-S so I knew I was going to get it regardless. Just had to find the dealer with the right price.

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Picking mine up tomorrow, no test drive available. Dealer has it in the showroom floor locked. Pretty much have to buy to do anything, which is fine with me.
Sponsored