Did you buy your Type R out of state and if so, what transport company did you go with?

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Type R, 08 CRV, 06 Oddy, 14 Accord 9th Gen V6
Country flag
Hello fellow members- I’m trying to get a general idea of what are the most reliable door-to-door transport companies that would bring my 2020 across the country. There are so many reviews across the board online and they’re mixed bag reviews. I found my Type R at a dealership who sold it to me for MSRP at a most peculiar location all the way in the state of Vermont. It will be a long haul from East coast to West. I’m contemplating whether it’s economically feasible to consider an enclosed transport as they tend to be about 40% more in price than opposed to open. The vehicle would be well protected during its journey through all sorts of weather conditions, flying rocks and debris, etc.

I’ve heard other Members went with opened carriers and their cars were just fine when they got theirs delivered. Any feedback about your experiences would greatly be appreciated. I’m hoping to ship the vehicle from the dealership sometime at the end of this week. Them holding the vehicle for me is no issue as well. The R is currently adorning their brand new show room with a sold sign on it. It’s the first R being sold from that brand new dealership which is special for me as it is for them.

Would it be better to deal directly with the transport company, a major company like Montway or Mercury, or with a smaller broker?
Sponsored

frodooftheshire

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WRX series gray
Country flag
Shipped from MIssouri to Oregon (enclosed trailer). Used Sweed Logistics:
Cyndy LaManna
Sweet Logistics , LLC
949-456-2184
Total cost was $1,695.00
Very happy with the whole process.
Cyndy was great to work with.

If I remember correctly open trailer would have been around $1200-1300. To me...$400-500 extra dollars was worth it to know it would be protected against the elements.

Last edited:

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's summer. Enclosed for sure. Uship.com and Montway. I had good experience with Montway transporting (enclosed) my CTR from PA to CA.

WhatThePuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Acura Rsx (sold), '19 CW CTR 23909
Country flag
I shipped mine from Zimbrick Honda in Wisconsin to Northern CO; enclosed shipping $1100, went through a broker and a small company called IFG Transport handled it. It was 1 of 2 cars in their trailer, the dealer sent me photos of them loading it. They unloaded it with just as much care as when they loaded it. Really nice guys, gave them some extra $.

Iilac

Spelled with a I not a L for Iilac.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000, CTR, TUNDRA, MAXIMA, CX9
Country flag
Open trailer from NY to California, Dealer split shipping with me. Around 900 bux back in 2018. No complaints here but the car came dirty as hell but besides that, no scratches or anything else. Vehicle was delivered in 2 days and was really surprised that it came that fast, the driver team didn't stop for no breaks....ha.

OP
OP
MrTuckers

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Open trailer from NY to California, Dealer split shipping with me. Around 900 bux back in 2018. No complaints here but the car came dirty as hell but besides that, no scratches or anything else. Vehicle was delivered in 2 days and was really surprised that it came that fast, the driver team didn't stop for no breaks....ha.
Whoa- how did you get the dealer to split with you? Did they offer of did you ask if they can provide this service?

Nnkfws333

First Name
Nghi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2013 Infiniti G37 and 2003 Acura RSX
Country flag
I used UShip and Montway before in the past with other cars and had good luck with open container shipping. The car is just dirty when it arrives though.

I did buy my CTR out of state and used ShipWit(broker). I will never use them again. I got quoted a price of $635 and I put down a $135 to pay the broker to find me a shipper. I got a text from a shipper saying they are at the stealership ready to pick up the car. I was like great, let's do this.
I then get a phone call from ShipWit late in the day letting me know the car was picked up and I should have gotten an email. I got no email, so they sent me an email with for confirmation of pickup with updated price of now $785. I was quite furious as I never got this email to confirm the updated price and if I known I would have never agreed to have the car picked up(now I have to pay as the shipper has my car and it's on it's way). It took me a week of arguing with them, talking to 3 different people and constantly calling them as they were ignoring me to get a refund. They were making excuses at first saying thats the best price and no one would take it at that price but I kept telling them that is fine but as a customer let me make the decision and as a process I need to confirm not you. At the end they finally admitted it was their fault for not contacting me for the updated pricing and the dispatcher forgot to contact me. I got my $135 deposit refunded to me.

OP
OP
MrTuckers

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I used UShip and Montway before in the past with other cars and had good luck with open container shipping. The car is just dirty when it arrives though.

I did buy my CTR out of state and used ShipWit(broker). I will never use them again. I got quoted a price of $635 and I put down a $135 to pay the broker to find me a shipper. I got a text from a shipper saying they are at the stealership ready to pick up the car. I was like great, let's do this.
I then get a phone call from ShipWit late in the day letting me know the car was picked up and I should have gotten an email. I got no email, so they sent me an email with for confirmation of pickup with updated price of now $785. I was quite furious as I never got this email to confirm the updated price and if I known I would have never agreed to have the car picked up(now I have to pay as the shipper has my car and it's on it's way). It took me a week of arguing with them, talking to 3 different people and constantly calling them as they were ignoring me to get a refund. They were making excuses at first saying thats the best price and no one would take it at that price but I kept telling them that is fine but as a customer let me make the decision and as a process I need to confirm not you. At the end they finally admitted it was their fault for not contacting me for the updated pricing and the dispatcher forgot to contact me. I got my $135 deposit refunded to me.
Man, I'm really sorry about your experience. That's the sort of experience that I'm trying to avoid and I'm hoping nobody else has to ever go through. It's a contract that the driver accepted- I wonder if the driver asked for more money or did the broker?

Anyways, what's written on your agreement should have been honored. Maybe there's something hidding in the fine print which allows them to dick-around with folks, which I still find is not right to do. I understand that they're not responsible for nicks, damages, acts of God, etc. for open transport, but to do this to a customer deserves a bad review- write your story to every website you can find out there so that others will avoid this place as well. Now I'm wondering if we should create a "Naughty Transporters" page in addition to "Awesome Transporters".

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

OP
OP
MrTuckers

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Shipped from MIssouri to Oregon (enclosed trailer). Used Sweed Logistics:
Cyndy LaManna
Sweet Logistics , LLC
949-456-2184
Total cost was $1,695.00
Very happy with the whole process.
Cyndy was great to work with.

If I remember correctly open trailer would have been around $1200-1300. To me...$400-500 extra dollars was worth it to know it would be protected against the elements.
I got a reply back from Cyndy this morning. Her standard email was thorough and she explained the entire process and highlighted important key areas in the quote. She then followed up with a personal email asking if I got the quote and I said I did. Apparently, she is the person running the entire show as the facebook page claims she started the business. I also like the fact that she's based on the west coast so contacting her in the same time zone is a plus. I was quoted $1600 for opened/ $2000 for enclosed. Other places charged more for enclosed so going with her is a strong possibility right now and she's in the top 3.

Jimmyjambo_fk8

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Hello fellow members- I’m trying to get a general idea of what are the most reliable door-to-door transport companies that would bring my 2020 across the country. There are so many reviews across the board online and they’re mixed bag reviews. I found my Type R at a dealership who sold it to me for MSRP at a most peculiar location all the way in the state of Vermont. It will be a long haul from East coast to West. I’m contemplating whether it’s economically feasible to consider an enclosed transport as they tend to be about 40% more in price than opposed to open. The vehicle would be well protected during its journey through all sorts of weather conditions, flying rocks and debris, etc.

I’ve heard other Members went with opened carriers and their cars were just fine when they got theirs delivered. Any feedback about your experiences would greatly be appreciated. I’m hoping to ship the vehicle from the dealership sometime at the end of this week. Them holding the vehicle for me is no issue as well. The R is currently adorning their brand new show room with a sold sign on it. It’s the first R being sold from that brand new dealership which is special for me as it is for them.

Would it be better to deal directly with the transport company, a major company like Montway or Mercury, or with a smaller broker?
Where are you transporting to?

Nnkfws333

First Name
Nghi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2013 Infiniti G37 and 2003 Acura RSX
Country flag
Man, I'm really sorry about your experience. That's the sort of experience that I'm trying to avoid and I'm hoping nobody else has to ever go through. It's a contract that the driver accepted- I wonder if the driver asked for more money or did the broker?

Anyways, what's written on your agreement should have been honored. Maybe there's something hidding in the fine print which allows them to dick-around with folks, which I still find is not right to do. I understand that they're not responsible for nicks, damages, acts of God, etc. for open transport, but to do this to a customer deserves a bad review- write your story to every website you can find out there so that others will avoid this place as well. Now I'm wondering if we should create a "Naughty Transporters" page in addition to "Awesome Transporters".
The car had no dings or dents so I was happy but the process was horrible. The drivers were asking more but the broker should have contacted me to let me decide if I want to continue or go with another broker. Maybe other people had better luck with them but I will never use their services again. If they just admitted it a first and gave me a refund I would have recommended them.

OP
OP
MrTuckers

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The car had no dings or dents so I was happy but the process was horrible. The drivers were asking more but the broker should have contacted me to let me decide if I want to continue or go with another broker. Maybe other people had better luck with them but I will never use their services again. If they just admitted it a first and gave me a refund I would have recommended them.
With those thoughts in mind, if the driver wouldn't release the vehicle based on said agreed price, would you have the option to call the police, show them the agreed contract and pricing and have them help you sort out the matter? Last thing I want to do is get in a scuffle with Bubba (I picture most of these drivers looking like former WWE wrestlers, big dudes). Either that, or the broker has to pony-up the difference and they can't be there physically to defend you.

Iilac

Spelled with a I not a L for Iilac.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000, CTR, TUNDRA, MAXIMA, CX9
Country flag
Whoa- how did you get the dealer to split with you? Did they offer of did you ask if they can provide this service?
It was part of the negotiations. The dealership setup everything for me. Really painless and I would do it again.
Sponsored