Did you buy the extras?

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
Thanks. Good information. So when the sticker states "smart entry with security system", what is that? A start disabling system? I would need to get a 3rd party alarm installed if I want an alarm?

That, I wouldn't mind. What's the prevailing opinion of the DIY offerings?
Smart entry I think refers to being able to unlock the door as long as the key is close enough to the car ie. your pocket, without having to push the button on the key.

Most DIY ceramics are fine, simple wipe on, wipe off. Just follow their instructions carefully. DIY's typically only last a year or 2, longer with proper maintenance.
Sponsored

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe (MSM)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just bought a 2020 Civic Si, for which I refused all the 'extras', which I know are inflated in price and importance. I'm wondering what other new car buyers think. Did y'all buy the ext. warranty, accessory pack, etc? If not, are you buying any 'consumer packages' in the after market?
I worked mine like this: I had put a $250 deposit down, to hold the car for 3 days (until I could drive down and get it). Working thru my bank, I traveled with a check (made out to the dealership) for the exact amount we had negotiated (this price did not include the deposit money I had put down). I offered, to "trade" my deposit money for the all season floor mats, trunk tray and spare tire kit, in order simplify the transaction for the dealership (easier for the dealership to do this, than it is for them to issue a check back to me on a weekend).

The only hassle was the spare tire kit. Took 3 months (or was it 4?) for them to ship it to me.
(The first one I received was for the Sedan, not the Coupe). Took a few more weeks to receive the correct one, for my Coupe. I've felt better, ever since ... just knowing I have a spare.

(Side Note: My dealership Salesman didn't even know that the Si models lack a spare tire! My sales person called all the other sales people over to show them ... and none of THEM knew either. I'm sure that they were glad to know about that ... because they could then SELL new buyers a spare tire kit!)

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
I worked mine like this: I had put a $250 deposit down, to hold the car for 3 days (until I could drive down and get it). Working thru my bank, I traveled with a check (made out to the dealership) for the exact amount we had negotiated (this price did not include the deposit money I had put down). I offered, to "trade" my deposit money for the all season floor mats, trunk tray and spare tire kit, in order simplify the transaction for the dealership (easier for the dealership to do this, than it is for them to issue a check back to me on a weekend).

The only hassle was the spare tire kit. Took 3 months (or was it 4?) for them to ship it to me.
(The first one I received was for the Sedan, not the Coupe). Took a few more weeks to receive the correct one, for my Coupe. I've felt better, ever since ... just knowing I have a spare.

(Side Note: My dealership Salesman didn't even know that the Si models lack a spare tire! My sales person called all the other sales people over to show them ... and none of THEM knew either. I'm sure that they were glad to know about that ... because they could then SELL new buyers a spare tire kit!)
Personally, I'd be annoyed if they offered to sell me something I think should be included from the factory.

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Personally, I'd be annoyed if they offered to sell me something I think should be included from the factory.
They sell the Si with the "Inflator Kit", that sits in a form fitted foam piece, in the spare tire well. However, due to the center exhaust that the Si has, the floor of the spare tire well is 3" higher, making the spare tire well too shallow to accommodate the spare tire. So, the spare tire kit for the Si includes a set of 3" foam pieces that fit under the trunk carpet ... thus raising the bottom of the trunk. It's not the cleanest design I've ever seen from Honda ... but it works for me, and I'm happy with it.

OP
OP
Bob.

Bob.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
Smart entry I think refers to being able to unlock the door as long as the key is close enough to the car ie. your pocket, without having to push the button on the key.

Most DIY ceramics are fine, simple wipe on, wipe off. Just follow their instructions carefully. DIY's typically only last a year or 2, longer with proper maintenance.
Yes, I'm familiar with the Smart Entry, but the 'and security system' has me a bit puzzled.

OP
OP
Bob.

Bob.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
They sell the Si with the "Inflator Kit", that sits in a form fitted foam piece, in the spare tire well. However, due to the center exhaust that the Si has, the floor of the spare tire well is 3" higher, making the spare tire well too shallow to accommodate the spare tire. So, the spare tire kit for the Si includes a set of 3" foam pieces that fit under the trunk carpet ... thus raising the bottom of the trunk. It's not the cleanest design I've ever seen from Honda ... but it works for me, and I'm happy with it.
I'll likely order the spare kit as well. I never did like fix-a-flat style kits, plus if you shred your tire, you either have to find a ride, buy a new tire and come back or call road service (not sure what they'd do if the tire was destroyed other than maybe tow it in or loan you a spare).

Last edited:

Donkeyhotay123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatch
Country flag
Thanks. Good information. So when the sticker states "smart entry with security system", what is that? A start disabling system? I would need to get a 3rd party alarm installed if I want an alarm?
Smart entry is the fancy system where you stick your hand behind the door handle and the car unlocks. Then when you push the button the car locks. "Security system" is the feature where you can make the doors lock when you get into the car and shift away from neutral or park... And make the car lock when you walk away from the car. These are bare minimum features with a really cool name.

The additional "security system" that they try to pressure you to purchase is a trigger and an external blinky LED module. It is hooked up to your car's physical sensor array... often by shitty splices or T-Taps. Also think of this. If you didn't pay for the aftermarket alarm, the module was cheap enough that the dealership didn't bother to go in rip it out of the car.

That, I wouldn't mind. What's the prevailing opinion of the DIY offerings?
I'm not able to provide a good answer here. I have a bottle of Maguiars hybrid ceramic wax. Not because I have an opinion of it, but rather because someone gifted the bottle to me when I got the car. Seems like it works ok. Not gonna prevent a rock chip... but it does make the car easier to wash.

NazTehRpR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Sedan Sport, '08 GSXR 600
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I got the mudguards but got rid of them when I added side skirts. The car already came with the white Honda strip flowing along the car and also the door edge guard, so they slapped for free since they had to get my car from another dealer and it was pre-added. Did ALOT of negotiations for the factory warranties and extended warranties, plus I wanted the pulse safety in there as well. I also got the monthly payments I wanted and refused to go out of that set range. Idk why, but the guys hand were shaking almost the entire time. Idk if I scared him, but he went to the manager twice bout the prices I wanted, and he approved. Guess I learned well from watching my mom. ??‍♂

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bob.

Bob.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
I just checked with Honda. Seems the "spare kit" doesn't come with the spare, Lol. The spare tire is separate and extra. Between the 2, I'm looking at close to $400 +tax. Did you get yours from the dealer, or can it be obtained elsewhere for cheaper?

OP
OP
Bob.

Bob.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
Smart entry is the fancy system where you stick your hand behind the door handle and the car unlocks. Then when you push the button the car locks. "Security system" is the feature where you can make the doors lock when you get into the car and shift away from neutral or park... And make the car lock when you walk away from the car. These are bare minimum features with a really cool name.

The additional "security system" that they try to pressure you to purchase is a trigger and an external blinky LED module. It is hooked up to your car's physical sensor array... often by shitty splices or T-Taps. Also think of this. If you didn't pay for the aftermarket alarm, the module was cheap enough that the dealership didn't bother to go in rip it out of the car.

I'm not able to provide a good answer here. I have a bottle of Maguiars hybrid ceramic wax. Not because I have an opinion of it, but rather because someone gifted the bottle to me when I got the car. Seems like it works ok. Not gonna prevent a rock chip... but it does make the car easier to wash.
I've noticed that when the car is locked (via walkaway or FOB button), a red LED flashes beneath the temp gauge. I assumed that was the alarm. I looked under the dash and (sort of) behind the glove box, but couldn't see any wiring that didn't look factory.

As to DIY ceramic, from what I've heard, it's better protection than waxing and, presumably, lasts longer than wax.

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just checked with Honda. Seems the "spare kit" doesn't come with the spare, Lol. The spare tire is separate and extra. Between the 2, I'm looking at close to $400 +tax. Did you get yours from the dealer, or can it be obtained elsewhere for cheaper?
Mine came with the tire as part of the kit.
That said, I have seen where PLENTY of folks will get the spare from a junk / salvage yard.
I've even seen someone who found an aluminum spare wheel & tire, from an Acura.

KYRGYZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic LX, 18 Model X 100D
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I'm glad I bought extra warranty... my car is out of factory warranty (3 years) but today my extended warranty kicked in... Honda replaced driver seat base and it cost them $1300...

OP
OP
Bob.

Bob.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
As far as extended warranties go, are their non-OEM warranties worth buying available after you've bought the car?

OP
OP
Bob.

Bob.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
Talked to Honda. The 'security system' is in the key...without the key chip for that car, it can't be started. I doubt that applies to accomplished car thieves, though.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No. I ordered the car w/no extras. When they got the car and it had dealer extras installed from the transfer dealer... they came “free” to me with the car.
Sponsored