Did you notice a difference when changing from the ET60 offset?

Patrick Bateman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 FK8, ‘19 XC60 R-Design, ‘17 ZL1, ‘02 SS
Country flag
if your just cruising the blvd and posing It's not an issue, totally different if your at 10/10ths on the track.
Run both setups. Come back and tell us what’s faster on the track.

oak

First Name
wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic type r
Country flag
I come from many decades running porsches 911 and 911 turbos on the track. hondas never appealed to me due to the fact of the torque steer issue and all the front wheel drive characteristics. fine as a daily driver grocery getter but definately not something I would consider as a serious track tool. this is the first honda (and I have owned many over the years as dailys) that I can say the enginneers have crossed over to what I consider a true serious cross over. the factory set up is great on the track other than brake pads it will hold it's own in stock set up. I would even bet if possible stock rubber to stock 18" rubber with -38 off set would be slower with same pro driver.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
if you run a 9.5 +38 or lower i can see it as an aggressive offset but not everyone does. a 45 offset is not aggressive at all and needs no "hacking" to work.

oak

First Name
wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic type r
Country flag
I would say it would still be slower on a fast track if all else are the same. other than straight line accleration I see no other benefits handling wise. the 20" down side is the weight but you make up for it with much quicker response. if at a high speed track the 18" with the same rubber and pads would be a disadvantage once you can carry the momentum through the turns. honda engineers nailed it.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I come from many decades running porsches 911 and 911 turbos on the track. hondas never appealed to me due to the fact of the torque steer issue and all the front wheel drive characteristics. fine as a daily driver grocery getter but definately not something I would consider as a serious track tool. this is the first honda (and I have owned many over the years as dailys) that I can say the enginneers have crossed over to what I consider a true serious cross over. the factory set up is great on the track other than brake pads it will hold it's own in stock set up. I would even bet if possible stock rubber to stock 18" rubber with -38 off set would be slower with same pro driver.
You are probably right. There's a podcast floating around where they talked to one of the engineers about their approach to using 20s over the 19s in the previous gen. It's partially translated, but the net explanation amounted to partial rollover under max grip with the 19s.

Speed9117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CW CTR, 2005 S2000, 1993 EG, 1989 EF Si
Country flag
You are probably right. There's a podcast floating around where they talked to one of the engineers about their approach to using 20s over the 19s in the previous gen. It's partially translated, but the net explanation amounted to partial rollover under max grip with the 19s.
And the stupid 20" tires don't roll over? I've done 4 autocrosses on the stock 20s and I'm wearing the tops of the letters off the "Continental" because there's so little sidewall and it's basically rolled over as mounted. Terrible.

Speed9117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I would say it would still be slower on a fast track if all else are the same. other than straight line accleration I see no other benefits handling wise. the 20" down side is the weight but you make up for it with much quicker response. if at a high speed track the 18" with the same rubber and pads would be a disadvantage once you can carry the momentum through the turns. honda engineers nailed it.
You're missing the point though. The point of going to 18s is not to use an 8.5" wide wheel with a 245 Continental. It's to be able to run a wider wheel with wider, stickier tires, neither of which are available at stock diameter and offset.

oak

First Name
wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic type r
Country flag
And the stupid 20" tires don't roll over? I've done 4 autocrosses on the stock 20s and I'm wearing the tops of the letters off the "Continental" because there's so little sidewall and it's basically rolled over as mounted. Terrible.
has nothing to do with the wheel diameter. you just need to add some neg camber. use a temp gauge across the tread adjust camber til you have an even temp across the tread.

Speed9117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Lol so do you have an engineering degree? "Internet engineering" is a fun term, almost like fake news.
I do have an engineering degree, thank you.

All this talk about HoNdA mAdE iT pErFeCt and anything you do will ruin the car is ridiculous. I understand that technically, on paper that a lower offset wheel will increase scrub radius, but running a +40 wheel isn't going to fundamentally change how the car drives.

I have 18" wheels for daily duty and they are lovely. Less road noise, more compliance, and no noticeable torque steer... even SlAmMiNg ThRoUgH tHe GeArS bRo.

oak

First Name
wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic type r
Country flag
I do have an engineering degree, thank you.

All this talk about HoNdA mAdE iT pErFeCt and anything you do will ruin the car is ridiculous. I understand that technically, on paper that a lower offset wheel will increase scrub radius, but running a +40 wheel isn't going to fundamentally change how the car drives.

I have 18" wheels for daily duty and they are lovely. Less road noise, more compliance, and no noticeable torque steer... even SlAmMiNg ThRoUgH tHe GeArS bRo.
right on! do your thang! lol

Speed9117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
has nothing to do with the wheel diameter. you just need to add some neg camber. use a temp gauge across the tread adjust camber til you have an even temp across the tread.
Sure more camber would help, but I thought "Honda nailed it" and I'm running it with the camber they chose. Also it's neither here nor there, but camber adjustment isn't legal for DS autocross.

Also the stock 20" tire is basically stretched on the wheel... it's definitely not helping anything.

oak

First Name
wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic type r
Country flag
You're missing the point though. The point of going to 18s is not to use an 8.5" wide wheel with a 245 Continental. It's to be able to run a wider wheel with wider, stickier tires, neither of which are available at stock diameter and offset.
I understand totally, just don't see the advantage.

oak

First Name
wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic type r
Country flag
Sure more camber would help, but I thought "Honda nailed it" and I'm running it with the camber they chose. Also it's neither here nor there, but camber adjustment isn't legal for DS autocross.

Also the stock 20" tire is basically stretched on the wheel... it's definitely not helping anything.
I feel ya, but stock for stock it's no slouch. how are you doing in your class?
Sponsored